U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-09-2009, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Long Beach, CA
108 posts, read 251,362 times
Reputation: 82

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
I don't trust any politician and def dont trust either of our political parties.
But from what I'm reading here, you want to give them control over the health care system???
Rate this post positively

 
Old 11-09-2009, 09:51 AM
 
Location: In The Outland
6,023 posts, read 13,030,073 times
Reputation: 3535
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
That is a complete false statement. People from canada come here for elective procedures not a by-pass.
I live near the Canadian border and almost every time I go to the doc for something, there are Canadians in the waiting room and I have talked to more than a few.
Some said they come to our clinic because they can get an appointment in a timely manner as well as better care. These are Canadians who choose to go to a clinic in the US just for regular doctor visits. Several I talked to come to our clinic in Conrad all the way from Lethbridge for every doctor visit of any kind.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-09-2009, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Long Beach, CA
108 posts, read 251,362 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
If they cured cancer or stopped letting us eat cancer causing food then they wouldn't be able to charge you for treatment drugs for 20 years.
I don't understand this. If I eat cancer causing food, it's because they are "letting" me do this? I thought I had freedom of choice? Are you saying that they should come to my house and keep me from eating certain foods? Or should it be the politicians? The same ones you claim to distrust?

Last edited by yyz1; 11-09-2009 at 10:04 AM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-09-2009, 11:56 AM
 
2,087 posts, read 1,607,108 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz1 View Post
I don't understand this. If I eat cancer causing food, it's because they are "letting" me do this? I thought I had freedom of choice? Are you saying that they should come to my house and keep me from eating certain foods? Or should it be the politicians? The same ones you claim to distrust?


I am saying that people have this naive assumption that if its in food it must be safe. Yes ingredients shown to cause cancer should be removed (high fructose corn syrup for ex) What exactly is your problem with this.



Plus you missed the point of healthcare not actually being about health but being about the mighty mighty dollar
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-09-2009, 12:00 PM
 
2,087 posts, read 1,607,108 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz1 View Post
But from what I'm reading here, you want to give them control over the health care system???



And I suppose you trust the like cigna and others who have increased premiums while decreasing coverage consistently? Does the idea of having your chemo stopped because you reached a maximum sit well with you. That is a death panel.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-09-2009, 12:06 PM
 
2,087 posts, read 1,607,108 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I live near the Canadian border and almost every time I go to the doc for something, there are Canadians in the waiting room and I have talked to more than a few.
Some said they come to our clinic because they can get an appointment in a timely manner as well as better care. These are Canadians who choose to go to a clinic in the US just for regular doctor visits. Several I talked to come to our clinic in Conrad all the way from Lethbridge for every doctor visit of any kind.

All reviewed studies on canadian health care show that people do not wait for important care, this is propaganda put out there by conservatives. Secondly look deeper some rural canadian areas have agreements with american doctors that are closer for them to access. The canadian health system still pays for it..




It utterly incomprehensible why people want to continue a system that has declined our health, increased our cost, and stabbed us in the back. While rejecting a plan that would cover everyone for everything at half the total cost.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-09-2009, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Brendansport, Sagitta IV
7,949 posts, read 13,969,369 times
Reputation: 3461
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
I am saying that people have this naive assumption that if its in food it must be safe. Yes ingredients shown to cause cancer should be removed (high fructose corn syrup for ex) What exactly is your problem with this.
Do you eat honey? Do you think honey is safe, or maybe even has great medicinal value??

I have news for you... Honey is chemically identical to high fructose corn syrup. It's just fructose (fruit sugar) plus glucose (and every cell in your body uses glucose for fuel). In fact it is not possible to tell when honey is adulterated with the much-cheaper HFCS, except by which protein contaminants are present (pollen for honey, corn protein for HFCS).

Naive assumptions about foodstuffs should be tempered with a little knowledge of biochemistry, otherwise it's just snake oil.

[I was a microbiology/biochemistry major at MSU ]
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-09-2009, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Brendansport, Sagitta IV
7,949 posts, read 13,969,369 times
Reputation: 3461
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz1 View Post
But from what I'm reading here, you want to give them control over the health care system???
Ironic, isn't it?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-09-2009, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Brendansport, Sagitta IV
7,949 posts, read 13,969,369 times
Reputation: 3461
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
It utterly incomprehensible why people want to continue a system that has declined our health, increased our cost, and stabbed us in the back. While rejecting a plan that would cover everyone for everything at half the total cost.
What, like the system has already demonstrated it can do? Here's an interesting article with a handy chart plotting Consumer Price Index vs health care -- note the divergence following the Medicare/Medicaid Act and the HMO Act.

American Thinker: Understanding the Cause of Health Care Inflation -- a few excerpts:
If one doubts the effect that government policies have on health care inflation, they need only to consider that health care costs are rising as a percentage of gross domestic product (GDP) all over the world - not just the United States. Hagist and Kotlikoff studied the growth in health care spending for 10 developed countries over the time period 1970 - 2002. The authors found that:

"Government health care expenditures have grown much more rapidly than the economy in all developed countries. Between 1970 and 2002 these expenditures per capita grew at almost twice the rate of gross domestic product (GDP) per capita in 10 countries studied: Australia, Austria, Canada, Germany, Japan, Norway, Spain, Sweden, the United Kingdom and the United States."
Other countries that provide "comprehensive" health insurance to their citizens only spend less relative to the US because they ration health care services through a variety of mechanisms and are tort adverse however; they are still facing skyrocketing health care inflation. So this leads to an interesting question, do we continue to repeat the same mistakes we and other countries have been making, which will lead to insolvency and necessitate rationing (and the implicit loss of freedom that follows) in order to control costs or is there another way?
The article also points out a study that concluded:
According to the authors, accelerating medical inflation is strongly correlated with a growing separation (wedge) in the medical market between doctors and patients created by third parties. Reform policies that increase this separation, such as those reforms based on President Obama's priorities, can be expected to increase medical price inflation.
If you can't be arsed to read the article, at least view the charts:
http://www.americanthinker.com/Figur...0Inflation.jpg
http://www.americanthinker.com/Figur...0Inflation.jpg
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-09-2009, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Long Beach, CA
108 posts, read 251,362 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
And I suppose you trust the like cigna and others who have increased premiums while decreasing coverage consistently? Does the idea of having your chemo stopped because you reached a maximum sit well with you. That is a death panel.

Well, I was expecting a "Yes I do because..." or a "No I don't because..." Instead, what do I get? The same kind of pugnacious response that you've been posting here all along to anyone who challenges your utopian visions. I'll take your refusal to answer my question as an implicit "Yes, I do." You don't trust the very people you want to entrust with your healthcare. Fine.

I don't have Cigna so I can't comment on any of their practices.

What makes you think that the gov't wouldn't stop my treatment? Got news for you, it's about money for them too. When budgets get severely overrun, decisions have to be made. Who is going to make those decisions? This is the problem with utopians. They don't seem to realize that resources are scarce and you simply cannot give everyone everthing. At least now, I have the option of paying for something out of pocket. With a gov't run system, if they say I can't have it, then I can't have it whether I have the means to pay for it or not. Heaven forbid I offend someone's sense of social justice.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:04 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top