Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 13,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyHeart View Post
I would appreciate any info about Monterey County/ Salinas, Ca in particular. I've done a search and found a few posts....most of them were not very encouraging.
I am looking at a great re-location package, but don't want to move somewhere I will hate!
The job is located in the town of Salinas....but I could consider surrounding areas of Monterey, etc.
Any info would be great....even if it just on living and working in Salinas/Monterey cty......
I live in Prunedale, California which is 15 miles north of Salinas. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT move into Salinas before checking with the police department first! There are some good neighborhoods but for the most part, Salinas is a gang banging city! Move into Monterey, Marina or Seaside first. This is a gorgeous area of the state but Salinas is a lost cause. They have drive by shootings and one of the highest homicide rates in the state. I am not exaggerating and as you can tell by the other people posting messages, this town is bad news. I go to a junior college there and do some shopping but I wouldn't go there at night for nothing man! Take the job but live outside the city dude!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 10:38 PM

1 posts, read 13,550 times
Default salinas

I think you all have only experienced the bad sides of Salinas. Seriously, have you only been to the east side? Yes, there's gangs there. Yes, there's shootings there. But honestly... i've lived in Salinas for 9 years and never been held at gun point, never seen a shooting, and never heard of any of my friends/relatives that have either. The south side of Salinas is a beautiful place to live. Go look at the houses over by memorial hospital and Carmel St. They are amazing.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:47 AM

51 posts, read 260,709 times
Wow, I didn't realize Salinas had gone so far downhill! I grew up there, but only visit once a year now.

I will tell you, my dad still works in Salinas - has for over 20 years - and he hasn't been robbed or mugged.

There are some nice neighborhoods out in the suburbs. See if you can find anything along Highway 68. Housing is expensive, but that's where the good schools are.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:41 AM

889 posts, read 3,116,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusannaK View Post
Wow, I didn't realize Salinas had gone so far downhill! I grew up there, but only visit once a year now.

I will tell you, my dad still works in Salinas - has for over 20 years - and he hasn't been robbed or mugged.

There are some nice neighborhoods out in the suburbs. See if you can find anything along Highway 68. Housing is expensive, but that's where the good schools are.
I grew up in Monterey and now am in N.C- how long have you been in the Carolina's?

Old 10-05-2007, 11:40 PM

85 posts, read 246,287 times
Default Monterey YES, Salinas NO!

I attended boarding school at Robert Louis Stevenson in Pebble Beach CA near Monterey and I know the area very well. The south/southwest area of Salinas is "old money" and a relatively safe and nice area of the city. The rest is pretty much garbage in my opinion. I went back there recently to visit some family in Monterey and while there I drove to Salinas and it is still a sad, boring little city.

Monterey on the other hand is still small and beautiful. Very clean and safe but also expensive to live. There are other small communties around Monterey that you may want to consider...Pacific Grove or some part of Marina or Seaside. Since the US Army shut down Fort Ord the "ghetto" of Seaside and Marina is starting to subside a bit.

I heard Prunedale as a suggestion on this post. Its a nice rural area to get away from the city ridden crime. Also you might consider smalls towns in the valley to include Gonzales, Soledad or Greenfield which have some crime but very little in comparison to Salinas.

My vote, if you have the money, is Monterey!

Old 10-15-2007, 01:01 PM

30 posts, read 145,739 times
Salinas isn't all bad. I have lived here for several years. If you stay in South Salinas you're looking at agreatarea, with great schools, and good local eats.

North Salinas and East Salinas are a big no.. most of these people here think of north salinas when they think of salinas.. they dont know it like I do... It has good and bad parts.. if you look at the crime rates watsonville and santa cruz, monterey and salinas are all comparable.

I would say don't move to monterey, if only because it entirely lacks a middle class.

People often equate salinas with fresno, and it just is not accurate. There is beautiful homes and communities.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:05 PM

And just for the record, people in santa cruz tend to see life through rose colored glasses. I worked in law enforcement in Santa Cruz.. it's a very crime ridden city... A look at their crime statistics will quickly show you that..

Old 10-15-2007, 01:08 PM

and for the record.. seaside is an S-hole... as is most of marina.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:13 PM

Reading this whole thing is pissign me off.. Most of the people commenting here are passing judgement based on what some friend said.. or the shooting they saw on the news.

I have lived in Salinas for several years, 5 to be exact. I have never once seen a shooting in person. I haven't been a victim of a crime besides hit and run on my parked car.. which could happen anywhere, and it was minor damage. You don't see very many gangs just walking on the street, unless you hang out in east salinas, and unless you speak spanish, you'll probably never find your way over there... there is nothign to do...

The problem in north and central salinas is prostitution in my opinion...

South Salinas, is awesome, and beautiful. I spend 80% of my time down there... I venture to wal-mart and costco in west salinas when Ihave to... and I shop at the mall in Monterey.

Truth be told I do live in Prunedale.. but I'd take a home in South Salinas in a second.... And the school s are some of the highest rated in the region...

There is no place for middle class people in Monterey... It just doesn't exist. Monterey is great to travel to on the weekend.. and have fun at... but is not meant for families.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:25 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,209 times
Quote:
jmhunter: Reading this whole thing is pissign me off.. Most of the people commenting here are passing judgement based on what some friend said.. or the shooting they saw on the news.

I have lived in Salinas for several years, 5 to be exact. I have never once seen a shooting in person. I haven't been a victim of a crime besides hit and run on my parked car.. which could happen anywhere, and it was minor damage. You don't see very many gangs just walking on the street, unless you hang out in east salinas, and unless you speak spanish, you'll probably never find your way over there... there is nothign to do...

The problem in north and central salinas is prostitution in my opinion...

South Salinas, is awesome, and beautiful. I spend 80% of my time down there... I venture to wal-mart and costco in west salinas when Ihave to... and I shop at the mall in Monterey.

Truth be told I do live in Prunedale.. but I'd take a home in South Salinas in a second.... And the school s are some of the highest rated in the region...

There is no place for middle class people in Monterey... It just doesn't exist. Monterey is great to travel to on the weekend.. and have fun at... but is not meant for families.

And just for the record, people in santa cruz tend to see life through rose colored glasses. I worked in law enforcement in Santa Cruz.. it's a very crime ridden city... A look at their crime statistics will quickly show you that..
Wow, what a post. Hmmm, I have no idea what kind of law enforcement you were working in Santa Cruz, however, I do work in a law enforcement agency in Santa Cruz, and I can tell you that you are highly exaggerating "crime" in Santa Cruz. If you are talking about Santa Cruz County then, yes, there is more crime in Watsonville and Freedom. However, Santa Cruz City?? Except for the Beach Flats area, and some homeless, there is very little. How you can say Salinas is "safe," is beyond me. There are always pockets of places that are okay in any town, however, Salinas and Watsonville are ripe with gang activity. Unfortunately, the gangs do not always stay in their own territory.

And you live in Prunedale...maybe you should tell people that is a very rural area....it's not a city by any means.

Yes, Monterey is now expensive...however, the homes there are often less expensive than in Santa Cruz ... even by the ocean. If you go to Pacific Grove or Carmel, then you'll see even higher costs.

Marina and Seaside are kind of bedroom communities with not a lot to do -- most people do recreational things in Monterey or Santa Cruz.

But to label Santa Cruz as crime-ridden -- well, I doubt if you worked in a real law enforcement agency, such as the Police Department or the Sheriff's Office, and if you did, then you are misleading people -- maybe you just want to do some PR for Salinas -- I don't know, because this is unjustified. And, Santa Cruz County is also a "model site" for reducing juvenile crime -- one of the most reduced counties in the country -- people come from all over the country (and other countries) to view the successes here. You do not give an accurate picture at all.

And, yes, Santa Cruz is known to have "rose-colored glasses," however, that mostly impacts business there, and is the reason for the very liberal atmosphere.

Folks, unfortunately this thread is not going to help most people. Go with what the majority says: Salinas and Watsonville are not considered "safe" towns (especially Salinas). Contact the local Sheriff's office in each town and get their records -- you will do better with correct information.

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County