U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 07:57 AM

3 posts, read 6,336 times

Advertisements

can someone fill me in on the smog issue for HELENA?

can't be as bad as LA... is there a type of basin where the smog gets trapped? .. any local input would be great.................

and where is this smog coming from? where is the biggest city near by?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 10:52 AM

6,258 posts, read 13,754,972 times
Hello
this is a good start, lot of info!
//www.city-data.com/city/Helena-Montana.html

Old 09-20-2009, 11:16 AM

1,219 posts, read 2,982,956 times
The more people move here, the more smog there is going to be. Plain and simple. Montana's quality of living is going down with the influx of people moving in. To some it's better than where they came from, but to those of us who have been here a long time its the opposite. I guess there is good and bad in everything.

Just like the eagles song, "Call someplace paradise, kiss it goodbye."

Old 09-20-2009, 02:52 PM

989 posts, read 3,303,671 times
I've been curious about this myself. We're always told its from the fires but we have smog sometimes when there no fires anywhere in the west. I don't know what to tell you but I hope someone comes on who can because I would like to know myself.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:00 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,108,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
I've been curious about this myself. We're always told its from the fires but we have smog sometimes when there no fires anywhere in the west. I don't know what to tell you but I hope someone comes on who can because I would like to know myself.
We get that "haze" all the time here in the west valley. I was told it is pollution... from what I have no idea but you can't deny the haze is here ! Most prevalent during the morning and evening sun.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:53 AM

7,925 posts, read 13,819,338 times
Natural dust (particulates) is now considered "pollution". Natural dust plus fog off the river equals smog if you're only counting particulates. So you can see that it's not useful to call it "smog" unless you know what the composition is.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:01 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,775,853 times
During the winter months, cold air gets trapped in the valley, below 5000'. This sets up a smog/haze condition, and this can go on for several days to weeks. In fact, while Great Falls might be up around 50 with chinook winds, Helena might be hovering around 15 degrees, with no wind. For people with respiratory issues, this can be a problem. It usually takes a good front to knock out this air inversion (a winter time phenomenon where the colder air is at a lower elevation than the warmer air).

Hope that helps!

Ian

Old 09-28-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
During the winter months, cold air gets trapped in the valley, below 5000'. This sets up a smog/haze condition, and this can go on for several days to weeks.
Ian
We're talking about the summer/spring smog. Its not from the fires either... There's just a strange smog that fills the air even when California fires are not big yet...

Old 09-28-2009, 06:54 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,775,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
We're talking about the summer/spring smog. Its not from the fires either... There's just a strange smog that fills the air even when California fires are not big yet...
Actually, the op did not specify a season. They just asked if smog gets trapped in the valley, and I answered the question.

Ian

Old 09-29-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
Actually, the op did not specify a season. They just asked if smog gets trapped in the valley, and I answered the question.

Ian
Thanks for answering the question friend from Texas, but I live here and I see the smog in various seasons. Everyone knows about inversion, this is something different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana