Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 11:58 AM

665 posts, read 613,398 times

Advertisements

Whatever the new forum is called, I think SLO County should be included. Right now, there's nowhere for people of that area to discuss topics outside the general California forum. I also think Santa Barbara and Ventura counties should be grouped together at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 12:28 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasy973 View Post
Whatever the new forum is called, I think SLO County should be included. Right now, there's nowhere for people of that area to discuss topics outside the general California forum. I also think Santa Barbara and Ventura counties should be grouped together at least.
For SLO & Monterey Bay, it could be named the Central Coast forum.

Oh. I see others have suggested that, too. Well, now that there are so many retirees looking to move to the Central Coast, as well as students inquiring about colleges in the area, maybe the topic should be revived? There seems to be a little more demand, these days...

Old 05-24-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
For SLO & Monterey Bay, it could be named the Central Coast forum.

Oh. I see others have suggested that, too. Well, now that there are so many retirees looking to move to the Central Coast, as well as students inquiring about colleges in the area, maybe the topic should be revived? There seems to be a little more demand, these days...
Correct. A lot of people are looking for options and activities outside the major metros like LA, SD & SF.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:45 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,766,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasy973 View Post
I also think Santa Barbara and Ventura counties should be grouped together at least.
I also requested this change, and provided reasons for doing so, having lived in the area for over twenty years. The request worked its way through the process to its end, and was never acted upon, nor acknowledged one way or the other by the one to make the final decision. Probably will never happen.

As it is currently, SB folk and those who inquire about SB, (south of Point Conception), usually ask their questions in the Ventura forum. Still, the name change would avoid confusion by 'drop ins'.

About Santa Cruz, this lifelong Southern Californian resident, (until retirement last year), never consider SC part of Central California. Nor part of the 'bay area'. As CousinMaynard said, (paraphrased), "It's just by itself." Us southerners always considered Monterey to be the northernmost extent of "Central California".

The term, "Central California", needs to be considered in the context it is being used. Is one talking about the central California coastal communities, , (Monterey to Point Conception from the beach to the coastal ranges), or the San Joaquin Valley? Or even the southern Sierras from Tehachapi to about just north of Yosemite? Same term is used for all three areas, but very rarely are the three areas considered together as central "Central California, (unless one is referring specifically to a latitudinal designation). The Eastern Sierras, (Owens Valley), even though geographically in the middle of California is never thought of as "Central California". (Again, these 'opinions' are from someone who has lived their whole life in SoCal. You in NorCal most likely view the distinctions differently.)

A complex and dynamic state. Just one aspect of its greatness.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 05-24-2018, 07:16 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I also requested this change, and provided reasons for doing so, having lived in the area for over twenty years. The request worked its way through the process to its end, and was never acted upon, nor acknowledged one way or the other by the one to make the final decision. Probably will never happen.

As it is currently, SB folk and those who inquire about SB, (south of Point Conception), usually ask their questions in the Ventura forum. Still, the name change would avoid confusion by 'drop ins'.

About Santa Cruz, this lifelong Southern Californian resident, (until retirement last year), never consider SC part of Central California. Nor part of the 'bay area'. As CousinMaynard said, (paraphrased), "It's just by itself." Us southerners always considered Monterey to be the northernmost extent of "Central California".

The term, "Central California", needs to be considered in the context it is being used. Is one talking about the central California coastal communities, , (Monterey to Point Conception from the beach to the coastal ranges), or the San Joaquin Valley? Or even the southern Sierras from Tehachapi to about just north of Yosemite? Same term is used for all three areas, but very rarely are the three areas considered together as central "Central California, (unless one is referring specifically to a latitudinal designation). The Eastern Sierras, (Owens Valley), even though geographically in the middle of California is never thought of as "Central California". (Again, these 'opinions' are from someone who has lived their whole life in SoCal. You in NorCal most likely view the distinctions differently.)

Thanks for responding, Volsong. I guess it helps to know that even some moderators make requests that are never granted nor even acknowledged at times. I worked hard to get this form started. Though my request was for a 'Central Coast' forum I was glad to eventually get something. I know what its like to feel unrepresented and instead have to resort to the larger California forum for area specific questions. That is not always fun or very helpful with all the bored, wise guys hanging around waiting to make irrelevant comments.

Derek

Old 05-25-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
I think the suggestion of 'Monterey Bay' for a subforum would cover both Monterey and Santa Cruz counties. The central coast subforum could cover SLO County and northern Santa Barbara county (Santa Maria, Orcutt, etc) since they're closer together and more aligned to each other.

I personally have only been to SLO/Pismo once a few years ago. I would love to go back and go to Monterey and Santa Cruz.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:23 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,843 times
I do think there is a difference between the northern central coast and those coastal places nearer to LA - but that's just me.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:17 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,765 times
...I don't know? Plenty of people commute from Santa Cruz up over the pass into Los Gatos/San Jose/Mountain View and Palo Alto.

That would make Santa Cruz County a commuter suburb to the South Bay Area just by default, regardless of proximity to Monterey.

Old 05-29-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your earlier lobbying efforts. Central CA and Central Coast Ca are two different entities, though. I like your Eastern Sierras/Owens Valley concept, though. Bring back the Owens Valley! (Pardon my digression.)

When did you propose the Central Coast forum, how long ago? I wonder if the Powers That Be would be amenable to a change, now that there's more interest in the area. Besides, it would only involve changing the name of the Monterey forum; it wouldn't be about creating a new forum, just renaming an existing one.

Thoughts?

Old 05-29-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
...I don't know? Plenty of people commute from Santa Cruz up over the pass into Los Gatos/San Jose/Mountain View and Palo Alto.

That would make Santa Cruz County a commuter suburb to the South Bay Area just by default, regardless of proximity to Monterey.
I'm wondering where Half Moon Bay would fit in, in this whole scenario. Not Central Coast? North Coast? Bay Area coast? Peninsula coast?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County