Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 07:26 PM

25 posts, read 47,039 times

Advertisements

Sounds like paradise to me! 12 miles to a town sounds plenty good enough! Have you heard much about Morro Bay High School? My daughter will be a Senior next school year and I want to find her a good school. I have a middle schooler who will be in 8th grade (Los Osos Middle?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 08:16 PM

21,565 posts, read 16,072,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweetie123 View Post
Sounds like paradise to me! 12 miles to a town sounds plenty good enough! Have you heard much about Morro Bay High School? My daughter will be a Senior next school year and I want to find her a good school. I have a middle schooler who will be in 8th grade (Los Osos Middle?).
It's paradise for me for sure.

I know nothing about the schools however. Sorry.

Btw, since you mention Los Osos school, that is also a very nice town. And quite a bit more affordable.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:08 AM

2,266 posts, read 7,300,663 times
You better like fog and cooler temperatures if you're considering Morro Bay and Los Osos. Also, the commute will be hell to Hunter-Liggett. You really need to stick to Paso Robles, Templeton, or Atascadero. Paso does have some bad areas, mainly north of 24th Street. There are really nice family-friendly subdivisions on the east side of the river and all are close to schools and shopping.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
You better like fog and cooler temperatures if you're considering Morro Bay and Los Osos. Also, the commute will be hell to Hunter-Liggett. You really need to stick to Paso Robles, Templeton, or Atascadero. Paso does have some bad areas, mainly north of 24th Street. There are really nice family-friendly subdivisions on the east side of the river and all are close to schools and shopping.
Truth here in respects. But tastes vary. There is fog - mostly in summer - which, admittedly, is when most folks enjoy some hot weather. Morro / Osos are rarely "hot". Then again, that's why people from Paso and Atascadero, and even SLO itself drive to Morro to cool off .

OP, you should look at the weather averages charts and note that Morro stays in the mid - low 60's ALL year long, even summer. Be sure you're good with that, of course. That said, once again, personal tastes vary. Personally, sunshine in the low to mid-60's is great for me. Breezes do get up most afternoons there though. And, though the fog tends to burn off mid-day, when the fog lingers and the breezes are 15+ knots off the water, that can get to the bone.

But, time for another "then again": it's only less than 10 minutes about to sunshine out of the fog in San Luis.

Meh. I love it.

Commute: Hell? Um, if the distance / time (about 75 miles, hour and a half each way) is not in your husband's personality to endure, then yes, could be hell for sure. But there's no traffic issues. It's just plain a long ways out.

Don't know how you are as a family with husband / father not coming home every night. If it were me, young again (I'm retired from active military reserve, by the way - two tour Vietnam vet), I'd set up a little trailer at Liggett's campground (or Camp Roberts', which has a little rv park and is about 1/2 way to Morro), and stay over a couple nights a week to cut back on the drive times. The Liggett campground is a neat, primitive spot I particularly enjoy. Rarely anyone there except in hunting season. And I like primitive and Q.U.I.E.T. (Did I mention I like Quiet before ) And he'd have the base facilities to use for showers. (The Camp Roberts rv park is a zero interest place, btw. Right along the 101 highway fence line and just an old, open converted parking lot. Not a tree or bush in sight between you and other rv's or highway or anything else. Liggett campground is in a delightful grove of trees scattered about but still allowing filtered sunshine through.)

Old 04-26-2016, 11:53 AM

102,063 posts, read 106,870,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Truth here in respects. But tastes vary. There is fog - mostly in summer - which, admittedly, is when most folks enjoy some hot weather. Morro / Osos are rarely "hot". Then again, that's why people from Paso and Atascadero, and even SLO itself drive to Morro to cool off .

OP, you should look at the weather averages charts and note that Morro stays in the mid - low 60's ALL year long, even summer. Be sure you're good with that, of course. That said, once again, personal tastes vary. Personally, sunshine in the low to mid-60's is great for me. Breezes do get up most afternoons there though. And though the fog tends to burn off mid-day, when the fog lingers and the breezes are 15+ knots off the water, that can get to the bone.

But, time for another "then again": it's only less than 10 minutes about to sunshine out of the fog in San Luis.

