Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 12:52 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,734,844 times

Advertisements

It sounds like none of you folks recommend Cannery Row as a destination these days. Is it still worth going to ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 02:13 PM

19 posts, read 19,816 times
I returned to Cannery Row in 2007 for the first time since I left Monterey in 1975 and I found it extremely disappointing. It is nothing more than a tourist attraction with none of the charm that it formerly had. There were no really good restaurants to be found and I was unable to discover any place that offered decent entertainment. A couple of friends who visited last year informed me that nothing has changed since my last visit and that the place is just a shell of its former self.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:31 PM

464 posts, read 286,524 times
"Cannery Row," I read the book and the follow-up, "Sweet Thursday."

I've only been through "Steinbeck Country" a few times, but would love to spend some time there.

Sorry, didn't mean to go OT, but I'm reading the thread and wanted to chip in too, and I've been reading about it ever since Steinbeck referred to his beloved Salinas Valley.

Thx

Old 06-22-2019, 08:10 PM

47 posts, read 135,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thx-1138 View Post
"Cannery Row," I read the book and the follow-up, "Sweet Thursday."

I've only been through "Steinbeck Country" a few times, but would love to spend some time there.

Sorry, didn't mean to go OT, but I'm reading the thread and wanted to chip in too, and I've been reading about it ever since Steinbeck referred to his beloved Salinas Valley.

Thx
I started reading Steinbeck in high school by surprise. Needed English credits to graduate so I signed up for Western Literature thinking I could get credit for reading Louis L'Amour paperbacks. Whoops, not that western. Tortilla Flat is my favorite, because people I knew reminded me of many of the characters in the book.

Back OT. The Row has changed from being an Old Fishermans Wharf Outpost to it's own crowded mess. Say I have relatives from Arkansas visiting and they want to go. I get sandwiches from Compagno's and we picnic at San Carlos Beach. Walk the trail to Fish Prison. Spend a few hours there. On the way back it's some of the gift shops this side of Prescott and back to the trail. Even when being hospitable I stay far from the section from Prescott to Drake. Visit the Doc Ricketts statue then GTFO.

If it's tshirts they want, we go to the wharf. Some kin take 3x and up and they are more plentiful there.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,270 times
Yes, her name was Barbara (she was called Bobby) Kelly. She was preceded by a singer named Ruth Crews. I was at DLI (Defense Language Institute) studying Korean in Monterey in the late 1960’s, and I worked part-time as a bartender at the Warehouse and at Flora’s. I loved it there. The owner’s name was Dick O’Kane, and his wife (whose name I am temporarily blanking on) also worked in the Warehouse wearing an “Untouchable” shirt. It was a raucous and fun place. If you have any more questions, you can email me at [email]lbags@aol.com[/email].

Old 06-27-2019, 03:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,270 times
I remember when she worked at the Warehouse she was married to a guy name Marty, who also served as her manager.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:45 AM

19 posts, read 19,816 times
Default Barbara Kelly

According to the report in the October 23, 1977 edition of the Santa Cruz Sentinel, she was married to Michael Simeone at the time of her death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassithi View Post
I remember when she worked at the Warehouse she was married to a guy name Marty, who also served as her manager.

Old 03-17-2024, 11:54 PM

1 posts, read 52 times
Default Capone's Warehouse , Cannery Row

Hello, yes I'm searching for info as well. My grandmother worked there.. Her name was Connie.
I'm trying to find out around what year a picture was. And any other info if anyone has .
I was gonna post the picture but can't seem to post here?
It's a picture of waitress with The Untouchables shirts on.. the back drop is... Capones Warehouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County