U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2012, 06:29 PM

9,866 posts, read 10,051,549 times

Advertisements

The Billings area is the strongest economy in the state. It is much more versatile in the job market, and is growing economically. It was not hit hard by economy collapse that has hit the nation, and as they did not go crazy in the real estate market when lots of the country did, homes are worth more today than they were 5 years ago, not lost half their value or more as many areas of the country did.

Billings has to major hospital providers, and both are constantly expanding and are the major health provider for not only Montana but 3 other states and southern Canada. They have staffs in all medical specialties, with excellent doctors. They cover so far away, they own two twin engine planes and their own helicopter to move people needing care. Billings Clinic Hospital system, also has medical clinics in numerous towns. If you are looking for hospital health care jobs, it is the hottest part of the state for that.

They are constantly building shopping centers, etc., to keep up with the need for more business areas. Some part of the nation they are shutting down shopping centers, but in Billings they are opening them.

Billings has a lower cost of living than many areas in the Mountain areas of Montana. Also when one runs a average income, to cost of living comparison Billings gives you more disposable income.

The real crazy boom area is in North East Montana where along with North Dakota and a part of southern Canada, they have found one of the biggest oil fields in the country, and it is developing fast. That is what the above poster was referring to. With the oil shortages, and the need for oil, this is not going to be a boom then bust situation for a long, long time. That is one reason that so many are pushing for the Canada to Texas pipe line. It will not only be moving oil from Canada but also from North Dakota and Montana. Moving it down to where there are refineries that need lots of oil.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 11:19 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,309 posts, read 3,739,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabathaLee View Post
I have just discovered this thread, I live in missoula and my whole life here but have traveled montana regularly. I wouldn't live in butte personally due to the town life. I like missoula however it is quite pricey. You can get great places in frenchtown, huson, east missoula, turah, bonner etc. depending on how far you want to drive. I grew up just west of town and loved it.
If yu haven't already moved here and/or have other questions feel free to message me.
..................Sorry "Tab"........................the original post from the OP is dated NOVEMBER 2009............and never been back..............

Old 03-29-2012, 09:31 PM

3 posts, read 3,331 times
Missoula and Billings both have great hospitals. Billings is a lot cheaper, life in both towns is nice, but Missoula is a little happier. Though it is happier here, the traffic is TERRIBLE. The streets and traffic in Billings isn't that great either, but on the newer, expanding west end of town the traffic is pretty well designed. The University in Missoula gives its own flavor to the town. Grizzly spirit is everywhere. I love both towns, and I wouldn't be able to decide which one I loved more. However, if I HAD to recommend one, it would be Billings.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:25 PM

4,865 posts, read 3,453,717 times
Helena is the way to go. I cannot in good concious recommend Butte to anyone (Lived there for 5 years while attending Tech). I tried Missoula and it wasn't for me. Bozeman could be nice I suppose. Kalispell is too secluded for me. I just say no thank you to Great Falls and Billings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana