Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 12:06 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark9272 View Post
Forget a hotel - you won't get an accurate picture of life in Monterey. Rent a RV and park it at Cannery Row, Fisherman's Wharf, Carmel, Seaside, lots of places around the Peninsula.
This is the most absurd piece of advice I have read in a long time. You cannot just park an RV wherever you want and you most certainly can't stay overnight anywhere except a campground or an RV park, both of which are limited in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 02:26 PM

75 posts, read 154,243 times
Default Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
This is the most absurd piece of advice I have read in a long time. You cannot just park an RV wherever you want and you most certainly can't stay overnight anywhere except a campground or an RV park, both of which are limited in the area.

I have done this LOTS of times around the Peninsula. Never been told to move. But I never leave it for more than 48 hours in any one spot.

Old 04-24-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark9272 View Post
I have done this LOTS of times around the Peninsula. Never been told to move. But I never leave it for more than 48 hours in any one spot.
Well good for you. Never mind that it's illegal.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:07 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times
I’d be kinda weirded out doing that due to safety security issues.
People have their own comfort zone, so to each their own.

I once had to sleep in my truck on a diving trip at Pt Arena parking lot because I couldn’t find out where my friends were camping due to no cell reception.

I was awakened by two young cops pointing their guns at me.
When I told them not to freak out because I had a loaded pistol in my sleeping bag.
I seriously thought these two dummies were actually going to shoot me.
Didn’t care for that one bit.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:14 PM

I certainly would not recommend the same strategy if he wanted to check out San Francisco! But around Monterey, it is perfectly safe.

Old 05-02-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VietnamVetJohn View Post
getting out of south Texas in August, always a benefit.

I'm curious why do you want to leave South Texas? I'm curious because Im considering relocating there[/quote]

Because it's hot as hell in Texas in August????

Old 05-04-2020, 10:24 AM

Nobody is talking about southern California here, and no, it definitely is not as hot as Texas in August. This thread is about Monterey, which has an average high temperature in August of 70 degrees. Average high in Texas in August is 95 degrees.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:47 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
I would just stay at motels. I assume you will just be sleeping in your room, and probably exploring all day long. You just need a place to shower, wash your clothes, relax at night and maybe catch up on the internet and emails before you sleep, and get a good night's sleep, and maybe eat breakfast in the morning. Driving up the coast highway from San Diego is a great trip. Lots of places to stay, stop and eat. San Diego will be hotter in the daytime but much cooler at night and in the early morning. I was there in the summer and loved to get up early and walk while the air was cool and crisp. It gets cooler the further north you go. All are beautiful places, but consider whether the spots have things to do once you get used to the scenery. Monterey is a good example. Absolutely breath taking coastline, but then what?

Last edited by bobspez; 05-04-2020 at 11:59 AM..

Old 05-05-2020, 01:52 AM

If you want SoCal weather, a really great town with the lowest housing costs in all of California is Coalinga.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:21 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
We have spent many wonderful, happy summers camping/fishing/exploring:
Carmel Valley
Carmel River
Los Laureles Lodge
Los Padres National Forest
Arroyo Seco
Miller's Lodge/Camp
Fred's Camp
Government Camp
The Gorge
The Indians
Fort Hunter Liggett
San Antonio Lake
Naciemiento Lake

We have many wonderful memories from camping/fishing/exploring these areas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County