Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 01:49 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,760,223 times

Advertisements

Why did the Monterey area population suddenly go down in 2000 to now? Did the ppl in the area decide to slow growth down due to growth in Salinas? Is growth in Monterey area expected to ever pick up again or will it keep going down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 01:57 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
To me it looks like simple economics. As the CA RE prices rose to astronomical levels people were forced out of their home towns such as Carmel, Pacific Grove and Monterey. Although I didn't grow up there, I have heard from people who did say they had to move out because of the high cost of living. Where is a young couple with children going to live unless they are wealthy, a dual income family or earn a 'very' high wage?

As I am looking at possible employment in that particular region now I won't live in Monterey. Even though prices have dropped considerably in the past year they are still too high for our family. My wife is a stay at home mom with our three children by intent. So we will look to the outskirt communities - Seaside, Marina, Prunedale and even Watsonville. On the other hand home sales in Monterey 'County' are on the rise.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:58 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Why did the Monterey area population suddenly go down in 2000 to now? Did the ppl in the area decide to slow growth down due to growth in Salinas? Is growth in Monterey area expected to ever pick up again or will it keep going down?
I'm not sure it went down that much. According to this website ... the population of Monterey itself has only dropped by 900 people since 2000.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:49 PM

What is normal population growth for Monterey? 1,000 population every 10 years, or 2,000 population every 10 years?

Old 07-06-2008, 06:37 AM

64 posts, read 312,523 times
Quote:

There are several issues at play. One, Salinas, for its size has a HORRIBLE gang problem. There is a lot of gang violence that used to be relegated to certain areas that is spilling over to the whole city.

Secondly, the cost of housing in the Monterey bay region is simply unaffordable. It used to be that bedroom communities were growing south of Salinas, but due to the cost of gas, commuting from those areas into San Jose, Gilroy or worse the penninsula has made those communities unaffordable in terms of commuting.

Long term issues face anyone contemplating purchasing a home on the ocean side of Monterey County in that there are very REAL water supply issues just down the road. In short, they are facing a water emergency in that their water supply is short, its being overpumped, and there are projections of salt water intrusion into both the Salinas river but most importantly the Seaside Basin. WHEN that happens, it's not a matter of if, then that source will be lost as drinkable water.

It's a lovely area. But a long-term investment in housing there should be thought through VERY carefully.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:03 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,515,675 times
There is VERY little influx of people to Monterey. However...there is not many people leaving by "choice" either (i.e. they pass on).

Those who own homes...either own them outright or owe very little on their mortgages (and bought them before the massive rise in prices). It is perhaps the single most expensive city in the US in terms of housing. Therefore they stay put.

If you can afford to live there...it is magical! I did fro two years and will never regret it...although I doubt that I will have the means to do so again.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:17 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,459 times
Quote:
Is growth in Monterey area expected to ever pick up again or will it keep going down?
It will probably depend on housing prices. They have dropped from a peak of $800K to $400-600K but ... I think anyone who can afford it will always be willing to pay to live there.

I don't think the people who live in these expensive towns want them to grow that much ... they probably like things to stay the way they are.

The growth may go down somewhat but, there's always going to be people willing to pay through the nose to live there also.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:45 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrala View Post
Long term issues face anyone contemplating purchasing a home on the ocean side of Monterey County in that there are very REAL water supply issues just down the road. In short, they are facing a water emergency in that their water supply is short, its being overpumped, and there are projections of salt water intrusion into both the Salinas river but most importantly the Seaside Basin. WHEN that happens, it's not a matter of if, then that source will be lost as drinkable water.

It's a lovely area. But a long-term investment in housing there should be thought through VERY carefully.
Well, I am looking into investing in the Monterey 'county' area. And so I would very much like to hear more the water issues and 'which' communities might be effected. The areas we are looking at homes in are Marina, Seaside, Watsonville, Oak Hills(near Castroville), and Prunedale. Do you think 'all' these areas will be effected or just the coastal towns closer to the water?

Old 07-06-2008, 01:16 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,697,746 times
Monterey just doesn't appeal to that many anymore when there are better amenities found in bigger cities nearby. If you want to go to a decent shopping mall, you can either go to Northride Mall in Salinas (but that's infested with gang problems now there are shooting inside that mall) or take a long drive to San Jose. Want to go to a concert? Watch professional sports game? Visit amusement parks? You're mostly out of luck in Monterey area. You'll have to drive up to the San Jose area, which a lot of Monterey residents are doing often. Long-time residents can afford to live in Monterey because they have lived there for years and their houses paid off. There is minimal population growth due to little commercial development .

Back when Fort Ord was still open, the economy was better because you had military families transferring in and out of just the military base, but also towns such as Seaside and Marina. I remember when I attended Marina Del Mar Elementary school in the 1980s, there were talks of shutting the school in anticipation of lower enrollment due to the foreclosure of Fort Ord, but to this day the school is still open.

And the former Fort Ord military base still look the same as ever with empty houses. There are some new houses developed nearer to Marina's Reservation Road and nearer to Seaside High School, yet no development inbetween the two areas mentioned above. Why? It is too costly to live and overrated in my book.

My family lived in Marina for 23 years until we decided to move to Bakersfield to pursue our business in hospitality. Every time I visit Monterey, it just feels like city is isolated and still stuck in the 1980's after the military base closed down. It may sound hard to believe, but we prefer life here in Bakersfield. People are friendlier, there newer development here, and the cost of living is much lower. It's not perfect, but it's better for us.

Tim C.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Monterey just doesn't appeal to that many anymore when there are better amenities found in bigger cities nearby. If you want to go to a decent shopping mall, you can either go to Northride Mall in Salinas (but that's infested with gang problems now there are shooting inside that mall) or take a long drive to San Jose. Want to go to a concert? Watch professional sports game? Visit amusement parks? You're mostly out of luck in Monterey area. You'll have to drive up to the San Jose area, which a lot of Monterey residents are doing often. Long-time residents can afford to live in Monterey because they have lived there for years and their houses paid off. There is minimal population growth due to little commercial development .

Back when Fort Ord was still open, the economy was better because you had military families transferring in and out of just the military base, but also towns such as Seaside and Marina. I remember when I attended Marina Del Mar Elementary school in the 1980s, there were talks of shutting the school in anticipation of lower enrollment due to the foreclosure of Fort Ord, but to this day the school is still open.

And the former Fort Ord military base still look the same as ever with empty houses. There are some new houses developed nearer to Marina's Reservation Road and nearer to Seaside High School, yet no development inbetween the two areas mentioned above. Why? It is too costly to live and overrated in my book.

My family lived in Marina for 23 years until we decided to move to Bakersfield to pursue our business in hospitality. Every time I visit Monterey, it just feels like city is isolated and still stuck in the 1980's after the military base closed down. It may sound hard to believe, but we prefer life here in Bakersfield. People are friendlier, there newer development here, and the cost of living is much lower. It's not perfect, but it's better for us.

Tim C.
That's very good information.

In 1999, the population was at 33,000 population. And in 2000 it fell to 29,000 population. In, 1990 the population was at 31,000 population. And now the city is at 30,000 population. My wonder is, will the city be maintaining 1,000 population growth every 10 years or less?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County