Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 05:39 PM

121 posts, read 391,616 times

Advertisements

I've seen a number of posts asking about meth use in Montana. Use is widespread, not just in the more populated areas, it is everywhere. It is such a problem here in Montana that HBO did a documentary about it. Here's a brief excerpt from an article on National Public Radio's website about that documentary:

Be prepared to cringe, cover your eyes and grip your seat if you watch HBO's documentary on methamphetamine abuse in Montana, which has one of the highest meth use rates in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 06:04 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,611 times
I had heard that Utah and Colorado have a similar situation but I don't know who is the leader...

Old 05-23-2007, 10:52 PM

14 posts, read 78,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenzebel View Post
I've seen a number of posts asking about meth use in Montana. Use is widespread, not just in the more populated areas, it is everywhere. It is such a problem here in Montana that HBO did a documentary about it. Here's a brief excerpt from an article on National Public Radio's website about that documentary:

Be prepared to cringe, cover your eyes and grip your seat if you watch HBO's documentary on methamphetamine abuse in Montana, which has one of the highest meth use rates in the country.
I get tired of arguing the point but the facts don’t support your post. Im not going to present evidence because its clear it would not matter what was presented you would not believe any different by viewing it. I'm sad our country has became so ignorant on issue's in general take global warming and gore pushing this complete crap about humans making a significant contribution what a joke, heh.

Anyway, Im not worried about meth in Montana and its not as wide spread as its depicted.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:22 PM

P.S. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2332531355859226455&q=global+warmi ng+swindle (broken link)

Old 05-24-2007, 01:04 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,611 times
http://drugabusestatistics.samhsa.gov/2k5/meth/meth.htm

"The 50 States and the District of Columbia were divided into thirds based on the percentage of the population aged 12 or older who had used methamphetamine in the past year (Figure 4). Twelve states in the West,7 including Nevada (2.2 percent), Wyoming, and Montana (1.5 percent each),8 ranked among the top third of states for past year methamphetamine use. Connecticut (less than 0.1 percent), New York, and North Carolina (0.12 percent each) were among the states with the lowest rates; all nine states in the Northeast were in the lowest third."

Old 05-24-2007, 06:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Meth is an individual problem and if we just let it go it would regulate itself out of existance as the users died. The stuff is deadly. Trying to supress it with draconian laws is worse because it just drives up the price and makes the dealers wealthier and encourages more of them to get into the business.

The neat thing about climate change and the globe getting warmer is an individual does not have to belive in it or not for it to happen. It is happening and Montana may be one of the better places to live in the coming decades. At least it will be warmer and not underwater like most of Florida.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:13 AM

495 posts, read 492,601 times
Lesson One: - All problems are exaggerated by the government.
Lesson Two: - The government, contrary to popular beleif, loves to spend momey.
Lesson Three: any goverment agency would put itself out of bussiness it it solved the problem of its focus.
Lesson Four: - the bigger the problem can be proclaimed the more money the agency gets.

OK now put two and two together..........

Montanans have been using meth ever since I can remember, it's the poor man's drug, that's why it's so popular in montana. Also I've never seen any one that looks like those pictures in the ads. Soon as that guy did that initial meth campaing I could see it coming - all the new government money coming his way, its a great business model, wish I thought of it.
How about the guy in Kalispell they railroaded, He didn't do meth, he didn't even sell it, but the put him in jail and let the real users and meth dealers plee bargin and get away scott free...dah, they were made out to be the victims, they hung all the blame on the rich white guy, and you can bet your bottom dollar most of those users and dealers involved in that case are back up to their old ways.....So what does all this tell you.....it tells me that Montana politicians, agencies and law enforcement can talk all they want but they'd rather put a rich white guy in jail than do anything about a meth problem......with all that government money going those agencies, actually stopping or deminishing the problem would be like shooting the goose that laid the golden egg.............want proof....how long have they been doing this, (trying to stop the drug problem) and it just keeps getting worse, considering the outcome, one would have to say that they've really been sucessfull in promoting it.....which they are in a round about way............
Personally, I say let the druggies do all the drugs they want - "it's their body" - but don't ask me for a penny in help, and let'em all die in the gutter if that's what they want to do with their life, if that's what makes them happy - far be it from me to interfere witht their choices in life, beleive me NO ONE does anything they don't want to do, they want to do drugs and don't ever beleive any differenet and you couldn't torchure them into stopping, leave them alone it's their life to live any way they see fit or unfit - it's freedom, their freedom.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Meth is an individual problem and if we just let it go it would regulate itself out of existance as the users died. The stuff is deadly. Trying to supress it with draconian laws is worse because it just drives up the price and makes the dealers wealthier and encourages more of them to get into the business.

The neat thing about climate change and the globe getting warmer is an individual does not have to belive in it or not for it to happen. It is happening and Montana may be one of the better places to live in the coming decades. At least it will be warmer and not underwater like most of Florida.
Not relly true meth wont kill most users, I have a good friend his dad used meth for 40 years then deid in a acdent (no meth was not a factor in his death) so to say the drug will kill off the users is just false statment.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:40 PM

373 posts, read 1,852,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quistoman View Post
I get tired of arguing the point but the facts don’t support your post. Im not going to present evidence because its clear it would not matter what was presented you would not believe any different by viewing it. I'm sad our country has became so ignorant on issue's in general take global warming and gore pushing this complete crap about humans making a significant contribution what a joke, heh.

Anyway, Im not worried about meth in Montana and its not as wide spread as its depicted.
I've had several friends and acquaintances die of meth-related o.d.'s and suicides. These were childhood friends. I left my small town where I grew up because of the meth problem and the fact that all my friends were on it.

You argue that the facts don't support the original post. If the facts don't support her post, would you be willing to post some law enforcement or academic studies that contradict her post? Do you argue that the Montana Attorney General and the Montana Meth project are making stuff up? I'd be happy to provide you some links to stats from those folks.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelei2873 View Post
I've had several friends and acquaintances die of meth-related o.d.'s and suicides. These were childhood friends. I left my small town where I grew up because of the meth problem and the fact that all my friends were on it.

You argue that the facts don't support the original post. If the facts don't support her post, would you be willing to post some law enforcement or academic studies that contradict her post? Do you argue that the Montana Attorney General and the Montana Meth project are making stuff up? I'd be happy to provide you some links to stats from those folks.
Oh yeah because law enforcement has no vested interest in the drug war /rolls eyes. Look you give me an opinion and I can find a statistic to support it, you think everything they present is not influences by greed and politics? lol like I said ignorance. You say you have had "several friends die from OD’ing so lets see the proof, death certificate’s or some other form of conformation. I can guarantee I know more meth addicts than you just because of what I did for a living and guess what, there all still alive or if they died its not drug related so some proof would be nice its not that you cant OD on meth but you dont see it every day do you ?
and if this is such a big issue why aren’t they dropping like fly’s IF its so easy to OD on? See unlike some people I dont have an agenda and I didn’t come here to twist data, how can you compare the population of new york to montana? The variables are so many that really I find it a ineffective way to try and convince me of an argument.

Im not saying its not an issue but its an issue thats been blown out of proportion.

Last edited by Quistoman; 05-24-2007 at 02:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana