Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 09:01 PM

75 posts, read 151,507 times

Advertisements

With all of the talk about the "Alvarado Cafe", I remember it being called the "Cafe de Alvarado" back in the 60's and 70's. Locals who did not speak Spanish would often call it the "Cafe Dee". During the big Urban Renewal remake of Lower Alvarado (when the pool halls and smoke shops were torn down and the Custom House Plaza was created), I remember that it closed down and the building was destroyed. Does anyone know if it ever reopened elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 07:58 PM

47 posts, read 133,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark9272 View Post
With all of the talk about the "Alvarado Cafe", I remember it being called the "Cafe de Alvarado" back in the 60's and 70's. Locals who did not speak Spanish would often call it the "Cafe Dee"
Right on the money. Cafe Dee. Can picture it, pink with an arch facade and the name in script at an upward angle. Was told that the building was a bank before. Found a picture on Bookface:

Old 01-04-2021, 11:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,029 times
Default Monterey

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddo61 View Post
Hi everyone,
I lived in Monterey in 1972-73 as a young child, attending Thomas O Larkin Elementary School as a sixth grader. I lived on Clay Street, and I recall stepping outside at night to see the Hotel San Carlos red neon sign, the planes coming and going from Ft. Ord in the distance, and hearing the barking of the sea lions. There was a seafood restaurant on Fisherman's Wharf that had a very prominent flashing neon sign back then that I could also see quite well, but I can't remember the name. I think the restaurant began with the letter "A". Can anyone help me?

I was in Miss Vallon's class in 1972. She was one of my favorites. I wish I could remember her first name for my memoirs. If anyone else had Miss Vallon, please pass on her name!

One of my favorite memories was the restaurant Capone's Warehouse at Cannery Row. I remember the hilarious menus (not politically correct today!) and the phone booth that you had to walk through to enter the place. Or the candy selection at Dee's Place--the bar near the entrance at the Presidio, where I as a 10-year-old could bring a dollar and take home a bag of candies.

Great memories. I appreciate anyone's help. Also if anyone has a reference to additional information about life in Monterey in the early 1970s I'd love to receive it. Happy Easter to all from a South Carolinian with great memories of boyhood in Monterey.
I lived on Franklin St 1972: went to Thomas O Larkin, and used to go to Dees for candy on the way to school. I was in the 6th grade too and Ms Vallon sounds familiar...

Old 11-14-2021, 04:17 PM

6 posts, read 2,741 times
Seeing all your replies makes me homesick all over again. Lived in Monterey from 66 to 72, what a great time it was. Worked at CHOMP, the hospital on the hill, and loved eating at the Red Pony on the Wharf. Danced at the Mission, even elbowed at the bar with Clint one time.

Old 12-05-2021, 07:15 PM

7,663 posts, read 5,373,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salpointe59 View Post
I was stationed at Ord many times for training.
I had a boyfriend who trained at Ft. Ord. His platoon mates were jealous because his aunt and uncle, nephews and I would drive down and visit him every week with a picnic spread of delicious food. I baked him cookies and his aunt brought along a lot of Japanese treats like teriyaki, inari sushi and maki sushi.

Old 12-06-2021, 01:24 AM

17,608 posts, read 22,512,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I had a boyfriend who trained at Ft. Ord. His platoon mates were jealous because his aunt and uncle, nephews and I would drive down and visit him every week with a picnic spread of delicious food. I baked him cookies and his aunt brought along a lot of Japanese treats like teriyaki, inari sushi and maki sushi.
We lived in Stillwell Park housing area on Bataan Rd, off Gigling Road, when i was going to Monterey High School. I worked at Cypress Motors in the morning & attended school in the afternoon. For some time i also worked at the Commisary & Fort Ord Main Gas Station.

Old 02-17-2022, 02:48 PM

235 posts, read 400,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Pazos View Post
I lived on Franklin St 1972: went to Thomas O Larkin, and used to go to Dees for candy on the way to school. I was in the 6th grade too and Ms Vallon sounds familiar...

Hey Henry! It's Charles Hood. I was only there for one year, but I have fond memories. I lived at 465 Clay Street and loved Ms. Vallon. Wish I knew what became of her.

Old 03-22-2022, 11:57 AM

2 posts, read 2,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRF67 View Post
I was really fortunate--my entire active duty military experience was like an extended fantasy camp!!

That's the way it is when you love what you do. My 20+ years in the Army were very much the same, a long experience where I looked forward to the next day the whole time. I was stationed at Ft Ord twice. First in 1969 for AIT, and then again in 1971 in CDEC, Co F 41st Inf.

Old 06-06-2022, 06:17 PM

1 posts, read 429 times
Default memories of the 70s

I'm afraid I can't help with your search for your teacher at Larkin . My Pop was the chaplain at the Naval Post Graduate School so us kids went to La Mesa . My first stint in Monterey was from 65 to 70, fifth grade to ninth, when my father retired and shipped us all across the country to Washington DC. . After three gruelling years on the East coast I made my tracks back to the place I had fallen in love with and could not imagine living anywhere else. So my second stay was from 73 to 78 , when I finally headed south to LA in searh of work.
Some of my favorite places to eat were the Fat Cat in Pacific Grove , and later also the Crazy Cat . Fisherman's Grotto on the wharf ? They had free complimentary wine at the door while waiting for a table , so my buds and I would go at the busiest time and ask for a window seat and down as much of that jug as we could ! There was a place in New Monterey on Lighthouse called the Beer Springs . A real dive but had a bowl of chili and crackers for , if i remember right , 50 cents. If you were in Carmel , how could you not get a sandwich at the Mediterranean Market right in the center of town. Later , after I turned 21 , Tia Maria's on Cannery Row became a favorite for my pals and I for Happy Hour . They had a free buffet of great Mexican food and 2 for 1 beers so I'm sure they lost money on us - somewhere in one of my photo albumns I have a pic of the group sitting at a table that is completely covered in full beer bottles - Last Call. It was also a good dance place at night along with The Boiler Room across the street . So many good times . I could go on and on .

Old 06-18-2022, 12:06 PM

75 posts, read 151,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddo61 View Post
I sure would like to see some photos of the Del Monte Express, or at least its route through Monterey. I'm sorry to say that I don't recall it, but maybe it stopped operating before I moved there (summer 1972). I do share Hurdy Gurdy Man's amusement of sorts about how land that was essentially ignored near 17 Mile Drive just a generation ago is now million-dollar property. My brother and I used to get on that part of the Drive above High Street in Monterey and ride to our heart's content. Those were the days!
I recall one Xmas the Del Monte Express became the "Santa Train" and took kids from the train station near Fisherman's Wharf down to the Cannery Row area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County