Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 06:10 PM

6 posts, read 21,319 times

Advertisements

I plan to attend a city college in either the Santa Cruz area or possibly the Monterey area. I plan to become a marine biologist but i just dont know where to study? I live in fresno so both are about two hours away from me. And im graduating high school in june.

Which is better suited for a college study? Which would have the best educuation? (Uc santa or monterey state?) I plan to transfer to one of those later on. And which is more pricey? I understand that both are equally pricey but which stands up the highest? I just need some advice on this. Please and thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 06:52 PM

25,395 posts, read 18,524,462 times
Uh, no offense intended, but... wrong forum?

Old 05-24-2013, 10:03 AM

32,530 posts, read 47,608,287 times
Marine biologst? Will you make enough money flipping burgers to pay back your student loans? Because the 7 paid positions for marine biologist are already taken.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:28 AM

7,486 posts, read 10,448,162 times
I'd say, get your carcass out of CA just as fast as your wheels (or your feet) can take you. Good advice to give to the rest of the family, as well.

Oregon has the best advice -- stay away from student debt. If you can't, then don't go, Joe. As for the marine biologist stuff, sounds trendy and interesting. Any openings for that, anywhere? Do your research first, not after 4 years and $100k in debt.

Best interim advice I can give is, go work for an auto mechanic and learn the trade. People will be keeping their beaters for a lot longer, and auto mechanics will be in high demand. Doesn't sound classy, but oh...the cash will be SWEET! (And yes, ladies do this work, too).

Old 05-26-2013, 08:42 AM

Boy, OP, you really did take a wrong turn, didn't you? Told you so. Now as you drive along through this rough neighborhood, the locals are pointing, giving you the evil eye, and catcalling. Brutal.

Don't roll the window down, and for god's sake, don't stop the car! This ain't no place for a marine biologist to be.

Good luck. I hope you make it out of here alive.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:45 PM

8,193 posts, read 16,608,219 times
Wow, I'm kinda surprised by the rude comments. But maybe this thread got moved to the Monterey forum from the general CA forum. I don't know. Anyway, I think both Santa Cruz and Monterey are good bets for Marine Biology. it's a big focus over here in the Monterey Bay and there are *some* jobs. Though they may not all be glamorous or offer big bucks, especially right away. But if you enjoy research and sea life this is the place to be. The Monterey Aquarium offers some local jobs related to the field while in school. I would look for internships. Here are a few jobs you may be interested in: Aquarium Jobs, Employment in Monterey, CA | Indeed.com

Here are some jobs openings for graduates throughout the state: http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=marine+science&l=+CA

Here's another good website with Marine Science career info: http://www.marinecareers.net/

Derek

Old 05-26-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Wow, I'm kinda surprised by the rude comments.
So was I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
But maybe this thread got moved to the Monterey forum from the general CA forum. I don't know.
No, for some reason it was posted in the Self-Sufficiency forum. A wrong turn indeed, for the question. I was just trying to add a bit of humor, since I knew what kind of responses there would be... it can be a bit brutal there at times.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:17 PM

102,092 posts, read 107,180,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianaA View Post
I plan to attend a city college in either the Santa Cruz area or possibly the Monterey area. I plan to become a marine biologist but i just dont know where to study? I live in fresno so both are about two hours away from me. And im graduating high school in june.

Which is better suited for a college study? Which would have the best educuation? (Uc santa or monterey state?) I plan to transfer to one of those later on. And which is more pricey? I understand that both are equally pricey but which stands up the highest? I just need some advice on this. Please and thank you!
A UC school would be better than a state school. But have you looked at the Marine Biology departments in both schools, and compared the programs? Go with whichever school has a better reputation in Marine Biology. Sometimes it's not the obvious choice. Are you planning to go to grad school?

I might suggest you apply to both schools. After you get accepted to one or the other or both, then you can decide. In the meantime, do your research. Call and make an appointment with the undergraduate adviser in both departments, drive out and ask questions, learn more about the programs first hand.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:23 PM

8,193 posts, read 16,608,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
So was I.
No, for some reason it was posted in the Self-Sufficiency forum. A wrong turn indeed, for the question. I was just trying to add a bit of humor, since I knew what kind of responses there would be... it can be a bit brutal there at times.
Ok, that makes a bit more sense. These forums can be harsh as it is and that forum sounds even more so. The OP is new and then gets completely blasted for picking the wrong forum. I know these self-proclaimed geniuses think they are helping her. But she'll most likely not return.

Derek

Old 05-27-2013, 10:51 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,331,897 times
I have heard that not all credits are transferable from Monterey State. I found this review online where the student said that only one of their classes transferred to another CSU.

California State University Monterey Bay (StudentsReview) - Comments, Reviews and Advice, Student Life at California State University Monterey Bay

Better stick with the UC system. Plus, Santa Cruz is just way more fun than Monterey hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County