Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 08:50 PM

25 posts, read 47,919 times

Advertisements

Military Family Relocating to San Luis Obispo County in June 2016

Needs: **decent commute to Fort Hunter Liggett (within 60-70 miles)
*Good/safe high school (Senior) & middle school (8th grader) (welcoming diversity - African American family)
*children are in sports (track/bball)
*w/in at least 30 min of a mall and other forms of entertainment for kids (bowling, skating, etc...)
*Great, family oriented neighborhoods (right now we live in a cul-de-sac with lots of school aged kids and we love it)
*We've heard about the heat in the Paso Robles area and this is not an issue for us as we are from the South and have dealt with sweltering temps AND on top of that, the good ole southern humidity! Coming from IL where we just ended winter and still feeling temps in the 40's for lows, the heat will be a nice change! Lol!
*house rental w/in a $2200 mthly budget for rent

Areas we're looking at:
Paso Robles
Atascadero
Templeton

Anyone have any helpful information on these 3 areas w/in our needs list? Are these areas close to malls, WalMart, grocery stores, major department stores, etc...

*I am a Special Educator with over 16 years of experience in the field of Emotional/Behavior Disorders and will be looking for employment (elementary) preferably in the same school system as my kids.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 09:59 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
Saw your thread here too and thought you might need this for job searching for teaching positions in CA. Hopefully, the link will work. If not, once on edjoin.org, go to the advanced search where you can fill in the sped position, state, and county.
In CA, Special Day Class is sort of the more intensive "resource" class; not to be confused with SH (severely handicapped).

https://www.edjoin.org/Home/Jobs?key...lineApps=false

You'll get a feel for these towns as soon as you come out here. They're a quick study.
I think you'll do fine in any of them.
Paso has a beautiful central plaza (town square) and is an attractive town.
I'm not as big a fan of Atascadero, but there's nothing seriously wrong with it.
Templeton is a nice "town", with not a lot going on. Trader Joe's is right there though on the other side of the freeway. Add a decent fish restaurant in the same shopping area and life is good. Great drive down to the coast from all locations.

Last edited by Snort; 04-16-2016 at 10:08 PM..

Old 04-16-2016, 10:33 PM

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Saw your thread here too and thought you might need this for job searching for teaching positions in CA. Hopefully, the link will work. If not, once on edjoin.org, go to the advanced search where you can fill in the sped position, state, and county.
In CA, Special Day Class is sort of the more intensive "resource" class; not to be confused with SH (severely handicapped).

https://www.edjoin.org/Home/Jobs?key...lineApps=false

You'll get a feel for these towns as soon as you come out here. They're a quick study.
I think you'll do fine in any of them.
Paso has a beautiful central plaza (town square) and is an attractive town.
I'm not as big a fan of Atascadero, but there's nothing seriously wrong with it.
Templeton is a nice "town", with not a lot going on. Trader Joe's is right there though on the other side of the freeway. Add a decent fish restaurant in the same shopping area and life is good. Great drive down to the coast from all locations.
Thank you so much for your response!

Old 04-16-2016, 11:48 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweetie123 View Post
(welcoming diversity - African American family)
Don't think you'll have any problems. Different mindset. However, prepare yourself for SLO County's statistics, per US Census:

White and Hispanic: 89%
Asian: 3.8%
Black: 2.2%

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/ta...45215/06079,00

Old 04-17-2016, 11:07 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,880 times
For shopping you will find WalMart, Target, Kohl's, TJMaxx, etc., but no big department stores and no malls. It's easy to go to San Luis Obispo for Gap, Pottery Barn, etc. No mall there either but the stores are located downtown for easy access. Not to mention, it's a beautiful city.

Atascadero has a reputation for being not so nice, but honestly there are some gorgeous homes there with killer views, and usually better prices. Lots of retirees moving there from the LA/Bay areas. All of these places are within 20 minutes of each other so you'll be doing your shopping, etc. in all of them.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
For shopping you will find WalMart, Target, Kohl's, TJMaxx, etc., but no big department stores and no malls. It's easy to go to San Luis Obispo for Gap, Pottery Barn, etc. No mall there either but the stores are located downtown for easy access. Not to mention, it's a beautiful city.

Atascadero has a reputation for being not so nice, but honestly there are some gorgeous homes there with killer views, and usually better prices. Lots of retirees moving there from the LA/Bay areas. All of these places are within 20 minutes of each other so you'll be doing your shopping, etc. in all of them.
Thanks! Very helpful! I am really not a mall lover but how far is the nearest mall?

Old 04-17-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Very helpful! I am really not a mall lover but how far is the nearest mall?
Closest one to us is Santa Maria, but it totally sucks. When we need a fix we just take a day trip to Santa Barbara.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Closest one to us is Santa Maria, but it totally sucks. When we need a fix we just take a day trip to Santa Barbara.
Ok, we live 5 minutes from a huge outlet mall now and I RARELY go!

Old 04-17-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Ok, we live 5 minutes from a huge outlet mall now and I RARELY go!
It is so beautiful here and the weather is just awesome. Haven't missed shopping at all! Wait until you go to the farmer's markets and see the produce. Just beautiful. The best market is on Saturdays in Templeton.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
It is so beautiful here and the weather is just awesome. Haven't missed shopping at all! Wait until you go to the farmer's markets and see the produce. Just beautiful. The best market is on Saturdays in Templeton.
I was very apprehensive at 1st but I am beginning to get excited! My husband and I both grew up in rural areas of Alabama and love simple living. My kids (13 & 17) on the other hand, enjoy living in the city. So as long as we can get to the beaches and do some kid friendly things, they'll be fine! They enjoy their school sports as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County