U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 09:17 PM

2,066 posts, read 4,773,230 times

Advertisements

I am rephrasing my question, I didn't mean for it to be so offensive

Do Montanans hate people from california, or any states, and why is it they seem so negative against californians.

Last edited by Radical_Car; 09-22-2009 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: rephrasing question
Rate this post positively

Old 09-22-2009, 09:31 PM

148 posts, read 534,965 times
Stop believing message boards. People in MT are some of the nicest I've met. Plain and Simple...

Old 09-22-2009, 09:32 PM

6,653 posts, read 7,789,201 times
I have difficulty taking your question seriously with the flippant way you pose your question and using a poor pathetic excuse of an animated tv show that attempts to pass for entertainment as your source.

Montanan's are not a hateful bitter people, but arrogant people with an attitude like you are displaying on this forum will probably get you the response you seem to crave.
As a whole, I don't believe we hate anyone. People who move here are usually taken on a case by case basis. Yes, Californians are the majority of the people who move here, and yes, many of them have acted in a way that makes the natives want to send them home ASAP.

Stay in Minnesota if you want to keep your superior attitude.
If you act like an "ahole" you will be treated as an "ahole" and we certainly don't need anymore than we already have.

I find the tone of the question demeaning, and not worthy of discussion.
If you wish to ask a civil question I would be happy to answer, until then, Good day.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:41 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,309 posts, read 3,860,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I have difficulty taking your question seriously with the flippant way you pose your question and using a poor pathetic excuse of an animated tv show that attempts to pass for entertainment as your source.

Montanan's are not a hateful bitter people, but arrogant people with an attitude like you are displaying on this forum will probably get you the response you seem to crave.
As a whole, I don't believe we hate anyone. People who move here are usually taken on a case by case basis. Yes, Californians are the majority of the people who move here, and yes, many of them have acted in a way that makes the natives want to send them home ASAP.

If you act like an "ahole" you will be treated as an "ahole" and we certainly don't need anymore than we already have.

If you wish to ask a civil question I would be happy to answer, until then, Good day.
A perfectly phrased response.........I agree 100%.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:43 PM

10 posts, read 26,794 times
I would like to find a place where Californian's are not considered invaders. To be honest the cost of living is so high is California. There are so many job losses and 1/34 people are loosing their homes. I think almost everyone I know wished they could find someplace to go. I am 43 and most everyone I know is in trouble. Some lost their jobs, lost income and some lost their homes. Schools are broke, as is the government. There seems to be a lot of anxious people clicking their heals hoping to land some place where milk is not $4.oo-7.15 a gallon and gas is less than $3.15 a gallon. No place is perfect and there are struggles everywhere however some states seem harder hit than others. I am sorry that we are not all united a but more than this. I have been watching the boards for over a year and just keep reading hoping an answer will come to me. I wish everyone Peace and Harmony.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:47 PM

6,258 posts, read 14,043,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
do montanans just hate people from california or do they hate any out of staters? If i were to move here from minnesota, would people be nice, or would they all be aholes and act like im ruining the entire state.

im not trying to be rude, and i personally know several montanans who are friendly, but it seems like they are being stereotyped as rude, arrogant people who hate outsiders because the way montana is changing, and it isn't just this forum. I remember an episode of king of the hill where peggys mom invites peggy to visit her farm and montana so she can find out there losing it because a movie star was buying land and wouldn't let their cattle use it. And everyone on their farm was really rude and arrogant. And there are several people like that here on this board.
I would say that you might want to take a trip out here to see if it fits you. Remember that you are reading the opinion's of say four or five folks....Using a naughty word in your opening post isn't very friendly.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:

iI have rephrased the question, I am not an ignorant idiot who thinks I have a superior attitude, and didn't mean for it to sound so offensive
Also, it is pretty apparant you didn't read it or most of it
I said "and i personally know several montanans who are friendly, and I have family from montana"
and i also implied that it seems like montanans are being stereotyped as people who hate newcomers
have you been out of state and seen what people think of montanans?
and you seemed to be more arrogant and ignorant then i originally was intending to be

Quote:
poor pathetic excuse of an animated tv show that attempts to pass for entertainment as your source.
well if you think its pathetic then thats fine, its your opinion
but please don't act like im an idiot because my opinion isn't identical to yours

Last edited by Radical_Car; 09-22-2009 at 10:27 PM..

Old 09-22-2009, 10:18 PM

680 posts, read 1,078,107 times
There are some parochial people here, but my experience is that they show up mainly on newsgroups, most definitely including this one. My experience is that most people, at least in the larger towns-Billings, Bozeman, Missoula, Great Falls- are more accepting. I'll get flamed for these comments, but they're based on having lived here for over fifty years, and my work takes me to many towns around the state. Certainly there are plenty of open minded folks in the smaller towns, but the attitude against out of staters is most commonly found there. It seems that the more that a person is exposed to a larger mix of people from different places, the more that person becomes able to accomodate, in his or her own mind, the differences that the newcomer brings. The attitude against out of staters is pretty well spread across the entire political spectrum; there are "liberals" who are just as outspoken on this issue as "conservatives", so that isn't a particularly accurate predictor of who may be biased against outof staters. For my part, I welcome to Montana transplants from elsewhere, including California! We need some new perspectives.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:18 PM

18,696 posts, read 40,077,465 times
If you read back through some threads, you'll find out that Californian is an attitude that's not wanted and can actually come from any state. It's just that California displayed the biggest problem a few years back. They wanted the small town atmosphere, but they brought the covenances, the new laws, built big McMansions and then complained about the smell of those terrible cattle.

It's the attitude that isn't welcome. Not necessarily the people.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 09-22-2009 at 10:36 PM..

Old 09-22-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
If you read back through some threads, you'll find out that Californian is an attitude that's not wanted and can actually come from any state. It's just that California displayed the biggest problem a few years back. They wanted the small town atmosphere, but they brought the covenances, the new laws, built big McMansions and then complained about the smell of those terrible cattle.

It's the attitude that isn't welcome. Not necessarily the people.
you seemed to answer my question the best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana