Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 07:12 AM

2 posts, read 25,919 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Austin TX, and I have been given a great opportunity to move up in my company, but it requires me to relocate to our site in Monterey CA. I love Austin, but this is the perfect time in my life for a change. I have read a bunch of the threads on the Monterey Bay area and am feeling discouraged about this move based on all of the negative things I am reading. Most posts are essentially saying that it is a beautiful area, but it isn't great for young singles and it is terribly overpriced. I want to live somewhere within 20 minutes of Monterey, where I can build a social life with other young single professionals (30-35). I am a runner and I hear the area has plenty of outdoor activities to do in a beautiful setting so I am excited about that. I hear Santa Cruz could be a good option for me, but I would like to hear some thoughts from people who have lived in the area. I am relocating soon and I will fly out in a few weeks to visit, but any advice you have to help me learn the area would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 08:27 AM

32 posts, read 120,785 times
I just spent a few days in Monterey, a reunion of sorts, and one of the things that I did notice, while strolling along the main Pacific Grove blvd, was how old the population was. Downtown Monterey, on Friday night, I noticed the younger generation was out and about. Also, the price for California real estate invariably causes sticker shock to people moving here however, beyond that, if you like the mid california coast, it is a lovely area.

Santa Cruz also lovely, is more than 20 minutes away, and is a far busy-er place in general.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:17 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Don't be discouraged. It is one of the best places on the planet to live.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:48 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
There is no place within 20 minutes of Monterey better for you to live than Monterey itself. Santa Cruz would be more like an hour, especially during rush hour. I think you are overreacting and worried about nothing really. You have to take posts on a forum like this with a big grain of salt. First of all the median age for Monterey is 36 not 70+. //www.city-data.com/city/Monterey-California.html

I live and work here and have many friends in this median age range. We have 4 colleges and universities here. While Monterey is no SF, LA or NYC there are young ppl here and plenty of things to do. Pebble Beach and Pacific Grove have more older retirees. But even there you still have young professionals as well. Though Monterey itself has more. When you come to visit just walk around downtown Monterey and you will see no shortage of ppl your own age and younger.

Derek

Old 06-25-2011, 12:39 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,515 times
Yes, the commute from Santa Cruz will be a long one especially if there is traffic.
I agree with Mt.Surfer ... you're worrying when you don't have to.
And you will be in one of the most beautiful parts of CA (imo).
And just a bit south is Big Sur ... you can run the next Big Sur International Marathon and to the north is Santa Cruz county ... an easy and relatively short drive (about 40-45 minutes when there's no traffic) if you ever want to get out of Monterey and play up here and San Francisco is a longer drive but close enough if you want to experience the city (the most beautiful city in the country! ... imo).
But yes, it is expensive to live on the Monterey Bay (and Santa Cruz county is no less expensive) and finding good and affordable housing is a challenge.
That's one thing that you can't get away from and you'll probably be surprised to see how expensive rentals are.
It's just whether or not paying the extra $$$ for rent is worth it for you.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:05 PM

2 posts, read 25,919 times
I didn't expect people to respond so quickly...Thank you! I am already feeling better about this move! I don't have a lot of time to figure out this move, so any suggestions you have on specific areas to live would be greatly appreciated! I don't know what to expect in rent exactly, but I am wanting a 2 bedroom place preferably with a little place my 10 lb dog can run around but that is no deal breaker. I would like to live near the water, but it is more important that I live in a place that will make it easy to build a new social life. This will be the first move I've ever made to a place where I know absolutely nobody (I haven't even met my new coworkers yet!). Any suggestions on specific areas to check out while I am in town?

Old 06-25-2011, 01:39 PM

I recommend targeting Monterey, PG or Carmel.

The only area to really avoid in Monterey is the northern boundary near Seaside which is kinda run down. It's the area with a bunch of larger apartment complexes all crammed together from approximately Casa Verde Way northeast to Freemont. Its like a triangle parcel of apartment land if you look at google maps. Seaside and Marina are definately a far second best from living in Monterey, PG and Carmel. But certain parts of Seaside (upper Seaside) are nicer than others. Marina is the foggiest area which also has some so/so locations.

Check craigslist often. Although this is a big dog community just keep in mind some property owner don't allow pets. So you'll have to look a bit more because of that and it may require checking Marina & Seaside as well. Just have some places in mind to visit when you come out and really check out the neighborhoods to see where you feel most comfortable. There is a lot of variation in neighborhoods within a few miles a each other (upscale to run down cars in the front yard, etc...). You can actually see a lot from google map street view.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 06-25-2011 at 02:04 PM..

Old 06-25-2011, 06:55 PM

38,862 posts, read 22,849,388 times
Consider yourself VERY fortunate to have the opportunity to relocate to Monterey. If I were able to do so, I'd move there in a heartbeat! This part of the state is one of the most beautiful (my humble opinion) and I LOVE how nice and temperate the weather is most of the year. Good luck and welcome to California!

Old 06-25-2011, 08:57 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
There is no place within 20 minutes of Monterey better for you to live than Monterey itself.
Absolutely. I worked in Monterey and commuted from Salinas for several years before landing a good spot in Monterey. Its better not having to drive a half hour each way to get home plus there's lots more to do and the town is much nicer. You will have a social life if you wish - I guarantee it. There are a lot of single professionals in your age bracket. The only downside to Monterey is that while there are lots of apartments, most were built during the 50s and 60s and tend to not have the amenities newer apartments do. The only other area I would equally consider would be Pacific Grove. Its great and is right next door to Monterey.

Keep an eye out for guest house rentals on the Peninsula. I had a coworker who lived in a great neighborhood renting from a nice old couple who had a beautiful one bedroom guest house behind their main house. Its an affluent area and many homes have such set ups.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Absolutely. I worked in Monterey and commuted from Salinas for several years before landing a good spot in Monterey. Its better not having to drive a half hour each way to get home plus there's lots more to do and the town is much nicer. You will have a social life if you wish - I guarantee it. There are a lot of single professionals in your age bracket. The only downside to Monterey is that while there are lots of apartments, most were built during the 50s and 60s and tend to not have the amenities newer apartments do. The only other area I would equally consider would be Pacific Grove. Its great and is right next door to Monterey.

Keep an eye out for guest house rentals on the Peninsula. I had a coworker who lived in a great neighborhood renting from a nice old couple who had a beautiful one bedroom guest house behind their main house. Its an affluent area and many homes have such set ups.
This is an excellent point. Don't shy away from our elderly population or the nice neighborhoods they live just because of your age. PG, Carmel and even Pebble Beach are great places to live, enjoy the beaches, excercise, etc... And they are not far at all from Monterey where more younger folks tend to hang out. The old people won't bite. Some are even friendly.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County