Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2019, 08:24 PM

3 posts, read 3,357 times

Advertisements

I am moving to California in the next few months. Yes, I know the cost of living. I've been coming out here for over a decade, and have looked at prices and spoken to people. I am looking at a few places (I have a remote job). The Monterey peninsula is my first choice. I currently live in a college town in Missouri, so this question may seem strange to California natives, but how's dating for a middle aged lesbian in the Monterey area? I know I'd have better odds in places like the Bay area, more people, but I prefer Monterey, I just don't want to get out there and find it's challenging. I've been dealing with that my entire adult life in Missouri, and it gets old going years between relationships. I know the laws and attitudes are better in California, so I know it will be a lot easier, but I thought I'd ask. I don't know if there's a decent amount of single lesbians near my age. It does look like there's a decent amount of meetups/lgbt activities in the area, which seems promising. I'm definitely more of a small town person, but that's not good for dating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 02:44 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Well, my guess is that it would be better than in Missouri, but you're dealing with a relatively small population. OTOH, if you widen your pool to include Santa Cruz, and some of the towns in-between, along Monterey Bay, that would increase your options.

Monterey is beautiful. I don't blame you for making that your first choice.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:19 PM

353 posts, read 426,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, my guess is that it would be better than in Missouri, but you're dealing with a relatively small population. OTOH, if you widen your pool to include Santa Cruz, and some of the towns in-between, along Monterey Bay, that would increase your options.

I would agree with the Santa Cruz comment and disagree with the "towns in-between." If I were in your position I would put more effort into looking at Santa Cruz than Monterey, and as far as any towns in-between I would limit myself to 5-10mins away from Santa Cruz (think Aptos/Soquel area).

Old 09-22-2019, 06:34 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

It would be my first choice, particularly Carmel, which I consider the prettiest little town in the US of A. But when I saw 1 bed/1bath bungalows listed for $1.2-1.3 million I said, "It's a pipe dream.Forget it."

Old 09-26-2019, 02:56 PM

353 posts, read 426,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
It would be my first choice, particularly Carmel, which I consider the prettiest little town in the US of A. But when I saw 1 bed/1bath bungalows listed for $1.2-1.3 million I said, "It's a pipe dream.Forget it."
You probably wouldn't want to live around those people anyways, so consider yourself lucky! It's a tourist strip of boujee shops for Europeans, Asians, and well-off Americans to come blow their USD.

ps: If you do go to Carmel be sure to eat at Tommy's Wok and check out the suds at Yeast of Eden (good happy hour, too).

pps: If I was to move to Carmel (and not the valley) I would find one of the houses of Ribera Road.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:50 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGray View Post
You probably wouldn't want to live around those people anyways, so consider yourself lucky! It's a tourist strip of boujee shops for Europeans, Asians, and well-off Americans to come blow their USD.

ps: If you do go to Carmel be sure to eat at Tommy's Wok and check out the suds at Yeast of Eden (good happy hour, too).

pps: If I was to move to Carmel (and not the valley) I would find one of the houses of Ribera Road.

Yes, we've driven through there many times and have seen what you refer to. We could live with that. The town is just so pristine and the properties prim. We've found that rather than go through a drive up and down from Los Angeles we just catch Amtrak which deposits us in Salinas and then catch an auxiliary coach to Monterey and then pick up a car rental. We have a million to spend but it only buys a nice 1+1 or a not-as-nice 2+1. the 3 bedrooms are untouchable. And we might even run into Clint Eastwood one of these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County