Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:30 AM

40 posts, read 90,957 times

Advertisements

I made the move to Helena (found a nice apartment on the last full day of my first visit here in May) earlier in the month and absolutely love it!

The people here are so nice it's almost scary.

I've done a bit of walking and found it to be a breeze, especially compared to the hills of San Francisco. Granted it's Summer and not Winter, but still, flat is flat.

I do all my own cooking, so can only comment that the prices for food, at least at Safeway, are equal or lower than what I'm used to.

And for those that are wondering, I left California IN California. I'm not going to change anything here.

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know how appreciative I am for all the advice given over the last year and a half.

Once again - Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 08:01 AM

120 posts, read 378,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-Bound View Post
I made the move to Helena (found a nice apartment on the last full day of my first visit here in May) earlier in the month and absolutely love it!

The people here are so nice it's almost scary.
Glad you made it and your move turned out so well! You'll have to keep everyone updated as the year moves along.

Coming from CA myself, I know exactly what you mean by people being so nice it's scary. "Why are you smiling at me? Why are you being so nice? Am I on Candid Camera? Hey, this guy is acting nice too, what gives? You guys are going to punk me, aren't you?". Really, the innate and subtle hostility in SoCal was that intense that leaving it for a place like MT is that startling. I've heard similar things from many other people as well.

So maybe it's all a matter of perspective. If you come from paradise, maybe MT isn't all that special. If you come from hell, it's almost heaven.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:28 AM

503 posts, read 1,454,476 times
I am new to the board. I am so happy you found a nice place to live! Hubby was raised in Mt and we are moving back to be near his family and escape the Cali crisis.

How is the job market in Helena?

Old 06-24-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodderman View Post
Glad you made it and your move turned out so well! You'll have to keep everyone updated as the year moves along.

Coming from CA myself, I know exactly what you mean by people being so nice it's scary. "Why are you smiling at me? Why are you being so nice? Am I on Candid Camera? Hey, this guy is acting nice too, what gives? You guys are going to punk me, aren't you?". Really, the innate and subtle hostility in SoCal was that intense that leaving it for a place like MT is that startling. I've heard similar things from many other people as well.

So maybe it's all a matter of perspective. If you come from paradise, maybe MT isn't all that special. If you come from hell, it's almost heaven.
I shall definitely keep everyone informed as the year (and seasons) progress. My family has been so supportive of my move. They knew my reasons, especially my dad, who was born and raised in Idaho.

Yeah, I see people smiling at me and my first thought (a result of growing up in a bad part of SF) is "You're going to jump me aren't you?". Instead though, I smile back and feel great. Cars wave me through the crosswalk instead of flipping me off and/or honking their horn. I agree that it has to be perspective.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertrose34 View Post
I am new to the board. I am so happy you found a nice place to live! Hubby was raised in Mt and we are moving back to be near his family and escape the Cali crisis.

How is the job market in Helena?
Thanks for the support!

As for the job market, it really depends on your skill set. I'm using a temp agency, which is what I use everywhere, as I don't have a college degree, but a long, steady work history. I also run my own consulting business, though that is yet to produce anything as I'm just now beginning to meet people. But word of mouth is bound to help out in the long run.

I would check out Helena Job Service Workforce Center
especially if you have documented trade skills. And of course, there are several temp agencies. Good luck!

Old 06-24-2009, 05:49 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,063,650 times
Now you'll have to change your screen name to Mt-Found !!!

Old 06-24-2009, 06:30 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,673,900 times
Glad it is working well for you!

Old 06-24-2009, 11:32 PM

684 posts, read 1,150,517 times
Hope it works well for you. I grew up in Helena; a nice town.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Now you'll have to change your screen name to Mt-Found !!!
I was thinking "MT-Here" (gotta love wordplay ), but your suggestion works as well.

I did edit my location though, and am helping people who are thinking of moving to SF, as it is where I was born, it will always have a place in my heart.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine
Glad it is working well for you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky1949 View Post
Hope it works well for you. I grew up in Helena; a nice town.
Thanks to you both.

My first friend here is a Helena native, so it's a big help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: