Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 09:37 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times

Advertisements

I think there are probably areas in SoCal I could live as well - Santa Barbara and San Diego for sure. Not sure about L.A. (please don't take offense if you're reading this, L.A. dudes/dudettes - I'm a Lakers fan if that helps). For me, though, Monterey Bay and SF Bay are special. Monterey Bay's just so calm and the people are so friendly and easy-going. I like the tolerance of each other's ideas. I like weirdness of Santa Cruz, the great military people I've met in Monterey, the sophisticated small town charm of Carmel, the fishermen along the coast, the hard-working farmers in the Salinas Valley, the brainpower and creativity of Silicon Valley, the energy of SF, the relaxing wine country, and the lack of pretense in Oakland. I dig it all. Will miss it all. I've lived a lot of places but this is the one place I've really enjoyed calling home. I honestly don't know if I'll be back. I hope so, but I don't necessarily get to make that decision unilaterally. I'd consider myself fortunate just to visit from time to time. Take care, all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 11:18 AM

68 posts, read 182,766 times
Hi,
First of all, I hope your move will go smooth and it won't be too hard!!! It always sucks to leave an awesome place!!! Good luck!!!!

I read your post and I can't help but ask you few questions:
Me and my husband are preparing our move out of the south of the US toward the West!
We are highly considering Denver Co (very sunny (although pretty cold winters), kind of a blue state, kind of a big city (with a major airport, many things to do, etc.)). SO, I'm a little worried about winters there and also the fact that it's a bit far from the ocean or any water!
We would love to just move to SF/bay area, but it so expensive!!!
Any advices on:

- How much on average a 1 bedroom apt costs/month in Monterey? (in a good area (clean/safe))
- How expensive is it to live in Monterey? (We eat healthy (and so we usually spend our money mostly in grocery shopping (fresh food), do you have good farmers markets? Healthy stores?...).
- Do you need a car in Monterey? (how is the transportation system?)
- I work from home and so I will have a job when I move there (although, I will still look for other opportunities), my husband will be looking in the Arts (music,/media/literature): how is Montery for this type of field?
-How is downtown montery? (any night scene? any good coffee shops? Record stores? Bookstores?...)
and finally is Montery a safe city? (can we walk by night and still feel safe?). What are the neighborhoods to avoid if we are looking to rent a 1 bedroom apt?

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!

Old 03-25-2014, 08:32 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Hey moving2013,

I can address some of your questions, especially since we moved from Colorado to Monterey. We lived in the Springs and still have relatives in Denver.

First of all if you enjoy warmer weather and the coast, CO will be a challenge. While we enjoyed our time there it definitely had its drawbacks, primarily related to the weather and being land locked smack dab in the middle of the US.

I have always loved the ocean and also really enjoy the mountains. I was hoping living near the mountains would be enough to satisfy my love for the great outdoors. While the Rockies are great I just missed the coast too darn much, to the point where I would actually dream about it. I thought about the ocean, sand, seagulls, dolphins, waves, salt air, etc... too much! Then the snow and cold tended to get to me as I really like to be out and about. I still went out while everyone else was hunkered down. But it gets cold, sometimes really cold! Deep down I knew I had to return to the sea. It was just a matter of time. So... eventually... I did.

There are decent farmers markets which we pick things up at. Food will not be your highest cost, especially if you don't eat out very much. The highest cost of living factor in Monterey is housing. If you're ok with something smallish it shouldn't be too bad. But it will definitely cost more than what you are used to as its pretty prime coastal real estate with many great benefits including the weather. That's what you'll be paying for, not the size or age of your place.

As far as checking/comparing prices your best bet is Craigslist: craigslist: monterey bay classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Downtown Monterey is nice though obviously not a large city. We're not into the night scene too much. So I can't really comment on that.

I can't speak to finding work in the arts either. Though I'm sure it isn't easy which is probably the case in many/most cities. I guess it depends on what the positions are he is trying to apply for (e.g. teaching, working in a record shop, selling one's paintings, etc...)? Carmel has a rich history of famous artists and there are some nice galleries there. But finding work is really a different question. What does he do now?

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 03-25-2014 at 08:48 PM..

Old 03-26-2014, 10:37 AM

Thank you so so very much Derek! Loved your answer (especially because you actually experienced living in Denver!!!).
When you talked about housing, do you mean when you are trying to buy a house or when you are just looking to rent a tiny 1 bedroom apt? I will be searching on craigslist and other websites for 1 bedroom apt rentals.

He works in a Record store now and on the side he writes (fiction) and paints.
Yeah it's not really easy to get paid for what he does in any city in the world!

But I can definitely move with my job. I just want to have an idea on how much it will cost me for the apt and monthly charges (electric, water,...) before we make a move.

I spent my childhood years in the south of France and I know for sure that on the long term I need to live in a city that has that Mediterranean feel. So, harsh weather matters very very much to me.

Thank you again!!!

Old 03-26-2014, 12:12 PM

643 posts, read 917,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Hey moving2013,

I can address some of your questions, especially since we moved from Colorado to Monterey. We lived in the Springs and still have relatives in Denver.

First of all if you enjoy warmer weather and the coast, CO will be a challenge. While we enjoyed our time there it definitely had its drawbacks, primarily related to the weather and being land locked smack dab in the middle of the US.

I have always loved the ocean and also really enjoy the mountains. I was hoping living near the mountains would be enough to satisfy my love for the great outdoors. While the Rockies are great I just missed the coast too darn much, to the point where I would actually dream about it. I thought about the ocean, sand, seagulls, dolphins, waves, salt air, etc... too much! Then the snow and cold tended to get to me as I really like to be out and about. I still went out while everyone else was hunkered down. But it gets cold, sometimes really cold! Deep down I knew I had to return to the sea. It was just a matter of time. So... eventually... I did.

There are decent farmers markets which we pick things up at. Food will not be your highest cost, especially if you don't eat out very much. The highest cost of living factor in Monterey is housing. If you're ok with something smallish it shouldn't be too bad. But it will definitely cost more than what you are used to as its pretty prime coastal real estate with many great benefits including the weather. That's what you'll be paying for, not the size or age of your place.

As far as checking/comparing prices your best bet is Craigslist: craigslist: monterey bay classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Downtown Monterey is nice though obviously not a large city. We're not into the night scene too much. So I can't really comment on that.

I can't speak to finding work in the arts either. Though I'm sure it isn't easy which is probably the case in many/most cities. I guess it depends on what the positions are he is trying to apply for (e.g. teaching, working in a record shop, selling one's paintings, etc...)? Carmel has a rich history of famous artists and there are some nice galleries there. But finding work is really a different question. What does he do now?

Derek
Mtn Surfer, I quote your post for the OP..

This area has some great farmers markets! I do about 90% of my weekly shopping at farmers markets, especially the MPC friday market and Cabrillo Sat morning market. Eating out here is super expensive!!

Rent is high, but its not that high. I pay 1150 for a one bedroom right in downtown and I couldnt be happier.

Downtown (alvarado st) is a lot of fun. I think it could be a super downtown with some more planning, but there are seven bars on the same street, so it is a fun bar crawl in my opinion.

Not sure about jobs, there does seem to be a lack of jobs outside tourism though. BUt like anywhere, you just need to find one in your niche.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:47 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving2013 View Post
Hi,
First of all, I hope your move will go smooth and it won't be too hard!!! It always sucks to leave an awesome place!!! Good luck!!!!

I read your post and I can't help but ask you few questions:
Me and my husband are preparing our move out of the south of the US toward the West!
We are highly considering Denver Co (very sunny (although pretty cold winters), kind of a blue state, kind of a big city (with a major airport, many things to do, etc.)). SO, I'm a little worried about winters there and also the fact that it's a bit far from the ocean or any water!
We would love to just move to SF/bay area, but it so expensive!!!
Any advices on:

- How much on average a 1 bedroom apt costs/month in Monterey? (in a good area (clean/safe))
- How expensive is it to live in Monterey? (We eat healthy (and so we usually spend our money mostly in grocery shopping (fresh food), do you have good farmers markets? Healthy stores?...).
- Do you need a car in Monterey? (how is the transportation system?)
- I work from home and so I will have a job when I move there (although, I will still look for other opportunities), my husband will be looking in the Arts (music,/media/literature): how is Montery for this type of field?
-How is downtown montery? (any night scene? any good coffee shops? Record stores? Bookstores?...)
and finally is Montery a safe city? (can we walk by night and still feel safe?). What are the neighborhoods to avoid if we are looking to rent a 1 bedroom apt?

