Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 12:09 PM

24 posts, read 49,388 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to the Monterey, CA area to work at the DoD Center area in Fort Ord. I'm looking for any advice on this move, particularly regarding rental apartments and location.

I'm looking for a studio or 1-bedroom apartment for $1300 or less. I do not care about square footage - a coffin apartment is fine. What I do care about is location. In particular, I'd like to be able to walk from the apartment to someplace (restaurants, stores, parks, trails). Being on a convenient bus route to work is a huge plus too. Being able to walk to work or ride a bike there (while avoiding major bike-unfriendly streets) would be even better.

Are the towns of Seaside/Marina/Pacific Grove walkable? I'd like to avoid living in an area which is surrounded by housing or where the only stores are big-box retailers.

Does CSU-Monterey Bay have a college town area, or is it more of a commuter school?

Anything else I should know as a mid-20s single male moving to the area?

Are many apartments dog-friendly? I don't have one now, but I've been thinking about it..

[edit] Being able to live without a car would be optimal. (I wouldn't mind utilizing rentals/zipcars for travel outside the area once every few weeks)

Last edited by ecd.; 10-10-2011 at 12:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 01:23 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
My brother recently told me a new MALL has been built in Fort Ord on 12th St/ Imjin PKWY. He used to teach at a school on the Fort. He said, a lot has been changed in Fort Ord, from the way it was.

Long ago we lived in Stillwell Park, close to Gigling Road. These might still be rented, but they are homes.

I don't know about any small apts for rent in Fort Ord, but there may be some. Marina is closest to 12th STreet gate. If you can't find a suitable apt on the Fort, i would think you can find one in Marina.

They were renting Townhouses out previously over close to Frietsche Airfield & the back fence of Marina. I guess maybe it's now called Marina Airport instead of Frietsche.

Best of Luck to you.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:22 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Hi ecd,

Have you visited the area yet? If you haven't I think that's an important first step. It sounds like you have a dream location in mind and wondering if this is it = college town which is safe and walkable, no need for a car to get to work, etc...

First of all Fort Ord is a base. The closest cities with stores, restaurants, etc... are Marina and Seaside. Many CSUMB students live over there. But neither is a college town per se. If I were young and single moving to the area I would probably want to live in Monterey for close proximity to everything of interest to me. But I also always had a car, even at 16. That said many people in the area bike to work. So you could do that from close by cities (Seaside, Marina, Monterey).

The base also has housing for military and contractors. The rates are pretty reasonable. I guess it really depends what you like to do.

Derek

Old 10-11-2011, 04:02 PM

Thanks for the info.

I have visited recently and have seen that many areas aren't easily walk-able. But I haven't given up hope.

I've found that bus 74 travels there from downtown Monterey in 15 minutes and downtown Monterey seems like it should be a nice area. Thus, that's where I'm focusing my apartment search , though I have found only a couple options there. If anyone has any info on apartments near Tyler & Franklin, it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:47 AM

113 posts, read 252,300 times
I would be wary of any property management firms for apartments. Some are known in this area for not returning security deposits unless you have excellent documentation. Take pictures of everything when you move in and save those pictures.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:54 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie123 View Post
I would be wary of any property management firms for apartments. Some are known in this area for not returning security deposits unless you have excellent documentation. Take pictures of everything when you move in and save those pictures.
"Some are known in this area for not returning security deposits unless you have excellent documentations." ?
Huh?
The Monterey area isn't more likely to have dishonest property managers.
But it's a good idea to be careful with any rental situation ... Obviously ... no matter where one is renting.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:42 PM

I'm familiar and used to dishonest property managers, so its not a new thing for me.

I've seen very few apartments listed on rent.com and apartments.com, but it seems like Mangold Property Management has a few. Are there any other good sources? I can try craigslist again (it was somewhat difficult to visualize where each place was located without checking each one). In particular, I'm trying to find more downtown Monterey possibilities, since I only know of one now.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:02 PM

276 posts, read 774,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecd. View Post
I'm familiar and used to dishonest property managers, so its not a new thing for me.

I've seen very few apartments listed on rent.com and apartments.com, but it seems like Mangold Property Management has a few. Are there any other good sources? I can try craigslist again (it was somewhat difficult to visualize where each place was located without checking each one). In particular, I'm trying to find more downtown Monterey possibilities, since I only know of one now.
Try both of these sites out. Enter your search criteria and voila.

Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments

Apartments for Rent - Rent My Apartment - Your Place for Apartments - RentingTime - Rent your Apartment

Sometimes not all the craigslist listings show up (bug). Most of them do. It's great to look at a map and find places in the locations you like.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:21 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,151 times
monterey bay apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Old 10-13-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBBQ View Post
Try both of these sites out. Enter your search criteria and voila.

Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments

Apartments for Rent - Rent My Apartment - Your Place for Apartments - RentingTime - Rent your Apartment

Sometimes not all the craigslist listings show up (bug). Most of them do. It's great to look at a map and find places in the locations you like.
Thanks a lot Only been looking at PadMapper thus far, but its much more efficient than what I was doing and I see some more options now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County