U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 03:37 PM

3 posts, read 9,039 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to figure the quickest route from Theo Roosevelt National Park in ND to Devil's Tower and Route 7 to Baker looks pretty good but from the map sites I've found I can't tell what the roads are like South of Baker. My primary plan would be Route 7 to Ekalaka and Route 323 to Alazda, but there is a road to Hammond that would work too. I can't even tell if the roads are paved all the way. I'll be traveling in a (hopefully) reliable rental car and it will be mid to late September. I'm hoping someone can tell me what to expect, their recommendations and some guess at the legal speed I might average.

Thanks much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 10:00 PM

24 posts, read 58,057 times
Highway 7 is paved all the way to Ekalaka. Route 323 to Alzada is partially paved with about 20 miles of gravel in the middle. There was talk of a project to finish paving the road, but I don't know if it's been done yet. Speed limits on most of Montana's 2 lane highways is 70 daytime and 65 night. Best not to drive that fast on the gravel. Cell phone coverage through there is limited depending on your provider, some providers will not have any service in the southeast corner of the state. A somewhat scenic route for the adventuresome individual.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:23 AM

155 posts, read 673,006 times
It is also paved from Alzada all the way to Devils Tower. The drive from Baker to Alzada might not be the most scenic but if into getting from point A to point B quick that is how I would go. Alzada to devils tower is not a bad drive.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:54 PM

3 posts, read 9,039 times
Well, I guess we are bailing out on this route. Too bad, sounded like fun to me. Primary concerns are damage to the rental car (we have had bad luck on gravel roads in the past) and a couple of map sites suggest 1:45 hours to travel a little over 50 miles. 30 mph! So we are going down I-85 in the Dakotas and then cutting over. Nevertheless, the help is greatly appreciated.

John

Old 07-17-2009, 09:52 AM

7,904 posts, read 13,738,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspikaroo View Post
Highway 7 is paved all the way to Ekalaka. Route 323 to Alzada is partially paved with about 20 miles of gravel in the middle. There was talk of a project to finish paving the road, but I don't know if it's been done yet.
This made me get out the map and look... and here's Capitol Rock which I'd never heard of before! Looks quite impressive.

And here's something else interesting -- http://www.locatetv.com/tv/backroads-of-montana/2713605

Old 08-12-2009, 11:44 AM

7 posts, read 18,211 times
I'd look at the route again. If you really want to see what the Old West was like, driving south of Ekalaka to Alzada will give you a very good idea. As long as it hasn't been raining right before you attempt the trip, you'll see some very pretty scenery and the additional time traveling will be pretty miniscule.

Dave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: