Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2008, 07:16 PM

17,878 posts, read 27,274,926 times

Advertisements

Anybody remember Cannery Row? John Steinbeck? It's a fiction novel and all, but there was once a place that provided many jobs for those fortunate enough to cut it here and those men and women provided a product that fed many of our soldiers during WWII.

Evidently, sardines were big for about 25 years as they sort of run in a 50-year cycle and at some point in the 70s or 80s, the last of the canneries shut down and they built a little aquarium.

As far as aquariums go, I think it was pretty nice. We were supposed to be in Big Sur, but we talked with some fire fighters up in NoCal and they suggested we hang out in Monterey instead. They said the aquarium is worth checking out. I hope you enjoy the pics;

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 10:39 PM

44 posts, read 179,675 times
Default thanks for the photos

Thank you for the photos. I am looking at relocating in either the Santa Barbara area or the Monterey area. The mid coast looks like the place to be for me.

How did you like the area and where else did you look around?

Old 07-13-2008, 10:40 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,054,163 times
Brings back memories. I went there many times while I was growing up in the South Bay, and the seals chilling out on the rocks behind the aquarium was one of the coolest parts. It's really special when you have another natural, mega-aquarium just outside the man-made one.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastRefugee View Post
How did you like the area and where else did you look around?
Thanks for checkin' them out. We did actually tour some other places up and down from there along the 1;

Carmel and 17-Mile Drive

San Francisco and Tiburon

Humboldt County Avenue of the Giants

We had wanted to go to Big Sur, but the area was evacuated and/or not accessible to those who didn't live in the area, so we did the Monterey Bay scene instead, then down to Carmel, then out to the 101 and south to San Luis Obispo.

San Francisco is an awesome city. I just would have to stumble onto a Powerball winning or something to be able to afford the place. We really liked northern California as well. Someday, I hope we can start near Garberville and head north up into Oregon and Washington next time.

If it was me, I'd say think NoCal!

Old 07-14-2008, 07:35 PM

1,994 posts, read 4,844,291 times
Great pics you got there

Old 07-15-2008, 11:03 PM

336 posts, read 842,099 times
Really beautiful photos.I visited the aquarium in the early 90's.It was only $6.oo to be admitted.
Once you head north on 101,thru Humboldt County(Eureka,Fortuna,Ferndale,etc.),you're heading to Del Norte County, which is very beautiful and remote.
The Redwoods seperate this far northern part of Cal. from the rest of the state. That is, the Redwoods and the ocean meet.The beauty and uniqueness is unlike anywhere else.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:39 AM

Default More Monterey Bay Aquarium Pics

Ferndale! When we were up in Garberville, we actually cruised on up to Ferndale when we completed the Avenue of the Giants on that Redwood Highway up in Humboldt county! I even took some pics of that little town too. They're on my other computer now though. We'd like to go back and head on up into Oregon sometime.

Last edited by McGowdog; 07-16-2008 at 03:49 AM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County