Meh. I love it.

Commute: Hell? Um, if the distance / time (about 75 miles, hour and a half each way) is not in your husband's personality to endure, then yes, could be hell for sure. But there's no traffic issues. It's just plain a long ways out.

Don't know how you are as a family with husband / father not coming home every night. If it were me, young again (I'm retired from active military reserve, by the way - two tour Vietnam vet), I'd set up a little trailer at Liggett's campground (or Camp Robert's, which has a little rv park and is about 1/2 way to Morro), and stay over a couple nights a week to cut back on the drive times. The Liggett campground is a neat, primitive spot I particularly enjoy. Rarely anyone there except in hunting season. And I like primitive and Q.U.I.E.T. (Did I mention I like Quiet before ) And he'd have the base facilities to use for showers. (The Camp Roberts rv park is a zero interest place, btw. Right along the 101 highway fence line and just an old, open converted parking lot. Not a tree or bush insight between you and other rv's or highway or anything else. Liggett campground is in a delightful grove of trees scattered about but still allowing filtered sunshine through.)
This sounds like heaven! I've gotta check this place out! Thanks, 'mutt. Sounds like a well-kept secret.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:00 PM

2,266 posts, read 7,300,663 times
Tulemutt, I respect your opinion and agree with most of it. I go to Morro Bay often and love it there, but I am answering the OP's question based on her and her family's needs. This is a couple with school-aged children. She wants activities, WalMart, shopping, subdivision, etc. In my opinion, those things are going to be easier to attain in Paso/Templeton/Atascadero. And the commute will be up Hwy 41 to Atascadero and then the 101 to Hunter. Usually there aren't traffic issues but things are changing around here quickly. In the past two years we have seen a big increase in traffic, and when there's a rock slide or accident on 41 they shut it down until clear. It just makes more sense to live closer to the base. The only thing the OP will not find here is many African-Americans. And trust me, they will not find inland unbearably hot in the summer. I grew up in the South and the humidity is what makes heat unbearable. The heat here is nothing!

Again, I really respect your opinion and I agree that Morro is a great little town. But, I honestly think it's better for retirees, like us.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Tulemutt, I respect your opinion and agree with most of it. I go to Morro Bay often and love it there, but I am answering the OP's question based on her and her family's needs. This is a couple with school-aged children. She wants activities, WalMart, shopping, subdivision, etc. In my opinion, those things are going to be easier to attain in Paso/Templeton/Atascadero. And the commute will be up Hwy 41 to Atascadero and then the 101 to Hunter. Usually there aren't traffic issues but things are changing around here quickly. In the past two years we have seen a big increase in traffic, and when there's a rock slide or accident on 41 they shut it down until clear. It just makes more sense to live closer to the base. The only thing the OP will not find here is many African-Americans. And trust me, they will not find inland unbearably hot in the summer. I grew up in the South and the humidity is what makes heat unbearable. The heat here is nothing!

Again, I really respect your opinion and I agree that Morro is a great little town. But, I honestly think it's better for retirees, like us.
I do agree. And stated so in previous posts.

I mentioned the teenage disconnect specifically, as well.

My post was no attempt to convince. Just answering questions she put forth. And I certainly haven't held back on characterizing Morro Bay as Q.U.I.E.T.

The Hwy 41 thing? Well, yes. But again to be fair in full disclosure, I typically go past from the north and take the slightly longer way of coming back up Hwy 1 from SLO. Difference is minutes and never a problem.

Here's to retirement!

Old 05-01-2016, 04:48 PM

25 posts, read 47,039 times
Quote:

Are you familiar with this area of Paso; Kleck Road or Via Manzanita Court? I'm not sure where they are located in conjunction with the north part of 24th Street.

Thanks for the information!

Old 07-03-2016, 06:29 PM

215 posts, read 973,816 times
Morro Bay or Cayucos hands down!

Old 02-24-2021, 04:39 PM

206 posts, read 570,629 times
Hello
I know this is an old thread - but we are looking at homes in Paso Robles, have recently seen some nice things in Templeton and Atascadero - Would love to hear people's thoughts. The market is much higher than when this thread started!! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County