Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 04:54 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,740,991 times

Advertisements

Learnme your post is almost impossible to read (paragraphs are a good thing ). But i got the gist.
And i stand by what i said. Experiencing the downfall of ones community is not fun. I've lived here for a long time and the county has gotten progressively more impacted and there is an aggression and attitude here now that has never been. It's quite obnoxious and i wish that the Silicon Valley people would either stay on the other side of the hill or at least leave their attitude there.
Since the earthquake most of the changes are certainly not for the better imo.
The reason i am still here is that i still love it enough to put of with what's happening but sadly, not for long. The last few years (and particularly this last year) the negative impact of the people who want to work in S.V. and live here is glaring. Most of my "ilk" have left. There are very few true hippies / alternatively oriented people left in the county. If i didn't live in 40 year old trailer in the woods and semi off grid there's no way that i'd be able to afford living here. It wasn't always like that.
Sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 11:30 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
Learnme your post is almost impossible to read (paragraphs are a good thing ). But i got the gist.
And i stand by what i said. Experiencing the downfall of ones community is not fun. I've lived here for a long time and the county has gotten progressively more impacted and there is an aggression and attitude here now that has never been. It's quite obnoxious and i wish that the Silicon Valley people would either stay on the other side of the hill or at least leave their attitude there.
Since the earthquake most of the changes are certainly not for the better imo.
The reason i am still here is that i still love it enough to put of with what's happening but sadly, not for long. The last few years (and particularly this last year) the negative impact of the people who want to work in S.V. and live here is glaring. Most of my "ilk" have left. There are very few true hippies / alternatively oriented people left in the county. If i didn't live in 40 year old trailer in the woods and semi off grid there's no way that i'd be able to afford living here. It wasn't always like that.
Sigh.
I usually don't write one LONG paragraph like that, but my thoughts and writing at that time just came out that way for reasons I can't explain or remember. Not sure what is so hard to read either way, but duly noted. Another complaint...

Your mention of the trailer in the woods reminds me that we have crossed paths before, right?

Again, I understand, because if being surrounded with "alternatively oriented people" is a big part of what brings you happiness (free and commune like), then no doubt those days (and people) are not around like before. From a simple pragmatic standpoint, I also understand the challenge of affordability and how that can surely sour one's perspective, but affordability is a function of revenue as well as cost. If that equation is out of balance such that costs exceed available funds, then of course unhappiness is likely to follow. Or you go where that equation can be better balanced, like where the cost of living is lower. Good luck either way, but I too maintain the quality of life here is better than anywhere else, for me, given the way I like to live, costly though it may be around here. Fair?

Too long a paragraph again perhaps?

Old 09-10-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I usually don't write one LONG paragraph like that, but my thoughts and writing at that time just came out that way for reasons I can't explain or remember. Not sure what is so hard to read either way, but duly noted. Another complaint...

Your mention of the trailer in the woods reminds me that we have crossed paths before, right?

Again, I understand, because if being surrounded with "alternatively oriented people" is a big part of what brings you happiness (free and commune like), then no doubt those days (and people) are not around like before. From a simple pragmatic standpoint, I also understand the challenge of affordability and how that can surely sour one's perspective, but affordability is a function of revenue as well as cost. If that equation is out of balance such that costs exceed available funds, then of course unhappiness is likely to follow. Or you go where that equation can be better balanced, like where the cost of living is lower. Good luck either way, but I too maintain the quality of life here is better than anywhere else, for me, given the way I like to live, costly though it may be around here. Fair?

Too long a paragraph again perhaps?
Totally fair. And i understand your appreciation for the quality of life here. But for me, that's one of the things that has been quite compromised because there are just too many people in the county now. Just as an example, going to Aptos in the middle of a week day used to be an enjoyable breeze. Empty, quiet, etc. Now Soquel Drive is so impacted and Aptos so overrun that it's an absolute drag. And it's not just the amount of traffic .... it's the aggressive / obnoxious attitude and driving that is relatively new around here. Depending on where you live in the county and where you drive, it's more and less noticeable.

And crossed paths on c-d-f? Probably but i'm really not good at remembering user names.

Visually, a long post without paragraphs (and ideally spacing between paragraphs) is difficult for my eyes to deal with. Other posters have mentioned this now and again as well.

And like i said, i love S.C. .... i love the entire county. I love the whole Monterey bay area. There is so much about it that is wonderful. If i didn't feel the way i do about it, the fact that it's been gentrified and is now so over populated wouldn't bother me so much. Many, many people have been pushed out. People with families that go back generations have had to leave. They can't afford to stay in the town in which they grew up in. I've lived in a number of places where this has happened. I was born in a place (Truckee) that is now overrun with too many people and is basically ruined. So it's a sore point for me.

Anyway, i'm here until i am not and use the situation to practice patience and tolerance. I try.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Totally fair. And i understand your appreciation for the quality of life here. But for me, that's one of the things that has been quite compromised because there are just too many people in the county now. Just as an example, going to Aptos in the middle of a week day used to be an enjoyable breeze. Empty, quiet, etc. Now Soquel Drive is so impacted and Aptos so overrun that it's an absolute drag. And it's not just the amount of traffic .... it's the aggressive / obnoxious attitude and driving that is relatively new around here. Depending on where you live in the county and where you drive, it's more and less noticeable.

And crossed paths on c-d-f? Probably but i'm really not good at remembering user names.

Visually, a long post without paragraphs (and ideally spacing between paragraphs) is difficult for my eyes to deal with. Other posters have mentioned this now and again as well.

And like i said, i love S.C. .... i love the entire county. I love the whole Monterey bay area. There is so much about it that is wonderful. If i didn't feel the way i do about it, the fact that it's been gentrified and is now so over populated wouldn't bother me so much. Many, many people have been pushed out. People with families that go back generations have had to leave. They can't afford to stay in the town in which they grew up in. I've lived in a number of places where this has happened. I was born in a place (Truckee) that is now overrun with too many people and is basically ruined. So it's a sore point for me.

Anyway, i'm here until i am not and use the situation to practice patience and tolerance. I try.
Fair enough as well, but all the focus on change and more people seems to greatly reduce the good there is to be enjoyed which may or may not be in keeping with reality vs your longing for days gone by. I too grew up in much wider open spaces than exists where I grew up today. I used to ride horses through open fields now covered with houses, but there are still places where you can ride horses, see and enjoy open spaces, fish, hike, enjoy the blue sky. Yes, of course those places are not in a lot of places where they used to exist, and maybe moving to where they still exist is not easy, but it is still possible. Especially in this country and even California, the miles and miles, acres and acres, of open space still amaze me. Perhaps not in Aptos, ground zero, but in not so distant outlying areas. That's not the case where I grew up in Southern California where finding escape from freeways and strip malls is truly impossible without driving hours and hours. About to head up HWY 1 right now as a matter of fact, where it will be the ocean on my left and nothing but open space and farm country on my right (Davenport excepted). A good day to you too!

Old 09-11-2016, 08:37 PM

Definitely plenty of open space left and that's where i'm bound. It's just a drag to have to leave a place you love because there are simply too many people.
Zero population growth is .
Let's take care of the millions of parentless children in this world instead of fulfilling an egotistical and unchecked instinctual need to reproduce. Help the children and help the world.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:03 AM

353 posts, read 426,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qZmtrybndZq View Post
What is the story with Marina CA up the coast a bit ....I am starting to do
more searching as my plans have become firm leaving for Monterey 10/20.
Marina rents seem about 300/month cheaper. Also have the fires been
contained? I hope so

Thanks
We lived in Marina for eight years or so before we bought our house in Salinas. It is an in-between town, no much to do. People live there for a number of reasons:
a) they attend CSUMB
b) they can't afford to live in Monterey
c) they don't want to commute from Salinas
d) they like being between Monterey and Santa Cruz
e) they really do not like the sun or good soil*

*Okay perhaps not but it's foggy A LOT and the soil is sand, god forbid you want to grow anything.

