Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,809 times

Advertisements

Hello. I want to move to Montana from the east coast in 2 years. I am looking for a friendly, affordable area to move to where my extended family (grandchildren) can grow up and have a great life. I don't like the city, (too crowded), work in healthcare so would like to be not more than 45 min from hospital or such. Would like to purchase land and build if possible, make average income. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 06:19 PM

159 posts, read 442,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llbobh View Post
Hello. I want to move to Montana from the east coast in 2 years. I am looking for a friendly, affordable area to move to where my extended family (grandchildren) can grow up and have a great life. I don't like the city, (too crowded), work in healthcare so would like to be not more than 45 min from hospital or such. Would like to purchase land and build if possible, make average income. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thank You!
I have heard Missoula Is very nice. Its where the University of MT is. They also have a Good Hospital I've heard. Here is a link to info About Missoula. [Mod Cut] Missoula Convention and Visitors Bureau. Im sure other people on here can tell you more about it.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 11-29-2009 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: New users need a minimum of 10 posts before recommending other sites.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:17 PM

11 posts, read 22,341 times
I am hoping to move to Montana myself, but in the next six months rather than years. I have done research for a year and found Butte to be a wonderful area with average housing costs and it is not too far from Missula. You could even live in a small town out of Missoula and compute so you dont have to deal with all the large town madness. Try using google maps to get a better look at towns

Old 03-15-2012, 09:55 PM

3 posts, read 5,470 times
I have just discovered this thread, I live in missoula and my whole life here but have traveled montana regularly. I wouldn't live in butte personally due to the town life. I like missoula however it is quite pricey. You can get great places in frenchtown, huson, east missoula, turah, bonner etc. depending on how far you want to drive. I grew up just west of town and loved it.
If yu haven't already moved here and/or have other questions feel free to message me.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:16 AM

203 posts, read 496,669 times
Default 10 posts like a 2 drink minimum?

OK, get ready to fill your Favorites:

Missoula Relocation Guide - Welcome to Missoula

Missoula MT Residents', Resource and Relocation Guide | Make it Missoula

Information and Events in Downtown Missoula, Montana | MDA/BID

Missoulian: News and Resources for Western Montana

I have so far found these sites the most useful. I have not moved there yet, but they give me a good idea of what to look for.

Enjoy!

Old 03-16-2012, 01:19 AM

Oh and before the "Doom & Gloom" shows up, there are positive things I am finding:

Economy still shaky, but Missoula and UM leaders optimistic

Old 03-16-2012, 01:20 AM

Oh and good luck! Lets us know how you are making out please!!!

Old 03-17-2012, 04:54 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llbobh View Post
The major cities of Montana are Billings, Missoula, Bozeman, Kalispell, Butte, Great Falls, and Helena. Missoula, Kalispell, and Bozeman have the best scenery but I know Missoula and Bozeman are also some of the most expensive to live in and I don't think Kalispell is too cheap either. Butte is in a pretty area. The town is described by many people as rough, and it is run-down in some areas but since I've never lived there I really can't say too much. Billings is the largest city and while not in the most scenic location, it is still nice and has the mildest weather out of all of these places. I have very limited experience with Great Falls and Helena seems like a pretty decent town although I don't know anything about the cost of living. Last time I was there though (2005) it seemed that most people were building in the unincorporated Montana City area just across the county line in Jefferson County and I think it was due to lower property taxes (a Helenan here will hopefully chime in). Keep in mind that some of the rural areas in eastern Montana my be looking for healthcare professionals as well. That area isn't usually found on the postcards but the people there are the friendliest most down to earth people in the state IMHO.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:02 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Outside Helena is definitely cheaper taxes wise, but sometimes being closer to work is better! I like Helena- surrounded by mountains and fairly decent shopping.

The eastern part of the state is looking for hired help, including healthcare but it may be temporary- it's a boom cycle right now.. Be careful what you do out there..

Old 03-19-2012, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,838 times
I'd recommend Bozeman. I moved here 5 years ago from Louisiana..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana