Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2010, 01:53 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,746 times

Advertisements

OK, so I am constantly searching for a place to relocate to after I leave Asheville, and Montana is definitely one of the places on my list. Everything about it sounds like it's right up my alley: hunting, fly fishing, mountains, plains, and of course, lots and lots of SNOW! However, there is one thing I am concerned about. If I were to move to Montana, it would be to either Bozeman or Missoula, and I am wondering what it is like to try to go see live music in those places. Live music is an enormous part of my life, and I often travel 8-12 hours to go see my favorite band (who will remain nameless for several reasons). It would be a bit of a deal-breaker for me if there was not a music "scene" in these towns. I figure Bozeman must have some, since it's a college town, but I'm not too sure about Missoula. Help please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 07:52 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,674,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
OK, so I am constantly searching for a place to relocate to after I leave Asheville, and Montana is definitely one of the places on my list. Everything about it sounds like it's right up my alley: hunting, fly fishing, mountains, plains, and of course, lots and lots of SNOW! However, there is one thing I am concerned about. If I were to move to Montana, it would be to either Bozeman or Missoula, and I am wondering what it is like to try to go see live music in those places. Live music is an enormous part of my life, and I often travel 8-12 hours to go see my favorite band (who will remain nameless for several reasons). It would be a bit of a deal-breaker for me if there was not a music "scene" in these towns. I figure Bozeman must have some, since it's a college town, but I'm not too sure about Missoula. Help please!
I would just make sure I could fly into the city of my choice for concerts, that is what I do. Then come back to my own piece of heaven.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:58 AM

1,191 posts, read 3,002,250 times
This free monthly newspaper covers entertainment, concerts, etc. in Montana, northern Idaho and Spokane. It is called Lively Times and is published in Charlo, MT.
Their schedule of events is online at:

Lively Times | Montana Arts and Entertainment Calendar, a complete statewide searchable database of music, concerts, events, theater, dance, recreation and art exhibits

Old 05-28-2010, 12:03 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,002,250 times
By the way, it would be worth subscribing to the printed Lively Times and get it by snail mail. It gives you a good picture of the communities they cover in Montana.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:16 PM

41 posts, read 143,635 times
Based on my personal experience (having lived in both Bozeman and Missoula), you will be MUCH more satisfied with the music scene in Missoula. While neither town gets an abundance of touring artists, Missoula gets more, and also has more live music venues and a larger number of local bands/artists. Additionally, Missoula is less than 200 miles from Spokane, WA, which is always good for a quick roadtrip to see bands that never seem to stop anywhere in Montana.

Also, I would consider Missoula just as much of a college town as Bozeman, even though it has a larger non-student population.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:08 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,159,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness is View Post
This free monthly newspaper covers entertainment, concerts, etc. in Montana, northern Idaho and Spokane. It is called Lively Times and is published in Charlo, MT.
Their schedule of events is online at:

Lively Times | Montana Arts and Entertainment Calendar, a complete statewide searchable database of music, concerts, events, theater, dance, recreation and art exhibits
This oddity caught my eye:
Lively Times | “Sister Creation” | Liberty Village Arts Center | Chester, MT (http://www.livelytimes.com/lt/event/evq99rtnhc/ - broken link)
Makes you wonder how many more of these tiny dying farm towns harbor some unique talent like that, not to mention a local museum full of curios.

Tho I'm not surprised to see this in Browning,
Lively Times | Barbara Gerard-Mitchell: “Dreamscape” | Museum of the Plains Indian | Browning, MT (http://www.livelytimes.com/lt/event/evq99rlyh7/ - broken link)
because the museum has been a fixture there for so long -- I can't imagine passing through Browning without taking time to stop in!

Old 07-18-2010, 12:15 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Both of those towns get concerts and some fairly big names will come in. It goes in cycles though. Now if you are looking for live music in bars or parks, I know for a fact you can get that in Bozeman. I'm pretty sure Missoula has that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana