Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 20,056 times

Advertisements

I just thought I would post a warning about Colstrip, Montana. We moved here a year ago with hopes of staying and raising our family, well we are trying to get out of here as fast as we can. This town is very rude to new people. There are actually a group of ladies that pride themselves on pushing people out of town, forcing them to move out of the neighborhood and to surrounding communities. What is really bad is that they are raising their children to behave in this manner as well. My husband works at the plant and when talking with several co-workers about our situation was told this behavior has gone on for years in this town. Thus I would recommend if you want to make some fast money working at a power plant or mine then come work for a while. If you wish to raise a family and meet new people DO NOT MOVE TO COLSTRIP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 10:33 PM

92 posts, read 386,800 times
Default That is too bad.

I'm sorry that you had such a hard time here in Colstrip, but I don't think that you are entirely correct in saying we are such a bad town. We do have a lot going for us here and some of it is the people who get involved in the community. We have raised several thousand dollars for many different people in our community that have had medical problems many different times, no matter their background or walk of life. We have a wonderful volunteer fire department and ambulance service that are always looking for volunteers. We have a very active senior center and library. Our parks & recreation department is free to use and there are always positions to get involved in to help others. Our schools are always seeking volunteers & subutitues. The only thing that Colstrip is truly missing is a shopping district. But we do have a community owned clothing store now, that was built by volunteers. I hope that the next town you move to, you try a little harder maybe the group of people you are trying to fit in with isn't the right one. It doesn't mean that the whole town sucks. I would love to know who this group of ladies that you refer to are? Just so I make sure that I never get involved with them.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:16 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,872,492 times
I'm sorry to hear this, I hope this doesn't sour you on Montana as a whole and hope you try another place that may be a better fit for you, they do exist.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:46 AM

16 posts, read 47,447 times
Montana can definitely be a tough place to move to for those who are used to a different way of life.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:51 AM

31 posts, read 50,572 times
My deep sympathies to you about this situation. My wife and I also moved to a small town in Montana called Cut Bank. I am originally from the east coast, and live on my meager veterans pension.

We ran into the exact same situation. My wife is also foreign, so the local "ladies" absolutely pulled out all the stops to make us as uncomfortable as humanly possible.

It seems Montana creates a special breed of person that is utterly filled with demonic bitterness. Their every waking moment revolves around dragging others into their own hell of poor life decisions and lunacy.

For more on this subject, please read; Nancy Levant -- Policing Opinions, Life Styles, and Neighborhoods - COPS

Old 08-06-2007, 09:56 AM

31 posts, read 50,572 times
To rehash this one, I recall a story I heard on the Derry Brownfield radio show.

Derry was recounting the behavior of Katrina victims as they were being bussed north to relocation areas.

Volunteers had organized to put together bag lunches to be passed out at rest stops as the busses stopped.

Oddly enough, the Katrina victims basically opened the bag lunches, took the good stuff, then tossed the bag and remaining contents on the ground.

As the above poster countered, something along the lines of "its a small minority doing that sorta stuff", and sure enough someone called into the show and said the same thing.

Derry had a simple, and very relevent, retort.

It shouldnt happen at all...not even once.

Same for Colstrip and Cut Bank. The fact that there are a small handfull, let alone an actual organized group, in each town that would engage in this sort of behavior should be considered a red flag for any and all passing through the area to NOT spend ANY money in those towns.

The sooner such places devolve into ghost towns, the better off we all will be.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:46 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,199,347 times
I lived in Colstrip for a year. I was a teacher there. I'm sorry to say that no one made me feel welcome. I was a single woman in a town with either families or singles who spend most of their time in the bars. It was very depressing for me. I was invited to one staff-wide social picnic, but other than that I felt like an outsider. So I went to Billings almost every weekend for something to do. Colstrip was cliqick for sure. I was happy when the school year ended and I was able to move back to the Billings are. I'm in Laurel now and love it. The community is awesome!!!!

Old 08-13-2007, 11:12 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,548,039 times
Sounds like Colstrip is filled with former, active and future drunks. Find some sober people and you might feel more welcome.

Drunks are a PIA.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:07 AM

2 posts, read 25,640 times
My family moved to Colstrip in 1989 - and yes... our first few months here were HARD - we had to adjust from being surrounded by family and friends... to not knowing anybody. Moving to a town that only offers "convenience store" shopping was in itself an out of body experience.
We were used to locking our doors, accompanying our kids to the park, and staying within our saftey zone.
However, I must disagree with you that there is an organized group to drive newcomers out. From my own personal experience I can assure you, every person from the Postmaster to the Newspaper lady made us feel welcome.

I had to have an emergency surgery and my hair dresser not only drove me to the hospital, she also took care of my 3 boys until my mother could fly in.

School started, we joined sports teams, volunteered for several fund raising events, took community education classes- we became an "active" part of this community.

Yes.. there are the regulars that hang out in the bars... but, there are many more of us who attend church, volunteer at school, the fire department, have lunch with the Senior Citizens, and read at the library.

Can you really sit there and tell me where you came from or where you went is absolutley PERFECT ?????

Old 09-03-2007, 08:39 AM

92 posts, read 386,800 times
Gee, GEORGIAINMT, I have lived in Laurel, Hardin, Billings and Colstrip along with a few other Montana towns. I am really glad that I live in Colstrip and have found that it offers something the rest of the towns don't, a community where people know your name and if you need help, they help. Laurel was and still is a very clicky community. My mother & father grew up there and have been discriminated against many times when going back. We owned a successful business there and still own a piece of empty land there. Laurel wanted us to give it to them scott free so they could do with it what they wanted, no money offered, just we would like to develop you parcel of land so would you give it to us? Hardin isn't much different with the clicks, if your last name isn't just right you can forget about being treated with respect. With Billings, you don't want to get me started, traffic sucks, they think that red lights mean Go, Go, Go. Common sence is almost nil when it comes to treating others with respect and dignity. whenpigsfly is very correct. If you get out of your comfort zone and get involved, then Colstrip is a great place to live. We only have 5 bars (3 of which are right next to each other and two are in the gas stations) and over 10 churches. Not many MT towns can say that they have more churches than bars. Our town isn't full of "former, active and future drunks" like GregW would have you believe. I'm not saying that we are perfect, but I sure like living here and wouldn't choose anyplace else in MT. Although if it gets any warmer, Alaska sounds really good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana