Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 10:12 PM

36 posts, read 48,787 times

Advertisements

I just did a COL comparison on SmartAssets.com between Atlanta and Monterey. It listed Monterey with only an 11% increase. That's somewhat surprising because everyone's telling me how insanely more expensive it is in Monterey. I think once I wrap my brain around how much I'd spend on housing, everything else would perhaps equal out....or at least be manageable.

I'm not opposed to frugal living because I like saving money as much as the next girl, but I sort of draw the line at re-using dental floss. What would you say your number one piece of advice for frugal living?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2019, 12:21 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why-not-now View Post
I just did a COL comparison on SmartAssets.com between Atlanta and Monterey. It listed Monterey with only an 11% increase. That's somewhat surprising because everyone's telling me how insanely more expensive it is in Monterey. I think once I wrap my brain around how much I'd spend on housing, everything else would perhaps equal out....or at least be manageable.

I'm not opposed to frugal living because I like saving money as much as the next girl, but I sort of draw the line at re-using dental floss. What would you say your number one piece of advice for frugal living?

From fish you catch, trade some fillets with friends/acquaintances for Peterbilt hats & beer, etc, at the Peterbilt Dispatch office, in Salinas......I always had a lot of fillets in my freezer. I traded many fresh caught. My lady could fillet fish much better than i.

Old 12-29-2019, 05:44 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:

Yes, its basically housing that will be the main difference. There is both military and civilian housing near Fort Ord. So I would explore those properties. I have friends who live there and are not active duty. The Parks at Monterey Bay

The other things to save on will be food. Learn where to shop for sales, etc... We have a family of 5 so used Costco, Trader Joes and a number of other stores. My wife had it down to a science in finding the best deals for the kinds of food we liked to eat. Then just don't eat out as much. That can get pricey depending on where you go. I always brought my lunch whereas others seemed to go out for lunch all the time which really adds up. If you like to fish, the fishing boats go out of Monterey Harbor and bring back lots of fish. I think its almost guaranteed if you go out with them since they follow the reports closely.

Gas is more expensive. So if you can live closer that will save on the daily commute. It will also improve your overall QOL to not be wrestling with traffic. You'll have more time to enjoy the area on your terms/timeframes.

For furniture and other personal items learn to shop used locally. Craigslist, Offerup, Facebook Marketplace will save you a lot vs. overpriced furniture stores, etc... Lots of military moving in/out. So there are deals to be had on almost everything.

For recreation, if you are in the military or work for the gov't you can save on many types of rentals here: Presidio of Monterey - Army MWR

For traveling, fly out of San Jose or SFO vs. Monterey. That will be much more affordable. SFO has national and international flights at really good prices. Its more of a pain but saves $$.

Derek

Old 12-29-2019, 09:36 PM

36 posts, read 48,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yes, its basically housing that will be the main difference. There is both military and civilian housing near Fort Ord. So I would explore those properties. I have friends who live there and are not active duty. The Parks at Monterey Bay

The other things to save on will be food. Learn where to shop for sales, etc... We have a family of 5 so used Costco, Trader Joes and a number of other stores. My wife had it down to a science in finding the best deals for the kinds of food we liked to eat. Then just don't eat out as much. That can get pricey depending on where you go. I always brought my lunch whereas others seemed to go out for lunch all the time which really adds up. If you like to fish, the fishing boats go out of Monterey Harbor and bring back lots of fish. I think its almost guaranteed if you go out with them since they follow the reports closely.

Gas is more expensive. So if you can live closer that will save on the daily commute. It will also improve your overall QOL to not be wrestling with traffic. You'll have more time to enjoy the area on your terms/timeframes.

For furniture and other personal items learn to shop used locally. Craigslist, Offerup, Facebook Marketplace will save you a lot vs. overpriced furniture stores, etc... Lots of military moving in/out. So there are deals to be had on almost everything.

For recreation, if you are in the military or work for the gov't you can save on many types of rentals here: Presidio of Monterey - Army MWR

For traveling, fly out of San Jose or SFO vs. Monterey. That will be much more affordable. SFO has national and international flights at really good prices. Its more of a pain but saves $$.

Derek
Derek,

Thanks for the tips. Those apartments look really nice and I'll be sure to look them up if/when. I just did another COL comparison on Salary.com and that news was a little more daunting...41.2% increase.

Financially, I know I could make this work with a little tightening of the belt, the question everyone will ask, "Why?" For me, it's about adventure. I have a co-worker who thinks it ridiculous that I've lived/worked in so many places. He said I don't have 'roots'. He's right to a degree, but I do have a hometown where my parents have lived for the past 50+ years. My roots are there, but I don't want to go back there to live. I quite enjoy these adventures. It's costly and my savings accounts pay the price, but for the most part my family of three have enjoyed having best friends in multiple states, co-workers who remember me fondly and church friends who constantly have us on their prayer list.

Once again, thanks for the tips and do keep posting those awesome pictures.

Old 12-29-2019, 11:13 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
Derek,

Thanks for the tips. Those apartments look really nice and I'll be sure to look them up if/when. I just did another COL comparison on Salary.com and that news was a little more daunting...41.2% increase.

Financially, I know I could make this work with a little tightening of the belt, the question everyone will ask, "Why?" For me, it's about adventure. I have a co-worker who thinks it ridiculous that I've lived/worked in so many places. He said I don't have 'roots'. He's right to a degree, but I do have a hometown where my parents have lived for the past 50+ years. My roots are there, but I don't want to go back there to live. I quite enjoy these adventures. It's costly and my savings accounts pay the price, but for the most part my family of three have enjoyed having best friends in multiple states, co-workers who remember me fondly and church friends who constantly have us on their prayer list.

Once again, thanks for the tips and do keep posting those awesome pictures.
If you are an adventurer at heart, then Monterey is for you, plain and simple. With Big Sur in your backyard, the beautiful beaches, marine life sanctuary, the coastal mountains to explore and Yosemite to the east for getaways, I'm sure you'll love it. Oh, and great music as well if you like Jazz, the Blues or Reggae. The Monterey Jazz Festival is world renowned and man, did I miss not going this year.

There are some good churches in the area I recommend as well depending on what you're looking for.

Take care,

Derek

Old 01-03-2020, 10:29 AM

2 posts, read 1,525 times
is there still a tortilla flat in Monterey?

Old 01-03-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumichka View Post
is there still a tortilla flat in Monterey?

Tortilla Flat is a Novel by John Steinbeck...

https://www.google.com/search?q=tort...6lMinqM:&vet=1

John Steinbeck House is in Salinas.

Old 01-04-2020, 05:37 PM

That reminded me of when we were teens sometimes we would go up to "Deer Flats Park" & hang out, enjoy nature......drink a couple beers.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...39.Ml434I4tYPk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County