Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 01:21 AM

70 posts, read 149,329 times

Advertisements

So based on your input, would this shape generally represent the areas that have less fog cover over the course of the year:
Attached Thumbnails
Monterey Sunbelt-untitled.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 01:31 AM

64 posts, read 264,516 times
Yes, one day at Point Lobos I sat and watched a Mother whale send her baby into one of the coves to protect it from three Orcas. She did well and she and her baby survived. It was outstanding to see. The baby was in the torquoise more shallow waters of the cove and she swam back and forth in front of the cove in the deeper blue water until the Orcas grew tired and looked for another meal.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:44 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transitory View Post
So based on your input, would this shape generally represent the areas that have less fog cover over the course of the year:
Generally, except I might be tempted to cut it in half and consider the right half the true sunbelt closer to the airport. Or at least cut the left third off. The left side sometimes gets the residual effects/benefits of geographic proximity to it. And of course its not locked in stone as clouds and weather do shift. But there are general patterns which apply because of the natural geography of the land. Your highlighted region is almost the entire city of Monterey.

Lastly the sunbelt will not guarantee that it will always be sunny. Rather there will be more sunny days than the surrounding areas. We still get storms and fog in the sunbelt. However the fog is noticably less than when we lived in PG. And our neighbors who have moved from Pebble Beach and other local areas definately see the difference as well.

Derek

Old 07-02-2011, 02:29 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Lastly the sunbelt will not guarantee that it will always be sunny. Rather there will be more sunny days than the surrounding areas.
Oftentimes you still get the fog, it just burns off earlier in the day in that area and comes back in later.

Living there and being raised on the west side of San Francisco has taught me you just need to accept the central and north coast for what it is oftentimes - foggy! Enjoy the sun while its out but don't get all bummed when it isn't.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel123 View Post
Yes, one day at Point Lobos I sat and watched a Mother whale send her baby into one of the coves to protect it from three Orcas. She did well and she and her baby survived. It was outstanding to see. The baby was in the torquoise more shallow waters of the cove and she swam back and forth in front of the cove in the deeper blue water until the Orcas grew tired and looked for another meal.
Carmel123, that sounds awesome. I would have loved to have seen that. Was it in Whalers Cove? We really enjoy whale watching and normally go out to Sea Lion Point. I actually got my first image published from there of the whales migrating at sunset.

Derek

Old 07-02-2011, 11:15 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,349 times
MtnSurfer stop posting those great pics! You're making me regret moving away.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:31 AM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel123 View Post
Yes. Mnt.Surfer you are correct, I am in Carmel Highlands. I am just trying to warn others of this terminology. It is buyer beware and do not believe realtors terminology without verifying the facts. I am not unhappy with our choice, but our location is not sunnier that others. We were told when we bought that this location did have more sunshine and that simply is not true. Still it is a very special location regardless of the fog.

Several lustrum ago, Kim Novak lived in the Carmel Highlands.

Have a beautiful day.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:10 AM

Today was another good day for the sunbelt. Our kiddos were playing in the water at the beach. So while there I snapped a few quick pictures (nothing special) to show things from a few different angles.

Looking toward the Marina fog wall from the sunbelt with blue sky overhead:

Looking out to sea at the back wall of the inverted 'U' shaped fog bank:

Panning toward Pacific Grove and Monterey:

Notice the distinct fog line:

I just did a quick pan. I would like to make a stitched pano of the whole thing at some point. But I think you get the idea and can see the distinct wall of fog from an area of sun.

Today was a good example of what Jeffredo described. It started with low clouds everywhere. Then it gave way to sun and blue sky in the sunbelt which spread out thru the afternoon. Yet Marina and PG were still in the fog pretty much all day. Eventually downtown Monterey including the wharf was in the sun as well.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-03-2011 at 12:46 AM..

Old 07-03-2011, 12:57 AM

70 posts, read 149,329 times
Quite useful information! Which beach was this at? Del Monte, Monterey State Beach?

Old 07-03-2011, 09:19 AM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
The Real Monterey Sunbelt = Carmel Valley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County