Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 08:06 PM

509 posts, read 782,078 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

Does anyone know of any decent used car dealerships by Monterey, CA? Say within a 1 hour drive?

I need to buy a used car this weekend for my brother, who lives in Monterey.

Thank you much for your help.

-Dustin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 11:59 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
I have always had better luck with buying directly from private parties through the paper. You may want to consider Craigslist and the Monterey Herald in your search as well.

There are a bunch of dealerships on Del Monte in Seaside. They are probably hurting for business with the economy. So you might be able to work out a deal.

Keep in mind when you say within a hour of Monterey that San Jose is just s little over an hour from Monterey. Then you have Santa Cruz, Gilroy and Morgan Hill as well. I would be checkin CL for some wheels first, unless you are thinking newer used from the dealer. And if you find the right car an extra 30 minute drive may be worth it.

Do you know the type of car and approximate age you are looking for? How about price range? Those questions should help narrow down where to look.

Derek

Old 12-31-2010, 08:07 AM

509 posts, read 782,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I have always had better luck with buying directly from private parties through the paper. You may want to consider Craigslist and the Monterey Herald in your search as well.

There are a bunch of dealerships on Del Monte in Seaside. They are probably hurting for business with the economy. So you might be able to work out a deal.

Keep in mind when you say within a hour of Monterey that San Jose is just s little over an hour from Monterey. Then you have Santa Cruz, Gilroy and Morgan Hill as well. I would be checkin CL for some wheels first, unless you are thinking newer used from the dealer. And if you find the right car an extra 30 minute drive may be worth it.

Do you know the type of car and approximate age you are looking for? How about price range? Those questions should help narrow down where to look.

Derek

Thank you for your reply.

Something like a Honda Accord or Civic, we are shooting for under $4k. I know, at that price it will have a lot of miles on it. But that's ok. He's in school there for another 9 months, so after that he can get something nicer. He just needs something to last the next 9 mos - 1 yr.

Like there's this '98 Honda Accord I saw on cars.com that is at Bay City Motors in San Leandro, about 2 hrs north of Monterey.
It has 250k miles and is $3,495.
If it runs ok, it might be a good option. It's hard to tell how nice it is from pics on the internet, but it did look in decent condition.

I will check out those areas you mentioned. It would be nice to not have to drive 2 hrs away, which would eat up much of the day.

Thanks again for your information, it's very helpful. I'm only in town for the weekend, so I don't have a big window to get the car, but gotta get one, because now he just rides his bike.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:28 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,918,182 times
I would just check cars.com. There, you can filter for distance, price, make, model, mileage, used or new, etc. They have listings for dealerships, used car lots, and private parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County