Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 11:14 PM

215 posts, read 566,416 times

Advertisements

Well, I made it here!! And have been looking at areas and houses with a Realtor friend of a good friend who knows the area well.
We've mainly focused on Corralitos and then Aptos as it has some properties just about in our price range with the land we'd like. In fact we are seriously considering one in Aptos (although we are not in great situation, need to sell house but seller open to contingent offer). So, any extra insight into Aptos would be great, anywhere to avoid? It's not far from where a new shopping development is planned, where a New Leaf will be the anchor store, I guess that's a good thing...
I feel now that I want to be as close to the ocean as possible, with a few acres, but still near amenities and was suprised to find a few properties that fit that. (although the bus stop being walking distance is an issue, but Uber it may be...) and that we would be allowed to build an ADU (for my mum).
thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 10:34 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,723,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukes View Post
Well, I made it here!! And have been looking at areas and houses with a Realtor friend of a good friend who knows the area well.
We've mainly focused on Corralitos and then Aptos as it has some properties just about in our price range with the land we'd like. In fact we are seriously considering one in Aptos (although we are not in great situation, need to sell house but seller open to contingent offer). So, any extra insight into Aptos would be great, anywhere to avoid? It's not far from where a new shopping development is planned, where a New Leaf will be the anchor store, I guess that's a good thing...
I feel now that I want to be as close to the ocean as possible, with a few acres, but still near amenities and was suprised to find a few properties that fit that. (although the bus stop being walking distance is an issue, but Uber it may be...) and that we would be allowed to build an ADU (for my mum).
thx!
Hey, i remember you. Welcome!
Well, you might not want to be too close to the freeway.
And much of Aptos is very foggy. Are you there now? Did you see how thick the fog is this afternoon / evening. I love the fog (although they've discovered low levels of mercury in it but apparently not harmful and yet i haven't researched the possibility of cumulative effect) but not everyone does. There are places in Aptos that don't get the consistent and heavy fog. Did you find an honest realtor? I hope so because he/she needs to be very honest about the fog if it's a concern for you.

Aptos has become increasingly more congested over the years. It used to be sleepy during the day. No traffic to speak of. Now, more and more commuters have discovered it and it's just a drag now especially during commuter times. But that's another issue.

I have to get off-line now as my lap-top battery is about done.
Any specific questions, ask away. Back tomorrow. Again, welcome.

Old 07-30-2016, 01:13 PM

Are you sure you don't want to rent for awhile before you buy? This is somewhat chaotic county and it's an area of many micro-climates and very diverse living situations / opportunities and in a place that is going through a lot of changes in that the county is becoming ever more impacted and housing prices seem to be rising again (that's what i heard recently anyway). I suppose that's a good thing if you have the money to spend while prices are on the rise? I don't know .... not my forte.

Is it a good thing that Aptos is planning on this development (New Leaf included)? Well, i sure don't think so. Like i said in my previous post, not too long ago Aptos was a sleepy place during the day time. Now it's insanely congested (especially during commuter times) and will become more so. The decision to bring these developments into Aptos is an upsetting thing for many who want to try and retain the spirit of the place. Too late for that actually but i wish they'd stop with the darn development given the community and the county as a whole is "bursting at the seams". Not to mention the use of water and other environmental impacts. And New Leaf already has about 7 stores in the county and beyond.

It will take you some time to really get a sense of things and buying before you're truly aware of where you are and what's going on seems risky and imo a bit foolish but that's just my perception. No disrespect intended. You might find after a year that you'd rather be in Monterey county or in a different part of California entirely.

I don't know what an ADU is but if it's a separate living unit do be aware of the rather intense zoning laws in the county.

If you can find a property with acreage close to the ocean you're fortunate. If you are looking at properties that are near farm lands that are not organic, consider the issue of pesticides, et al if that's a concern for you. It would be for me.
Many of the properties in the areas above the post office in Aptos are great. The farther "up" you go, the better in my opinion and generally speaking.
I like much of Corralitas and if you can find a property that's not too far from Freedom Blvd., ie; the bus line, that would be great. I prefer not to be in the thick of things and to be a bit removed from the "madding crowd". You might wish the same after a year of dealing with the congestion but maybe that's not a concern for you.

Also, there are many properties in Aptos that are in the woods to some degree or other. You're looking in the summer time at these properties and they can be lovely and even magical and seductive but remember, winter will come and the sun will get lower and lower and if you don't want to live in darkness for quite a few months in the winter, be aware. Your realtor should know the land enough so that he/she can let you know how shades things will be in the winter months.

So i realize that you may want to buy in order to "establish" yourself but jeez, again i'd rent first for a time.

Those are my thoughts. Good luck!

Old 07-31-2016, 09:59 PM

You're welcome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County