Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 02:55 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why-not-now View Post
I'm looking for the sunshine for sure. I like the idea of cooler temps, but give me sun please!
Regarding sun, overall Monterey has many more sunny days than most places around the country especially during winter. And its warmer too making year round outdoor activity very enjoyable. During 3 out of 4 seasons fog will not be an issue. Summer is fog season with May Gray and June Gloom which actually occurs up and down the coast to varying degrees. That said, there are parts even on the coast which are sunny more often such as Monterey's Sunbelt. Its something very tangible that you will experience when driving from Pacific Grove or Marina from the fog into the sun. That is actually one of the reasons we moved there. Here's a picture of a sunny summer day in front of our house where we had fog to the north (Marina) and south (Pacific Grove) of us.

Here is a thread I wrote on the topic which actually comes up a lot. Monterey's Weather Pattern

And this has a map of the sunbelt area: Monterey Sunbelt

BTW, Monterey is a big military town with the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS), Defense Language Institute (DLI), Fort Ord and the Presidio of Monterey. We've made many great military friends including retired military who tend to come back to Monterey to live after be stationed in many other states and countries. It is a bit of magical place which leaves a mark on one's life when given the opportunity to live there, though not perfect of course.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2019, 05:03 PM

36 posts, read 48,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahewahewaheguru View Post
If sun is very important to you, try to find a place in Carmel Valley.
I love the fog but it can get to you over time especially if you're a sun lover.
Also, if you Google for rentals in Carmel Valley do realize that there is a Carmel Valley in San Diego so specify
Monterey county in your searches.
And are you comfortable in revealing what your monthly rental budget is?
Tbh, I’m struggling with that. While I’d like to keep it below $3k, I’m really peculiar about where I lay my head at night. I’m hoping that when the time comes, the right property will come open (& they’ll accept dogs.)

Old 12-27-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
If you do make the move just realize that, speaking generally, California is more wild & chaotic and less stayed than what you may be used to back east.
Although i think you mentioned that your a military person? so i imagine you're used to unsettling circumstances.
Anyway, being open and flexible and "going with the flow" (even when things don't seem to be flowing in the way you want them to which may or may not happen) and accepting that you're in a very different world is a good approach.
Wild & chaotic describes my life....but in a good way. I spent 10 years in the U.S. Air Force, so I’m pretty good at adapting, but I like to be as prepared as possible. Thanks for the links about the weather because believe it or not, it plays a huge role in one’s quality of life. I need to make my decision by the end of next month, so all info is welcomed & appreciated.

Old 12-27-2019, 07:38 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Another thing to consider is the benefit of the 'reverse commute.' The majority of traffic in the area flows into Monterey in the AM and away from it in the PM. So when we lived in Pacific Grove and I drove to work in Seaside (near CSUMB) I hit some PG traffic going through Monterey. Once in Monterey its a reverse commute heading outbound. So when we moved to Monterey the roads were always wide open heading to/from work. It was the best commute I've ever had. I could jump on the freeway (Hwy 1) at 8 AM and do 60+ MPH until my exit and same thing coming home (usually ~ 10 minutes). All that with an ocean view while driving!

If you live further outside Monterey you'll hit more traffic. While its not big city traffic, it can still come to a standstill at certain times of the day when going the same direction as everyone else. Many times I went sailing by looking at cars stopped on the other side of the freeway. So if deep in Carmel Valley everyone will be heading out the only road to Hwy 1 in the AM/PM.

If the fog is a big concern, I would highly recommend the sunbelt since you do not have to go as far inland as Carmel Valley. Also, an important thing to keep in mind is that since the fog is very local to the coast, every mile you head inland it will diminish significantly. That means even upper Monterey in the hills closer to the mall or nearer the airport are clearer most of the year.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 12-27-2019 at 08:11 PM..

Old 12-27-2019, 09:02 PM

75 posts, read 154,243 times
Default Location, Location

That VA Clinic is in Marina but actually on land that used to be part of Fort Ord Military Reservation. Consider Seaside, Marina and Salinas!

Old 12-27-2019, 10:34 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark9272 View Post
That VA Clinic is in Marina but actually on land that used to be part of Fort Ord Military Reservation. Consider Seaside, Marina and Salinas!

Years ago, there was a VA Clinic on Gigling Road, in Fort Ord. I went there once. I Usually had my appointments at Palo Alto VA Hospital.

Old 12-27-2019, 10:45 PM

My older brother has lived in Prunedale for 25 years (Gilroy before that). He gets a pretty good amount of sunshine still, he tells me. He was a school teacher for 35 years. He taught at Seaside high school/Fort Ord School/Marina School, over the years. He drove in to work. Sometimes they had a car pool from Gilroy. He loves being retired now...

Old 12-28-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
My older brother has lived in Prunedale for 25 years (Gilroy before that). He gets a pretty good amount of sunshine still, he tells me. He was a school teacher for 35 years. He taught at Seaside high school/Fort Ord School/Marina School, over the years. He drove in to work. Sometimes they had a car pool from Gilroy. He loves being retired now...
Howdy Hawk J:

Retirement sounds good, but I’m years (not many tho) away from it. What can you tell me about fishing in the area?

Old 12-28-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
And, especially re; Salinas, do become knowledgeable about which neighborhoods / areas are safe.
It's my sense that the o.p., given what she has expressed, would prefer to be in Monterey, Carmel or Pacific Grove despite the cost of rentals.
I'd steer a newcomer to Monterey county to one of those 3 communities if they are in a position to handle the cost of housing which it seems she is.
I’m thinking that once I visit, I’ll get the gist of where I’d fit. I’m not opposed to the Salinas or Marina areas especially if they offer less commute time. Right now the Atlanta traffic has my commute at 45 minutes, but when it rains, it could be hours. Thank God for podcasts & Audible

Old 12-28-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why-not-now View Post
Howdy Hawk J:

Retirement sounds good, but I’m years (not many tho) away from it. What can you tell me about fishing in the area?

Years ago when we lived in Monterey County, i did quite a bit of fishing all over within about 100 miles.
Back then you could surf fish just about any beach you wanted to. One of my favorites was Moss Landing Beach. I caught some nice surf perch (good eating) along the beach & once in a while i caught & usually released some nice Striped Bass. I used pileworms/bloodworms/squid/cut anchovies/ different lures.I caught Jack Smelt in the channel behind ML canneries. I caught rockfish,etc, & crabs on the rocks both sides of the entrance to Elkhorn Slough.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...4dUDCAc&uact=5

At times we fished & crabbed on Monterey wharf #1. One time i caught & released a huge sunfish, similar to these photos...

For crab we used a spokeless bicycle rim with netting, or a CrabHawk, using a sturdy(med heavy) rod& reel, heavy line/ or just with an anchor line tied to it. Catching crab was especially good at night. We also caught many Jack Smelt.
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...67.TPTwH4GL4Rw
ttps://www.etsy.com/listing/690046541/cast-it-wyur-rod-n-reel-one-minute-crab?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cp c&utm_campaign=shopping_us_d-home_and_living-outdoor_and_garden-other&utm_custom1=200daba6-52dd-4230-bb32-99f5b3987f45&utm_content=go_1844702802_69827691055 _346398238696_pla-302633558787_c__690046541&gclid=Cj0KCQiAl5zwBRCTAR IsAIrukdNaZmZJkNWlc48Jb1qehYNDJLmibuTAY8wLhQMnMRY-6eaux8eHI64aAngZEALw_wcB

Pinto Lake, in Watsonville, you could catch & keep trout, crappie, & crawdads. I released the bass i caught, so they could grow, to be caught another time.

I caught & released Steelhead in the Carmel River & Big Sur River.
Camped & fished/explored the river below Millers Lodge, Arroyo Seco.
Lake Naciemiento, camped & fished-caught many crappie/bass/catfish.
Lake San Antonio, camped & fished- caught many redear sunfish/bass/catfish/striped bass.

Bridge at hwy 152-San Luis Forebay/ caught, usually released large Striped Bass- used Pileworms/Bloodworms/cut anchovies/small baitfish i caught in canals i called a 'bullhead' (stripers loved em) /different lures...Largest Striped Bass caught here was 66lb +.
Delta/Mendota canal- camped in ol' 1978 American Clipper Motorhome/fished- caught many Striped Bass & catfish.
California Aqueduct concrete canal & California Delta- camped & fished- caught some large stripers & catfish.

Camanche Lake South Shore- one of my favorites in my boat- caught & released many Striped Bass/kept some catfish & trout.https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...10._BnLDGZKgn4

Enjoy yourselves/take photos/Be Safe...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County