Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 06:45 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,304,896 times

Advertisements

There are dead spots, especially on the hi line, and even from Helena to Great Falls. I have Verizon, and pretty much, it is okay, but that is part of living in Montana. Don't expect any coverage in Glacier Park at all, until you drive out of the park, that is on both sides.

When you go to rent or buy a house, definitely check for cell service. I had a friend buy a house in York, he never thought to check for cell coverage....yep, he lives in a dead zone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 07:11 AM

8,086 posts, read 15,120,044 times
Yeah, I'm thinkin' an external battery pack for those phone boosters might be a good thing -- even if you had to carry five pounds in a backpack, it'd be progress in some areas where you might not have your truck but still need a phone.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:10 AM

6,347 posts, read 7,734,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
I live near Three Forks. I have T-Mobile, but not for long, because it has all sorts of problems....
Coverage is not as good as AT&T's (which seems to do better in these hills than Verizon).
Should have been more specific. I currently have Verizon, with a dumb phone plan. I've been with them for over a decade and have been satisfied with them. However, due to the good experience with a work-supplied iPhone, I wanted to get one for my own personal usage. Only problem with staying with Verizon is that my monthly rate will more than double. I'm not keen on paying more than a hundred bucks a month for a telephone!

So, I've been trying out a low-cost month-to-month plan that uses the T-Mobile towers. It's only $35 a month, plus the junk fees, for unlimited data/voice/text. Love the price, but the coverage is not nearly as good as Verizon. The same retail firm also offers another low-cost month-to-month plan, but this one uses the AT&T network. It is also unlimited everything, but a bit more expensive at $40 a month, plus fees/taxes.

My Verizon contract is over in another week, but before I cancel the contract, I want to see which low-cost plan has the better coverage in Wyoming/Montana/Idaho. Since I'll be visiting next month, I'll bring along SIM chips for both low-cost plans that use the T-Mobile and AT&T networks. I'll try them both, then decide which to switch to.

After the trip, I'll report back and document my impressions/experiences.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:58 AM

7,374 posts, read 12,633,379 times
As far as I know, Verizon is the only real. option in North Idaho, and it's spotty at that. And in the lovely area of Troy/highway 56/Noxon there is no coverage of any kind except for a hotspot in Troy and a huge cell tower in Noxon. 4 bars! But only within line of sight of the tower...

Old 11-18-2013, 08:14 AM

8,086 posts, read 15,120,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
... and a huge cell tower in Noxon. 4 bars! But only within line of sight of the tower...
That's the fundamental problem with cellphones and fixed wireless. It's strictly line of sight, and when your sight is mountains in all directions...

Old 11-18-2013, 02:08 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,507,376 times
Verizon works along most parts of the Interstate corridors. If you are a Costco member, there are deals on phones and service at the Verizon kiosk.
In some remote areas the only cell coverage is through telephone cooperatives. Some have agreements with Verizon and some do not.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:44 PM

163 posts, read 582,965 times
I have Verizon and bought a network extender from Verizon. It costs about $250 but no further monthly costs. And when I am within 3000 sqft of the unit all Verizon calls are routed through the Internet. It works with any Verizon phone not just yours.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:32 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,507,376 times
Yes, we have one at our place. It takes a cell signal and blends it with the DSL to produce a 3G signal for the smart phones to use.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:35 PM

18 posts, read 28,616 times
I'm looking for an update on cellular cover in Roundup. Is there a good wireless carrier with real phone and data reception for this town?

Old 10-09-2015, 09:50 PM

113 posts, read 165,571 times
As of this week, im cell phone free and loving it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana