Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 03:05 AM

10 posts, read 19,631 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! Hope everyone enjoyed the summer!!!

So I am wanting to plant some flower seeds out front, and I am wondering if it's too late in the year for that. Due to the drought I'm looking for something that can hopefully grow with just a smudge of water, but still add some color to my little bit of landscape. If anyone has any ideas, or tips to share, I would love to hear it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 03:41 AM

840 posts, read 772,320 times
The USDA Gardening Zone you live in will determine --to a large degree-- which plants are most suitable for your area.

All seeds need at least some water to germinate, and it takes *time* for seeds to grow into plants that can flower, which requires at least *some* regular water, even if in minimal amounts.

To get flowers quick, you'd need to plant at least somewhat established plants.

"...California native plants, other Mediterranean climate plants and succulent plants all are drought-tolerant plants that can be found in most retail nurseries and mail order catalogs of garden plants. Gardeners who wish to conserve water in the landscape should become familiar with this category of plants...."

This website has information about how to improve your gardening area,
as well as where to look for more information about plants for your area, and sources to purchase them from:

"Use Drought Tolerant Plants"
http://www.santacruz.watersavingplan...ughtPlants.php

I know what you're going through! I'm pulling out the few water-loving plants I have, to re-home with whoever wants them --if anyone does-- as current drought *seriously* affects the area I live in.

The vines I see flowering right now in my area are the Violet Trumpet Vine, and, the Pink Trumpet Vine. They do take some water, though, especially in summer. (Some people continue watering water needy plants, no matter what.) In some areas each might be a mistake to plant, though . . . . I've read that especially the Pink one can spread very easily & be nearly impossible to eradicate! However, if left to dry out, I think it might succumb. So . . .

Check out "Tecoma Stans," which is a drought tolerant bush whose flowers support Hummingbirds (but, whose pollen makes poisonous honey, in case you have bees & eat their honey):

"Tecoma stans"
http://www.theplantencyclopedia.org/wiki/Tecoma_stans

"..."Tecoma stans grows best in full sunlight in disturbed areas such as roadsides" (Swarbrick, 1997; p. 72). "Ginger-thomas [one variety of it] does not tolerate heavy frost. However, it will grow in most well-drained soils, including calcareous fill, infertile sands, acidic Ultisols, and volcanic regolith in areas receiving *from 700 to 1800 mm of rainfall.* The species is described as a water spender that is *able to convert to a water saver* (Tipton 1994). It *requires minimal competition and nearly full sunlight* to survive (shade intolerant). Roadsides and disturbed areas are the most common habitats...." http://www.hear.org/pier/species/tecoma_stans.htm

That^ site is specifically geared for the *Pacific Island Ecosystems at Risk (PIER)* . . .
so . . . take that into consideration, for what it's worth.

I have some 'Desert Bird of Paradise' bushes that are highly xeriscapable, but even they produce much fewer flowers on less water . . . Not sure if it's hot enough in your area for them to thrive, but you can look into it . . .

"... In fact it seems to thrive better without regular water which is always a plus...The Desert Bird-of-Paradise is *adaptable in a wide number of SUNSET {not the same as USDA) planting zones including 8-16,18-23* so when you think about it there is really no reason not to give them a try. ...Keep in mind that the Desert Bird-of-Paradise, Caesalpinia gilliesii is not the same as either the Mexican Bird-of-Paradise (Caesalpinia Mexicana) or the Red Bird-of-Paradise (Caesalpinia pulcherrima), both of [which] are less cold hardy than the Desert Bird-of-Paradise." is a quote from > http://www.examiner.com/article/the-...rd-of-paradise

I planted mine years ago from seed, and they grew reasonably fast with regular water, flowering maybe their first year but at the expense of growth, and not prolifically. Your 'best bet' are probably the *Native* Flowering Plants encouraged by the first website I posted above.

Last edited by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp; 09-07-2014 at 03:50 AM..

Old 09-14-2014, 06:20 PM

10 posts, read 19,631 times
I apologize that it's taken me so long to respond, I've had a very busy week. Thank you south for this wealth of information! You've given me so much to go on, and I'm really looking forward to using this to get started with some planting. Again, thank you. You really went above and beyond with all of these resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County