U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2010, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 5,852 times

Advertisements

HI,

I am a 35 year old single woman thinking about taking a job in Billings Montana. I have a few questions:

1. Where is a good area in Billings, MT to rent where I can find other singles, is close to restaurants, pubs etc and is safe?

2. Is the entire city highly conservative and religious? I am a liberal New Englander and worry about connecting to the community.

3. I know this is Montana's biggest city but can you find places with that small town community feel?

Thanks for your help
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 06:36 PM

676 posts, read 1,065,599 times
birdie,

I've lived in Billings for 35 years. Here are some observations in response to your questions:

1. Without meaning to slight other parts of town, I thhink the west end is where you will want to be. That is...west of, roughly, 20th St West. I live downtown in the historic district, and there are younger people here, married and unmarried, but it is more likely to have married, middle aged and older folks (like me) than on the west side. The "Heights" might suit you, but it is really sort of a bedroom community/ suburbia -type area. (I'll probably catch some flames for this). The bulk of the shopping, services, night life and singles-appealing housing and activity seems to be on the west end.

2. No. I am a liberal, democrat/ex-Republican, and there are plenty of us around here. I tell people, correctly, that there are more Democrats in Billings than in any other city or place in the state. Of course, there are more Republicans, also. While we have our share of right wingers, we also have some "moderate" republicans. Our moderate/liberal Lieutenant Governor, John Bollinger, is from Billings. In case you didn't know, he ran on the same ticket with our Democrat Governor Brian Schweitzer. Although we have a nutcase R or two in the legislature (e.g., Tom McGillvray), the bulk of those types come from elsewhere in the state, mostly rural. (There are some real lulu's, I might add.) The R/D mixture from Yellowstone County in the Legislature is split. Don't forget: both US Senators are D (although you can stir a mighty debate on the subject of Max Baucus); the governor, and 4 of the 5 top state executives are D.

3. Not sure what your question is. Billings is a small town if you're from Los Angeles, Chihcago, etc. However, there are some decent small towns around Billings: Red Lodge, Forsyth, Park City, Hardin, Columbus, Absarokee, Ballantine, Huntly, Custer... . It just depends how small or far you want to get, also. A little further out is Big Timber, Miles City, Lewistown, Harlowton, etc. Keep in mind, however, many of those towns are very, very, R (right, red, republican).

Old 02-14-2010, 07:08 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,016,311 times
I guess it depends on what you mean by liberal... I have friends who consider themselves liberal, (Yes I choose to love em anyway, despite the errors of their ways.. ) They just aren't the all for big government, make sure everyone lives the way I think they should, ban hunting, don't log the beetle killed wood, tax the hell out of every working person, ban snowmobliles, price out the working people so we can take over their home, elitist kind of liberals.. Just good people that accept others and can agree to disagree. I have no idea what I would be.. I think that both parties are screwed up!

I think you'd do just fine in Billings. There are people of all flavors there, and if you are used to the big city you can adapt to Billings. I prefer a smaller area, but I like rural areas and less of the hustle and bussle. Unfortunately the hustle bussle has sprung up around me, and I'm hoping to move out where there is less distractions, but to each their own. I'd come and stay for a bit and see what you think.

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2010, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 5,852 times
Thank you both for your help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>