Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:07 PM

198 posts, read 499,312 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

I am thinking about relocating to Great Falls with the next year of two. I've visited Great Falls a couple time and I really enjoyed both visits and it seemed like a good place to live. I also have several friends up in the area so it's not like I am going in alone. I am 19 years old (will be 21 or 20 during the time of the move) and will probably transfer to MSU Great Falls of UGF when I move.

Things is, I've grown tired of my current situation in the Dallas, TX area. The area where I currently live in is very uppity and materialistic. People just aren't very nice, driving around in their fancy cars looking down upon people who aren't as rich or conform to their standards. The summers are way to intense (HUMIDITY!!!) and there isn't much of a winter (being a native Midwesterner, it's laughable when it's 50 degrees outside and everyone is dressed in multiple layers screaming "IT'S COLD!") and it snows maybe three times.

So there is a little about me, and here are a few questions I have. Any help will be accepted, but I'm set on Great Falls and am not looking at any other city.

-What kinds of apartments are there? I need recommendations of places to live, as I need to weed out potential roomates.

-What areas are the "bad" parts of town and should be avoided?

-What is the job market like? Is finding a job easy if you have a good resume with excellent recommendations from past bosses?

-What are MSU Great Falls and UGF like? What's the difference and what programs do they specialize in?

-When I went to Great Falls, I flew Northwest Airlines. Now that Northwest is no longer, are there any other major air carriers flying to Great Falls International?

-Anything I should expect? Miscellaneous comments welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 12:02 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,156,006 times
I grew up in Great Falls but that was the '60s and '70s so I'm a trifle out of date My mom lived there til ... 1998? I forget when she moved, but she goes back to visit every year ... but anyway it hasn't changed much far as what she's said.

When I was a kid there were some old parts of town that were kinda tumbledown, but I never felt unsafe there (and I roamed around at all hours, rode the base bus, etc.). As to rentals, check the GF Tribune -- you can likely find anything from a cheap downtown apartment to a whole and pricey house.

Sorry I don't have current answers to your other questions, but I'm sure someone else will be along in a bit.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:21 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
WestPlanoDude, maybe something in one of these threads may be of some help to you:

moving to great falls

Questions about Montana esp: Great Falls

Great Falls Questions

Questions about Great Falls

Old 02-03-2010, 06:39 PM

17 posts, read 51,402 times
Well hello there and welcome!

I can tell you one thing about Montana we aren't joking around here with our winters. If you have been to GF though it may not bother you. Just keep in mind that because GF is farther north you have rather hostile weather, the roads will be bad in the winter time. I am not saying that when October hits we go into some kind of 9 month deep freeze (although it seems like it sometimes) but it is winter and certain conditions have to be taken into consideration.

My husband lived in GF for a time and he personally did not like the area. I do have an idea though that housing can be spendy up there but you will probably be able to find some reasonable rentals due to the AF base.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:35 PM

10 posts, read 66,632 times
A bunch of meth heads in Not-So-Great Falls. Lots of sex offenders too. The town sucks.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
I grew up in Great Falls but that was the '60s and '70s so I'm a trifle out of date My mom lived there til ... 1998? I forget when she moved, but she goes back to visit every year ... but anyway it hasn't changed much far as what she's said.

When I was a kid there were some old parts of town that were kinda tumbledown, but I never felt unsafe there (and I roamed around at all hours, rode the base bus, etc.). As to rentals, check the GF Tribune -- you can likely find anything from a cheap downtown apartment to a whole and pricey house.

Sorry I don't have current answers to your other questions, but I'm sure someone else will be along in a bit.
Thanks for your advice. Do you remember exactly where these older areas are?

Old 02-03-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsole View Post
Well hello there and welcome!

I can tell you one thing about Montana we aren't joking around here with our winters. If you have been to GF though it may not bother you. Just keep in mind that because GF is farther north you have rather hostile weather, the roads will be bad in the winter time. I am not saying that when October hits we go into some kind of 9 month deep freeze (although it seems like it sometimes) but it is winter and certain conditions have to be taken into consideration.

My husband lived in GF for a time and he personally did not like the area. I do have an idea though that housing can be spendy up there but you will probably be able to find some reasonable rentals due to the AF base.
Yeah. I lived around Chicago before moving to Texas after middle school. I've probably been desensitized from the cold winters from up there but I know what it's like. I've been to Great Falls in October and November respectively, and the weather never really bothered me.

I've been looking online and have founded an apartment complex that I could afford and looks pretty nice from the pictures (user posted, not the propaganda the managers put out there.)

Old 02-03-2010, 10:39 PM

Well good deal then!

If you lived around Chicago you probably won't find it so bad up here then hah! I actually don't mind the weather in October or November...The worst time of year for me is January and March. For some unknown reason we used to Calve out here in Feb. - early May. That is considering our ranch used to butt right up against the mountains. I have had to work out in it quite a bit. Talk about miserable cold! I still do work in it from time to time because I work along side our contractors.

The job market is shaky in Montana just as anywhere else I would image so make sure if possible you can secure a job before moving! Glad to here you have found an apartment complex with reasonable monthly rates.

Good luck

Old 02-03-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanatooregon View Post
A bunch of meth heads in Not-So-Great Falls. Lots of sex offenders too. The town sucks.
That seems to be a real problem lately.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:52 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPlanoDude View Post
-What kinds of apartments are there?
You can have mine March 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana