U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 11:52 PM

18,696 posts, read 40,083,287 times

Advertisements

The unfortunate thing about this is that a lot of people have no idea if they are legal workers, or illegal workers. There, in lies, the heartburn towards people that don't deserve it.

I've lived and worked in Montana, but it was a lot of years ago. (1972) There weren't any problems back then. But there were a large number of migrant, legal workers. In todays society of the news hype of the influx of illegal migration, people are, rightfully, paranoid.

Today, I do a lot of my shopping in Montana and I see Hispanics shopping also. I don't see any outward problems. But, then again, I'm not living in the neighborhoods, listenting to the gossip.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-13-2009, 06:32 AM

6,258 posts, read 14,045,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad4JC View Post
My friend who moved to Montana a few years ago had brought his Mexican workers from California to work on his ranch. They were supposed to stay there a few weeks and didn’t stay longer than a few days because of the harassment they experienced by the locals. Now in my honest opinion I don’t think it was necessarily because they were Mexican but because they were considered “cheap labor” being brought into Montana taking the jobs of the locals. I guess from what I was told was they couldn’t even go to the local grocery store without getting rude comments, threats and dirty looks from people. This information is just second hand from my friend so maybe one of the locals on this thread can confirm if this type of attitude is common or not. On one hand I can totally understand the locals being threatened by “cheap labor” coming in and taking their jobs but on the other hand I don’t think that excuses their rudeness. Just my opinion.
LOL!
Honey the above applies to anyone new in Montana, and I am quite Lilly white.
Relax, life is good.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:59 AM

95 posts, read 170,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
You seem to be asking the same question, or something very similar about minorities all over the country.

May I ask why you want to know about Montana? Any desire to move here or visit? Doing your college term paper? Or just curious?

One off topic comment and I'll close this thread!
I am just curious and bored at work. LOL

Old 09-13-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
There seems to be some in the Billings area. A good way to find out who is around is to have a rummage sale. All kinds of people show up!
IMO, the Hispanics who came to our recent sale weren't making any effort at all, or minimal effort, to "assimilate". They chattered away in their "native tongue", apparently uncaring that those around them might consider it rude to do so. However, when it came to bargaining for a reduced price on an item, they suddenly were quite fluent in American English!
Picture this- your in Mexico at a store with your American friends or family. You know some Spanish but are obviously more comfortable speaking English to fellow Americans, so you naturally speak English to your friends. When it comes time to buy your items, you must speak Spanish to the proprietor. You leave and the owner grumbles about gringos speaking English in his presence, even though they seem to know some Spanish. Sound good to you??

Old 09-13-2009, 09:47 AM

6,023 posts, read 13,248,517 times
Before anyone in Montana wants to bash the speaking of Spanish in Montana they might want to remember that the name of the state is a Spanish word and our state motto is written in Spanish.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:59 AM

6,258 posts, read 14,045,633 times
good point

Old 09-13-2009, 03:56 PM

I heard once that montana was explored and settled by some Spanish-The same people who still live in Southern Colorado and New Mexico. Just dont call them Mexican!!

Old 09-13-2009, 04:04 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,680,681 times
I am surprised to find there are illegal Spanish immigrants in Montana. I live in Nova/DC and we have millions. I think most are illegal and some are not. I am not sure, but it is a major issue here. That is very interesting. Most of the immigrants are from El Salvador here.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:59 PM

6,023 posts, read 13,248,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
I am surprised to find there are illegal Spanish immigrants in Montana. I live in Nova/DC and we have millions. I think most are illegal and some are not. I am not sure, but it is a major issue here. That is very interesting. Most of the immigrants are from El Salvador here.
There are a few supposedly illegal immigrants in Montana that speak Spanish but they are most likely NOT Spanish. They come from south of the US border and speak Spanish. Spanish folks are from Spain.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
There are a few supposedly illegal immigrants in Montana that speak Spanish but they are most likely NOT Spanish. They come from south of the US border and speak Spanish. Spanish folks are from Spain.
Or from Southern Colorado and Northern New Mexico. Although some may be mixed with native american they refer to themselves as Spanish since there ancestors from Spain arrived in the area in the the late 1500's. They sometimes call themselves Hispanic or New Mexican but never Mexican since they arrival predates Mexicos possession of the territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana