Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2015, 02:53 PM

3 posts, read 8,997 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I am new to the forums and have an interesting dilemma. My husband and I are about to move into a beautiful rental home in the Skyline Forest area of Monterey. We have recently been reading online about homelessness/drug/crime issues/homeless using the sidewalks to go to the bathroom, etc. in the area, but had never heard of such things before? We always saw Monterey as a really safe upscale coastal town? We went to get a Peets coffee the other day and did see kind of a rough crowd down by the transit building, but nothing horrible. But when I yelped Veterans Park because it would be near my new home, I read that Veterans Park has become somewhat of an internment camp for homeless people and transients, I got a little disturbed. Then, reading the news, they said recently that they found a body there(I am assuming a homeless person?) I am just wondering from anyone who lives in Monterey, is this as bad as I am reading about? Area vibes gave Monterey a D+ grade for crime. I really love Pacific Grove and like Carmel. Should I move to a house in one of these two towns instead of Monterey? Or is all of this overblown and Monterey is as perfectly safe as it seems?

Last edited by lightburden; 06-16-2015 at 03:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 10:47 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightburden View Post
Hi All,
I am new to the forums and have an interesting dilemma. My husband and I are about to move into a beautiful rental home in the Skyline Forest area of Monterey. We have recently been reading online about homelessness/drug/crime issues/homeless using the sidewalks to go to the bathroom, etc. in the area, but had never heard of such things before? We always saw Monterey as a really safe upscale coastal town? We went to get a Peets coffee the other day and did see kind of a rough crowd down by the transit building, but nothing horrible. But when I yelped Veterans Park because it would be near my new home, I read that Veterans Park has become somewhat of an internment camp for homeless people and transients, I got a little disturbed. Then, reading the news, they said recently that they found a body there(I am assuming a homeless person?) I am just wondering from anyone who lives in Monterey, is this as bad as I am reading about? Area vibes gave Monterey a D+ grade for crime. I really love Pacific Grove and like Carmel. Should I move to a house in one of these two towns instead of Monterey? Or is all of this overblown and Monterey is as perfectly safe as it seems?
First of all, you have to take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt. This is especially true when someone has an ax to grind over homelessness, too many illegals, <fill in the blank>.

We've lived in the area for seven years with young kids and never had problems with homeless people. Sure, they are there, just like in most cities. But its nothing to over-react to. Regarding veterans park itself, we've only visited it a few times during the day with kids, and again it was fine. Now, at night there may be more sleeping around the park on benches, etc... I wouldn't go too far afield with that line of thinking, however, and assume they have somehow overrun the city or anything that dramatic. If you really dislike homeless ppl, period, then its hard to find any place without some degree of them there. They certainly don't overrun Monterey or anything that crazy. I think its more much ado about nothing than anything, IMO.

Derek

Old 06-16-2015, 11:26 PM

Thanks so much for responding, Derek. That's what it seemed like to me when I have been out and about in Monterey. That's why what I was reading online didn't seem to be matching up with the reality I was seeing around me. Because I am not too familiar with Monterey proper, unfortunately getting info online and in the news has been my only way to get the lay of the land. I have no problem with homeless people. It's more crime and lots of drug use that had me concerned.

Thanks again,
Denise

Old 06-18-2015, 09:09 PM

70 posts, read 149,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightburden View Post
Thanks so much for responding, Derek. That's what it seemed like to me when I have been out and about in Monterey. That's why what I was reading online didn't seem to be matching up with the reality I was seeing around me. Because I am not too familiar with Monterey proper, unfortunately getting info online and in the news has been my only way to get the lay of the land. I have no problem with homeless people. It's more crime and lots of drug use that had me concerned.

Thanks again,
Denise
The only part of Monterey that is not the nicest is the Transit Plaza. It's mostly harmless, but still a little grungy. You might get panhandled there but that's pretty much it.

Veterans Park has a few transient homeless from time to time, but it also has a strong camping vibe and family area - I've never felt scared there.

East Monterey (east of 1) is also not the greatest as it blends into Seaside. Still, not much to worry about and no reason to be there at night anyways.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:34 PM

Thanks, Transitory. That helps a lot. That's good to know about Veterans Park because it did look really pretty when we drove through it and our house is pretty close. We were hoping to walk our dogs there often. Good to know about East Monterey, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County