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!
Thanks for the post.

I won't lie: Monterey, like much of coastal California, is really expensive, though relative to SF Bay and Silicon Valley, it's not that bad. But rents on a one bedroom? Depends on what you want and need. You can get shabby ones for as little as $600, I reckon, but the better ones will probably run you around $900-1000, I'm guessing. It's been a while since I've lived in the city of Monterey - we own a home up the road, and I also live in South SF Bay during the week.

I would recommend finding a place in what's called New Monterey, or in one of the little neighborhoods off of Franklin Ave. You'll go up the hill, and you're gonna get some unbelievable views if you go high enough. You might get into the pricey areas, but you might luck out if you get a place close to Lighthouse Ave. The thing is, if you live in Monterey, you're never too far from a beach, and if you live in the city, you could probably walk around to a lot of places. You just get a parking permit, leave your car on the street, and walk places. I would probably NOT give up your car, but if you absolutely had to, you could get around, I think. I did that a lot when I was in the city. Monterey's doable as a renter, but buying a home? That'll be stressful unless you're making some bank and there aren't that many big time employers in Monterey. FWIW, Monterey's great for the arts - Santa Cruz and Carmel are probably better, for different reasons, but Monty's okay. Monterey is extremely safe. Walked home at night many a time and never once felt endangered. The only neighborhoods I would avoid are close to Seaside. Otherwise? It's fine. You might encounter a few transients here and there, but they're generally harmless.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:12 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving2013 View Post
Thank you so so very much Derek! Loved your answer (especially because you actually experienced living in Denver!!!).
When you talked about housing, do you mean when you are trying to buy a house or when you are just looking to rent a tiny 1 bedroom apt? I will be searching on craigslist and other websites for 1 bedroom apt rentals.

He works in a Record store now and on the side he writes (fiction) and paints.
Yeah it's not really easy to get paid for what he does in any city in the world!

But I can definitely move with my job. I just want to have an idea on how much it will cost me for the apt and monthly charges (electric, water,...) before we make a move.

I spent my childhood years in the south of France and I know for sure that on the long term I need to live in a city that has that Mediterranean feel. So, harsh weather matters very very much to me.

Thank you again!!!
Great comments from the others. I am speaking of renting, and yes, prices do vary quite a bit. I would just do a search to get an idea. I haven't checked lately since we've been in our place for ~ 5 years. But we needed a bigger place because of the size of our family. I also agree that most of the areas are fine and I'd probably avoid the boarding section right next to Seaside. The rest of Monterey just feels safer walking around. I haven't actually looked at the crime stats though to compare.

While you may enjoy Denver for a season I think you would eventually want to live in a warmer area year round. So the money you save in rent may not be worth it in the long run. Though I must admit lower cost housing is a nice benefit which allowed us to buy our first home. That was one of the perks for us for sure. It just wasn't enough to keep us there. Based on your work you could actually try both out since your job is flexible in that way. Its nice to have options.

Derek

Old 03-30-2014, 10:53 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
This thread makes me very nostalgic. Lived in Salinas for seven years and Monterey for four. I left due to family issues up here and a desire to actually own a home (which I could never afford in Monterey on a single income). I have the house, but Oroville and Butte County can't compare to the Monterey Peninsula. I'll probably never live there again due to the cost (not going to give up a three bedroom house for a shabby one bedroom condo in Salinas - which is price-wise a fair comparison). At least I'm just four hours away - can always spend a weekend!

Old 04-10-2014, 12:49 PM

Thank you again!!!
I would love to move and I am having a really hard time deciding (I know on the long term, I will end up in Calif).
We'll see what my husband will find (job offers...)
Fingers crossed!!!

Thanks again!!!!!

Old 04-10-2014, 01:06 PM

Thank you SO much! It really helps!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County