Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 09:31 PM

4 posts, read 9,109 times

Advertisements

What towns are pretty, friendly, safe, arts oriented and where I can find a small house to rent without spending a fortune?

I am a single woman looking to relocate from the Midwest, self employed, wanting to settle down in a nice town, get involved with the community and start dating again, so a place where there may be single guys in the same age group would be great.

I am looking at both coasts, btw, looking for the same things, but of course, Monterey would have better weather than Maine or Mass.....

Last edited by UnDsided; 07-14-2012 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 12:25 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Monterey and Santa Cruz are good choices. The economy is a little better in Monterey when it comes to jobs because of the military presence. And of course tourism is huge as well with Pebble Beach, Carmel, Big Sur, Laguna Seca, etc... Though Santa Cruz has fewer jobs locally many people drive over the hill into San Jose for work. The reason I bring this up is that many college towns have single *unemployed* students vs. singles living on their own with a job/career. Both are also college towns BTW with universities and junior colleges.

Have you visited both coasts? I recommend doing so when you get closer to a decision to get a feel for the vibes in these various areas. Yes, they have totally different climates which may play into your decision depending on what you like to do in terms of year round outdoor activities. People in Monterey tend to be very active for the most part enjoying all kinds of outdoor sports and hobbies.

Derek

Old 07-15-2012, 05:01 PM

Thanks Derek! I have not been to either, but I am leaning towards Monterey. I am sick of snow and ice and would love to live in a more temperate climate.

Can you suggest nice areas in the towns you mentioned? I want a safe area.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:42 PM

Monterey like Santa Cruz is both a larger county and a smaller city within the county. I recommend to city of Monterey. All of it is pretty nice, safe, etc... The only part I don't like is the northern border nearer to Seaside, especially where all the apatments are. This area seems a bit more run down to me. That area is generally a triangle of land from Casa Verde to Fremont to Seaside.

In Santa Cruz crime is definately worse in the city in certain areas. They have a crime map you can take a look at. Also see this thread discussing crime: //www.city-data.com/forum/calif...-cities-2.html

Derek

Old 07-15-2012, 10:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,692 times
Monterey proper tends to be a bit expensive - and a bit socially conservative. People tend to be a bit more subdued in mood and dress...kind of northwest-ish at times, I blame the occasional foggy days. You're going to see a few panhandlers, but there's rarely any real crazies other than dumb kids trying to be "punk" or "skater" and they're really small in number. Not many big box stores, more small specialty places. Monterey's architecture seems half maritime (anchor motifs, old sea weathered wood and iron), half Brady Bunch 1970's. Some of the businesses have 70's-ish signs and storefronts. There's a strange charm to it.

Monterey county in general is a series of shocking constrasts. Monterey itself tends to have a mix of ages and races, though wealthy whites in their 40's and up seem to be more of a majority. The language institute brings a few different cultures into town, and there are a few very good restaurants that make great ethnic cuisine. Also a lot of great seafood places.

A few miles from Monterey is Carmel. And by extension Pebble Beach and the infamous 17 Mile Drive. Old money and trust fund kids. Monterey is more high brow than the rest of the county, but compared to said areas, it looks a little worn. If you're a person of average, humble means, you may feel a bit out of place. I'm not saying move there - it's way beyond a single person's price point, but when you're looking for mini-adventures...you'll inevitably check them out.

Going toward the southern part of the county, you'll pass through Marina and Seaside. Though not technically "south" - they'll lead you toward Salinas, which itself leads into "south county." Marina is very ethnically diverse, and Seaside is one of the only areas in the county with a sizeable black population. Both have a reputation for crime, but I think its blown out of proportion by xenophobia. Crime was higher when the old military base was in the area (HIGH PROSTITUTION AND DRUGS IN THE LATE 80'S/EARLY 90'S!), now it's not as bad.

Salinas - don't even consider going, even for a day trip. Nothing but Mexican gangbangers and Spanish-speaking businesses. Regardless of your ethnicity, you'll get terrible customer service anywhere you go unless you speak Spanish. You might get by at Target, Safeway, the movie theater, or buying gas...the rest? Forget it. Every few days, someone's getting shot, seems like.

South of Salinas are a series of "blink and you'll miss them" type towns with similar demographics to Salinas and even less to do.

King City is already hitting the extreme south of the county. Was nice a decade ago, now full of gangsters and Spanish-speaking businesses (see the trend here?). All the farmers and their families moved down to San Luis Obispo county, which is beautiful...but a different story altogether.

I guess the final verdict is - Monterey is a bit pricey, but doable if you're frugal. Cannery Row and area is a nice walk and cheap entertainment (unless you go to the aquarium!). Beaches are also nice, but cold, more for looks than swimming.

It rarely gets really hot, nor freezing cold. Light jackets and long sleeves are fine.

As far as the "singles scene" - well, I'm a man, so I'm not looking for other men, but what I can tell...a lot of military guys (you can pick them out with their buzz cuts and size too small t-shirts) and a smattering of "artsy types" who hang out at the East Village coffeehouse with trenchcoats and fedora hats, pendants and long hair talking about their latest pastel drawings or poetry collections.

Then there's a few normal guys who work normal jobs in Salinas, and a few hardcores go to Santa Cruz. Monterey itself doesn't have a huge job market, but I suspect it's much better than Maine!!!

It is a nice place. The first time you're passing Seaside/Sand City toward Monterey, look to your right - the view of the ocean from the freeway will take your breath away...especially when the sun is setting. Wow.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:23 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,222 times
I will second the previous poster. I was born and raised in the area and it's true,lots of money with the 40 and older crowd. I know a lot of these folks,they all worked very hard and made it the old fashion way. Many bought homes in the area and invested in them up,sold them and made good money or have kept them for rentals.
Carmel Valley is beautiful too. A bit pricey but a studio can be doable. Charming,darling town with better weather.
Good luck,it's a beautiful place and if yor outgoing,get involved you will be ok there.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:24 PM

Thanks very much for your input. Are there any areas to look for in particular or any areas to stay away from when searching rental properties?

Old 07-16-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnDsided View Post
Thanks very much for your input. Are there any areas to look for in particular or any areas to stay away from when searching rental properties?
If you are new to the area I recommend sticking with the city of Monterey and avoiding the part I mentioned above. Once here you can explore more. But being close in to the city is really nice, especially since it isn't large to begin with. If you lived further out in lets say Carmel Valley you would be further away from others, stores, etc... Though Carmel Valley is another really nice area, espcially if you like more country living.

Derek

Old 07-17-2012, 01:50 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anytimeisagoodtimeforpie View Post
The first time you're passing Seaside/Sand City toward Monterey, look to your right - the view of the ocean from the freeway will take your breath away...especially when the sun is setting. Wow.
+1 I had the pleasure of seeing this the last time I was in town. The only thing that made the drive even better? Eating fresh strawberries from a local roadside stand at the same time.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:28 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
You may want to also consider Pacific Grove. It has a nice small town feel to it. Haven't been in awhile but it seemed a bit funkier than Carmel or Monterey, in a good way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County