Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 12:56 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,645,510 times

Advertisements

I did not know which section I should put this in, but my (older) teenage kids have never been on a train. For some reason, I did not know this, so I told them I would take them on one before school started back in a few weeks. I love in the north bay area, and I have been on the Skunk train in Mendocino/Fort Bragg before. I loved that one so much, but it was a 4 hour trip! I don't think we want to be on the train for that long and I heard that the Roaring Camp Train in Santa Cruz (the ones that goes thru the redwoods) is a lot shorter ride, but I am wondering anyone here has been on both and which would you recommend?

One thing I loved about the Skunk train was the beautiful, lush green scenery and all the streams and rivers we passed. Does the Roaring Camp train showcase streams and rivers as well?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 01:37 PM

242 posts, read 493,301 times
IMHO, the Roaring Camp Train is more for smaller children and not teenagers. Never been on the Skunk Train.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe View Post
IMHO, the Roaring Camp Train is more for smaller children and not teenagers. Never been on the Skunk Train.
That's what I was afraid of. I asked someone at my job about it who recently went on it without children and he thought that it didn't feel like it was for small kids, so now I'm confused.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:20 PM

479 posts, read 431,651 times
Skunk Train... although I don't know if it's making the full round trip to Willits and back or not.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:12 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,541,306 times
Skunk train is a real train. Whole day adventure.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Skunk train is a real train. Whole day adventure.
Did you find skunk to be a real train because it was an all day adventure or because of some other reasons?

Old 08-09-2014, 10:58 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,607,140 times
I rode the Skunk one way, returned on a steam engine. The Skunk is a diesel bus conversion with history. The steam engine has open box cars that really let the views come alive. You can have a two part adventure for the price of one with the Skunk run.
On the Skunk run you can bring and drink alcohol as it is a state park. They have a village half way that they even sell drinks.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:25 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,042,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
That's what I was afraid of. I asked someone at my job about it who recently went on it without children and he thought that it didn't feel like it was for small kids, so now I'm confused.
The Roaring Camp train uses real, restored steam engines on their train (not a narrow "baby train" like you find in Vasona Park/Los Gatos). Why anyone would call it a "kid's train" is beyond me. It's been years and years since I took the train, but there used to be two 'routes' : one thru the redwoods only that lasted about an hour, and one that brought you to Santa Cruz near the boardwalk. I'd call either route a fun outing for people of all ages. http://www.roaringcamp.com/

I notice that your 'location' says Bay Area. There is also a 'restored historical' train in the hills above Fremont : Niles Canyon Railway. I've never been as (i think) it started service after my kids were grown and moved out. They have both steam and diesel engines. You can find info on their web site : Home - Niles Canyon Railway

There's also 'baby trains' (really for younger kids) in Vasona Park (Los Gatos - Billy Jones Wildcat Railroad and W.E. "Bill" Mason Carousel — Billy Jones Wildcat Railroad and W.E. "Bill" Mason Carousel) and Tilden Park (Oakland/Berkeley hills - Redwood Valley Railway ).

Old 08-11-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
The Roaring Camp train uses real, restored steam engines on their train (not a narrow "baby train" like you find in Vasona Park/Los Gatos). Why anyone would call it a "kid's train" is beyond me. It's been years and years since I took the train, but there used to be two 'routes' : one thru the redwoods only that lasted about an hour, and one that brought you to Santa Cruz near the boardwalk. I'd call either route a fun outing for people of all ages. Roaring Camp Railroads | Felton, CA | Santa Cruz County

I notice that your 'location' says Bay Area. There is also a 'restored historical' train in the hills above Fremont : Niles Canyon Railway. I've never been as (i think) it started service after my kids were grown and moved out. They have both steam and diesel engines. You can find info on their web site : Home - Niles Canyon Railway

There's also 'baby trains' (really for younger kids) in Vasona Park (Los Gatos - Billy Jones Wildcat Railroad and W.E. "Bill" Mason Carousel — Billy Jones Wildcat Railroad and W.E. "Bill" Mason Carousel) and Tilden Park (Oakland/Berkeley hills - Redwood Valley Railway ).
Thank you so much. This was very helpful. My kids want more of an adult train experience but not as long as Skunk.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:20 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,042,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Thank you so much. This was very helpful. My kids want more of an adult train experience but not as long as Skunk.
I didn't provide info on two other possibilities in the bay area, because I'm not quite sure what you mean by "an adult train experience" (my "adult train experience" would involve Scarlett Johansson or Jessica Alba, and lots of champagne ...).

The two "real" trains that I mentioned earlier (Roaring Camp and Niles Canyon) are restored, historical trains. Depending on where you live, you could also take either CalTrain (to go up or down the peninsula) or Amtrak (up/down the east bay). These are actual, current train routes that run just about every day - but they use diesel, not steam, engines. This could be a fun outing for you and the kids - "hey, let's visit Aunt Sue in Martinez, AND TAKE THE TRAIN TO GET THERE". Or "let's head up to see a Giants game - AND TAKE THE TRAIN". Or take the train to visit Stanford, which is a fun afternoon outing in itself (Stanford has some great architecture, a great view of the south bay from Hoover tower, a collection of Rodin bronzes, and almost 100 pieces of outdoor art). They might get a kick out of using the train as an actual mode of transportation instead of just a fun ride. Both CalTrain and Amtrak load passengers in San Jose (Diridon station).

CalTrain Schedules

Train & Bus Tickets - Amtrak

(Amtrak is VERY expensive, IMHO. I'd use CalTrain. A single adult round-trip from SJ to Sac is $80 on Amtrak - a round trip from SJ to SF is $18 on CalTrain.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County