Re: Fire
No, not really. They're been holding 60% containment for quite some time while the fire itself jumps around. The Chimney Fire is out though, but that was the one further South almost linking up with the Soberanes fire (the one still going).

Old 09-12-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Definitely plenty of open space left and that's where i'm bound. It's just a drag to have to leave a place you love because there are simply too many people.
Zero population growth is .
Let's take care of the millions of parentless children in this world instead of fulfilling an egotistical and unchecked instinctual need to reproduce. Help the children and help the world.
Good luck hoping for what everyone else should do. I've given up on that for the most part, not because I don't share the sentiments, but because I tend to focus on what is most practical, pragmatic -- doable -- when it comes to affecting, impacting or directing human development here and/or in the rest of the world.

I'm not entirely foreign to the whole hippie way of thinking, having spent some time in Berkeley, and I can say I've even been attracted toward those ways that made the Bay Area famous, even enjoyed much of it as I lived in a house full of hippies, been to a few Grateful Dead concerts and all the rest, but...

Somehow I was always guided by this same sense of the practical and pragmatic, balancing what I thought I needed to do to maintain the quality of life I wanted or needed, with reality. I simply came to conclude that much of that more bohemian lifestyle would fall short, sooner rather than later, so I guess I too needed to comply and conform to the dictates of the reality around me.

New paragraph just for you...

Call it the system, the economy, the man, the way of things..., much that I am not happy about, but how much does that matter? We are all faced with these same challenges (unless born into money), and we must all find happiness in whatever best way we can, or we are not so happy. Doesn't necessarily take lots of money, maybe the right perspective about things given whatever money we have, but it all boils down that simply for me, and thankfully for me, living in Santa Cruz as compared to what alternatives I've been considering most of my life, all pros and cons considered, being here makes me and my wife very happy.

She wants a Tesla BTW, because she likes the car and cares about the environment...

Old 09-13-2016, 01:24 AM

16 posts, read 17,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGray View Post
We lived in Marina for eight years or so before we bought our house in Salinas. It is an in-between town, no much to do. People live there for a number of reasons:
a) they attend CSUMB
b) they can't afford to live in Monterey
c) they don't want to commute from Salinas
d) they like being between Monterey and Santa Cruz
e) they really do not like the sun or good soil*

*Okay perhaps not but it's foggy A LOT and the soil is sand, god forbid you want to grow anything.

Re: Fire
No, not really. They're been holding 60% containment for quite some time while the fire itself jumps around. The Chimney Fire is out though, but that was the one further South almost linking up with the Soberanes fire (the one still going).
Thanks for the info ....I am moving for the overall cooler summers and milder winters ...
but do like to see the fog burn off by Noon and not linger....The south shore of Long Island
is like that many mornings ...beach day looks crappola at 9AM but then nice in afternoon
I am hoping for days like that in Monterey. I will focus small apartment in Monterey
for a year ...take pictures of myself with Cannery Row street sign visible for my Lit. Major
friends back east.

Tough news on the fires though

Old 09-13-2016, 11:00 AM

353 posts, read 426,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qZmtrybndZq View Post
Thanks for the info ....I am moving for the overall cooler summers and milder winters ...
but do like to see the fog burn off by Noon and not linger....The south shore of Long Island
is like that many mornings ...beach day looks crappola at 9AM but then nice in afternoon
I am hoping for days like that in Monterey. I will focus small apartment in Monterey
for a year ...take pictures of myself with Cannery Row street sign visible for my Lit. Major
friends back east.

Tough news on the fires though
Such hit and miss on the fog, but the worst two places are Pacific Grove and Marina. You can go 5-10 minutes in any direction and have different weather.

Monterey is a bit safer for sure concerning the weather

Old 09-13-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGray View Post
Such hit and miss on the fog, but the worst two places are Pacific Grove and Marina. You can go 5-10 minutes in any direction and have different weather.

Monterey is a bit safer for sure concerning the weather
https://weather.com/

For all anyone needs to know about weather just about anytime anywhere...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County