Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 11:27 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,063,464 times

Advertisements

What can you tell me about Flathead Valley Community College?
How many students attend there? I couldn't find any info. on their site.
One thing i noticed was their tuition especially out of state is outrageous. I have looked at several community colleges around the country and that right now is the most expensive I have seen.
Thanks

Last edited by Radical_Car; 09-15-2009 at 11:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 11:52 AM

317 posts, read 1,090,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
What can you tell me about Flathead Valley Community College?
Students will pronounce the name Fa-va-ca-ca.

Maybe this wasn't what your looking for.

It's a 2 year school that offers the basic courses for a student. You can get a degree there and the intent is that many students will transfer to a 4 year college.

I don't know how many students go to school there, but I'd guess a couple thousand. It's not huge.

As far as college, I'd say FVCC is rather lifeless. I never considered going to school there, instead I went straight to a 4 year college to get my degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
One thing i noticed was their tuition especially out of state is outrageous. I have looked at several community colleges around the country and that right now is the most expensive I have seen.
Welcome to out of state college, brother! Heck yeah it's expensive to be out of state.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:19 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
Thanks, I will remember that people pronounce it Fa-va-ca-ca, lol.
I just checked collegeboard.com (don't know why I didn't check it before i originally posted but w/e), and it says they have 1899 undergrads.
It's pretty small.
I love small towns, love the country, love mountains, and I wouldn't mind that it is lifeless. Sounds perfect to me, because I am not a big city kind of person.
I have looked at community colleges all over the place, and so far this is the most expensive for out of state, I myself in my freetime look stuff up like that, especially since I am a junior in high school and am starting to look at colleges and what not.
I remember my older sister looking at some private for profit school in florida i think? Can't remember but it wasn't accredited and it was a 21 month program that they said was equivalent to a regular 4 year bachelors. And the cost for the 21 month program was like 70000 dollars! And you still need housing, which that college didn't provide, food, and everything else. Sadly I don't remember the name... maybe when I see my older sister again I can ask.
I honestly won't mind the out of state tuition, as long as I keep my mind straight and graduate, I personally know many people who dropped out of college then are working at Mcdonalds with a ton of debt... like one of my older sister's friends, and one of my older cousin's girlfriend.
You only graduate high school once, and an education IMO is priceless, and being out of state and living on your own will also teach you a lot, and will help you be independent.
Some people don't like the idea of being far away in an unfamiliar environment, but I love that idea.
I will still definitely be visiting whatever college I decide to attend, my parents are cool with me going out of state and will fly me out to a college somewhere to visit, but of course they will only take me to one college.

Im from minnesota btw...

Last edited by Radical_Car; 09-15-2009 at 12:28 PM..

Old 09-15-2009, 04:05 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
When I was a student there, we called it F-V-C-C. We enoyed our classes, had some very lively discussions, especially in Economics and Psychology.
As with most schools (or jobs, or clubs, or whatever), it is what you make it. If you go in there with an attitude, you will likely not be accepted by the other students. You will likely not enjoy the classes, you will likely not get along with the instructors; to put it bluntly, it will be a waste of your time, a waste of your money, and a waste of the instructors efforts. You will quite literally be a waste of space.
However, if you go there with the attitude that they CAN teach you something, and you will make every effort to learn everything they can teach, and then some, you will succeed beyond your wildest dreams.
It is up to you.
Good luck.

As for a school that can give you a four year degree in 21 months, I can believe it! But then, I got most of my technical education in military schools, where you learn what you need to know, nothing else, and VERY quickly! For example, look at the Navy's Nuclear Power Program. When it comes to intensive learning, THAT is about the epitome!

Old 09-15-2009, 09:28 PM

I don't remember what the school was, but it was one that like advertised on late night tv and brags how it has like a 95% job placement rate, and the school isn't accredited.
It was quite a few years ago too when I saw it.

I think one of my other concerns is what is it like living in Kalispell?
Obviously a community college is a community college, I love country and living in very rural places, but have never been to Montana. I have been to many states around it.

And another question I have that I should of asked earlier, how much is housing like apartments and how easy is it to find some? I have looked at craigslist but really isn't a lot posted there, and I am thinking Montana might be a little expensive(?) but don't know for sure, and looking at craigslist especially for a small city that theres only a few ads for really isn't a good way to determine what the cost of living is like.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:30 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
It has been many years since I moved away from the Flathead Valley, and I have no intention of ever going back, except for brief visits.
I have heard that housing has gotten quite expensive in and around Kalispell, but I don't know for sure.
Try a Google for "rentals, kalispell, mt" and see what comes up.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana