Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 08:35 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,436,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
If you are talking about the Bitterroot range then take a real good look at them. First off it all National Forest land and straight up and down. There is no way these folks can get away with living there.
Now take a good look at the mountains on the east side of the valley. The Sapphire range is also federal property in the Bitterroot National forest and Lolo national forest. You wont get away with squatting on federal land in Montana. What is left ? The valley, that is mostly private property, very expensive, and developing very quickly. I think The OP chose the wrong state. Try Alaska or plunk down tons of money for a private hunk of wilderness like property. Huey Lewis's old hot spring resort (Sleeping Child) near Sula is for sale. I think they want like four million for it. If someone tries to squat on state or federal lands they will get busted so quick. Even the private property way up in the *** is very expensive and surrounded by public lands. There is only so much land that is livable and for sale and it's all very pricey. The rest is unlivable and/or government owned. Come to Montana to "live off the land" and bring tons of money to make it happen or homestead (squat) on public land and end up either in jail or being told to move on and don't come back. There is one more option that is doable, buy a mining claim property. You can find them in the mountains, they have seasonal access and are not very expensive. You will be snowed in for the majority of the year as even snowmobiles get bogged down in deep soft snow and on these claims very often the water source is contaminated. You can always just live in a small town and forget the Grizzly Adams Idea, visit the mountains in the summer and be comfortable in the winter.
This is true...I was thinking more like Pinesdale or Darby maybe. I just remember going to that apple festival they have in Hamilton every year and seeing these naturalists/mountain people that come from out of the hills. But you are right, probobly not going to find total seclusion in the Bitterroot unless you are doing someting illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 09:41 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,074,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
This is true...I was thinking more like Pinesdale or Darby maybe. I just remember going to that apple festival they have in Hamilton every year and seeing these naturalists/mountain people that come from out of the hills. But you are right, probobly not going to find total seclusion in the Bitterroot unless you are doing someting illegal.
That big apple crusher at the apple days in Hamilton is something else isn't it ? The folks that you see dressed like mountain men at that fest are just valley and town folks who like to dress that way for the festival. You see those types at the gun shows also along with people who dress up like Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, much like folks dress up at renaissance fairs and mountain man rendezvous. I've lived in Montana for many years vending my handcrafted products at all of these types of fairs and festivals and have met tons of people (how many people are in a ton ?), anyway my point is that a lot of people move here with the idea of living off the land, just to get chewed up and spit out by this state. You have to be pretty tough to live here, even in town. Last winter we had some -35 deg F without any windchill factored in and we aren't even in the mountains. I would highly recommend that anyone wanting to move here should visit first in all four seasons, winter, winter, winter and summer !

Old 04-28-2009, 11:12 AM

369 posts, read 1,455,384 times
PerduePro says:
Quote:
Maybe I shouldn't have said completely self sufficient. We will be living off grid and will be using solar and wind energy. We will also be burning wood for heat and hot water via a broiler type system. It's funny that you mentioned a vegetable garden, we will also be building a green house, to supplement our food supply. Anyway, I'm sure you get the idea. We're just getting back to basics as much as possible. As far as access to certain areas, I guess that's where snowmobiles and off road vehicles come into play.
Be sure to let someone know where you'll be doing this so the authorities can recover your bodies in the Spring.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:52 PM

27 posts, read 89,635 times
We wish that we could buy a mining claim but as you said, most are contaminated. Too bad.

I hear ya Grizz, you may be right!

Old 04-29-2009, 11:00 AM

5 posts, read 23,092 times
Oh no, that is just the scariest thing I have heard of today. "We have done all of the statistical analysis and graphed the results in a scientific approach". "picture perfect location, living off the grid, with a primitive feel".

Oh wait, maybe they have an H3 Hummer, that's ok then, whew!!!

Old 04-30-2009, 11:50 AM

1,436 posts, read 3,303,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balljoint_ View Post
Go up in the ***. NW of Libby. But be careful, even Montanans think that place is weird.lol

If being in Montana is comparable to jail (or anything else) that place is solitary confinement.
The Yaak ! Scary place... Herd some unbelievable stories about that corner of the state. Being the adventuring type, not sure if I'd even venture too deep into it !!!

Game wardens and the likes avoid that corner all together from what I have heard. Only the border patrol ventures up there. Guess that is a good crossing spot... as long as you don't run into the wrong "local" . The movie Deliverance comes to mind...

Old 05-03-2009, 12:55 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,074,064 times
I have no fear of traveling up into the Yaak. (My cousins live there ! ) I'm always packing and carry a Dundee knife ! If you don't gawk or trespass you will be fine. If you go there to hike in the woods or go fishing, take bear spray, walk slow and make noise. That is grizzly country big time.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:18 PM

193 posts, read 463,669 times
Quote:
If you go there to hike in the woods or go fishing, take bear spray, walk slow and make noise. That is grizzly country big time.
Yes, make noise so you don't startle an unsuspecting bear. Some say tie small bells to your boot laces.

And make sure you can tell the difference between Black bear and Grizzly bear scat.

Black bear scat usually contains berries and small bone fragments from rodents. Grizz scat smells like pepper spray and has small bells in it..

Old 05-03-2009, 01:33 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,303,943 times
Quote:
I have no fear of traveling up into the Yaak. (My cousins live there ! ) I'm always packing and carry a Dundee knife ! If you don't gawk or trespass you will be fine. If you go there to hike in the woods or go fishing, take bear spray, walk slow and make noise. That is grizzly country big time.
Which cousins ? These ones...

That's what I'm talkin bout . Wrong Turn III in the making

Old 05-03-2009, 01:40 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,682,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Yes, make noise so you don't startle an unsuspecting bear. Some say tie small bells to your boot laces.

And make sure you can tell the difference between Black bear and Grizzly bear scat.

Black bear scat usually contains berries and small bone fragments from rodents. Grizz scat smells like pepper spray and has small bells in it..
H to the L!
If I am close enough to look at the scat, I am just too close period.
Where is the shotgun?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana