Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2008, 07:17 PM

4 posts, read 14,261 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to California in December and have to decide between the Monterey area and somewhere near Irvine area (Orange County). I will be transferring universities and have good opportunities (scholarships and internships) at a university in each city- Monterey (UCSMB ) and in Irvine (UCI).

I am moving from central Florida which I have not been here extremely long but truly hate and I am really looking forward to leaving. I know Monterey/ Seaside area and Irvine/Orange County are VERY different but I am just not sure what each place is like. I have been to Monterey as well as Huntington Beach so I have a minimal idea what it is like, but at the time I was just visiting and realize being somewhere on vacation is much different than living there.

I will be renting and I realize it will be pricey. I lived in San Francisco briefly so I am not in denial about the coast of living in California. What I would like to know about each area is what the people are like, is the “vibe” more liberal or conservative – (I prefer more progressive liberal places with open-minded people). Are the people more laid back and free-spirited, or materialistic? Also, is there much to do as far as entertainment? I love the outdoors, beach, running, kayaking, etc. As well as are there a lot of festivals and/or cultural events involving music, art, etc? Does the area have much of a “community feel” or is it more disconnected and spread out? A little strange but in Monterey area are there many quality gyms and health clubs, I am a little workout crazed! How bad is the traffic in each place? Is the coast of living similar between the two? Also any opinions on these universities are welcomed! Any insight and information about living in these two areas I would greatly appreciate. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 11:08 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
I think Monterey and OC are very different places. I grew up in S. Cal and went to College there. I surfed all over OC, SD and LA.

I also grew to love the Monterey/Santa Cruz area. I liked it so much that my wife and I were married in the Santa Cruz Mtns.

I think both places have most of the things you are looking for. My vote would be for Monterey though. While OC isn't bad I think the whole Monterey area with Big Sur to the south and Santa Cruz to the north is one of the crown jewels of the state. It is pretty hard to beat for awesome beauty and outdoor activities.

As a CA native I moved my family to CO because of a lot of the negative things occuring in our home state. But now we are looking at returning home. And we can live anywhere we want for the most part, as long as an area has some decent jobs. Monterey is our first choice. Because of the increased crowds, ocean polution, crime, traffic, etc... in LA, OC and SD I don't even want to live in S. Cal. again. Its a concrete jungle basically from LA to SD.

The only real advantage OC has based on your criteria is more gyms and a whole lot more people and traffic to go along with them. But I am sure you can find some decent gyms in the Monterey area. So I wouldn't worry about that too much. The rental prices in Marina and Seaside aren't too bad either at least compared to other coastal towns in CA.

I think you have a good variety of people in both places as well. From very conservative to free spirited artsy types to folks in between like us.

My 2c,

Derek

Old 07-13-2008, 01:20 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,013 times
Monterey is a good place to live.
I live just south but I`m there almost every day and never seen any trouble or bad vibes except two dogs fighting on the shore.
Get a big dog and sleep calm.

All the Best

Last edited by impala666; 07-13-2008 at 02:05 AM..

Old 07-15-2008, 09:06 AM

2 posts, read 7,439 times
Default Go With Orange County

Hi,
I don't know much about Monterey but I've been there a few times for weekend trips. I think someone of college age would much prefer Orange County. Most likely a lot more for you to do. Plus, Monterey tends to be very cold. Sure there is a lot to do outdoors but when its fogged in and temps are in the 50's who wants to do it?? Orange County isn't quite like a big city, so it might be your "happy medium." Althouh it does come with the downsides of big cities of traffic and is expensive, but if you lived in SF you should be prepared like you said.
If you like the beach you should try to live closer to the coast, although more expensive! But when you live too far inland sometimes with traffic you sometimes forget the beach is even there!! Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County