Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 09:44 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,122,918 times

Advertisements

Hi Olie,
Just wanted to wish you good luck.
We are visiting Monterey right now. I love it here so much! I dream of moving here some day but we're not ready to leave Colorado yet. We drove down to Big Sur yesterday then hiked Point Lobos. I feel like an elite athlete hiking here - I don't have to stop to catch my breath!
I'd post some photos but MtnSurfer puts mine to shame.
MtnSurfer, I've seen your phenomenal photos and read some of your posts. Always interesting since you've made the move. Glad it's worked out well for you and your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 12:20 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Hi Neditate!

Glad you made it out to Monterey and are enjoying it. There is a lot to see and do out here with Big Sur, Point Lobos, Carmel and Monterey.

But please feel free to post pictures. Don't be shy really.LOL... I just happen to do landcape photography for a hobby. Livnig in CO actually really got me going on photography because there is so much beauty up in the Rockies and San Juans. Both places (CA & CO) are beautiful in their own way.

So are you guys just out on vacation? We probably would have stayed in CO if only the coast was in driving distance. But as a beach kid at heart I missed the sea too much. Although that is not to say CO isn't an awesome place. And those Aspen Groves are second to none!

Derek

Old 07-03-2009, 01:59 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,122,918 times
Another fantastic photo, Derek! Awesome.
Oh goodness... I am an amateur and my photos look like crayon drawings compared to yours!

Yes, we are here on vacation. We've been coming to the Monterey Peninsula for 20 years now. My husband is a former motorcycle racer and he's here for the races @ Laguna Seca (spectating).
I love the mountains for living, the ocean for vacationing.

Have a fantastic day! I'm heading for the Aquarium.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:14 PM

6 posts, read 18,111 times
Default moving to Monterey

Hi Derek,
Thank you for the tips about the outlying areas. We definitely want to be walking distance to things, so I know some sacrifices will have to be made, but we think the trade off will be worth it. We are heading down that way in two weeks and I can't wait. We have had a ridiculous heat wave here and as I keep checking the weather in Monterey I am more convinced we are on the right path for a good change. Our friends is San Francisco are really exicted about the possibility of having friends on the coast and vice-a-versa. I am checking craigslist constantly for any new rentals and have come across a few that sound really good, only hope they are still available when we get there. Thanks again for all your input and photographs! I loved the one from Colorado, having gone to school in Boulder I also truly appreciate that mountain beauty!
Thanks again!
Sara

Old 08-04-2009, 02:21 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,183,526 times
Maybe the aquarium is hiring otter feeders and shark trainers. Got a PhD in Marine Biology?

Old 11-06-2011, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 4,803 times
Default We LOVE MONTEREY!! The Best Place to Call Home!

Me and family of 3 recently relocated to Monterey from Redondo beach after taking a regional manager position within my company. We had read so many exciting things about the city and had only read about the BIG SUR Beaches along the Central Coast. After doing a little research we were dying to pay the city a visit.

We were very nervous about the possibility of moving 6 hours away from our family and friends with absolutely no one up here we would know (except of course my fellow employees). However, we decided this opportunity was just too HUGE for me/us to pass up. This meant my wife would be able to stay home and spend more time with our 8 year old daughter after working as an Executive Admin Assistant for 7 years. We were very excited about the possibility of relocating to such a popular area but wanted to make sure we did our homework before making our official decision to accept the position.

After the long drive we arrive in Monterey and immediately fell in love! Nothing I can type could describe the beauty out here in Monterey County! The people out here seemed to live life in a more relaxing type of mind set. Coming from Socal this was a breath of fresh air!

We made sure to take advantage of our time out here by visiting potential communities to call home. Monterey is the definitely the priciest of local cities. However, if you want to enjoy the best living experience, Monterey is where it's at! We found a perfect little, well taken care of community within the city's popular Casanova Oak Knoll Neighborhood in the beautiful city of Monterey, near Fremont Blvd and Casanova Ave. We fell so much in love with the area that we decided to put a hold and an apartment that same weekend..lol

We returned back home with the biggest smile and good news to share with our family and friends that Monterey was in our near future. I gladly accepted the position and moved 2 weeks later.

We have been here since February 2011 and I must say we love it!! We found a perfect place to call our "little piece of heaven" here in Monterey! We have some of the best neighbors and always joke around about how perfect our life has become since moving out here..lol.. We all know life is not perfect but this seems to be the closest we can get!

I am really grateful for this opportunity to call Monterey our city! I never really had a chance to thank my Community Manager who played a big role in helping us find the perfect place to call our home with the best staff and neighbors anyone could ask for. We made many friends thanks to the monthly resident community events we have here..lol.. Settling in was easier than we thought! Monterey has some of the friendliest people!

Thank you MOD CUT and everyone else who have brought so much joy to our Family since moving here.

We love you Monterey!!

Sincerely,

Happy MontereyFamily

Last edited by NewToCA; 11-09-2011 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: lets not get into advertising, please

Old 11-06-2011, 04:32 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,151 times
That's a nice positive piece.
I'm glad you love the Monterey Bay.
And, if you don't mind (i can't help myself), it's "my family and I"

Old 11-06-2011, 08:11 PM

276 posts, read 774,232 times
Not enough enthusiasm MontereyFamily.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:49 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontereyFamily View Post
Me and family of 3 recently relocated to Monterey from Redondo beach after taking a regional manager position within my company. We had read so many exciting things about the city and had only read about the BIG SUR Beaches along the Central Coast. After doing a little research we were dying to pay the city a visit.

We were very nervous about the possibility of moving 6 hours away from our family and friends with absolutely no one up here we would know (except of course my fellow employees). However, we decided this opportunity was just too HUGE for me/us to pass up. This meant my wife would be able to stay home and spend more time with our 8 year old daughter after working as an Executive Admin Assistant for 7 years. We were very excited about the possibility of relocating to such a popular area but wanted to make sure we did our homework before making our official decision to accept the position.

After the long drive we arrive in Monterey and immediately fell in love! Nothing I can type could describe the beauty out here in Monterey County! The people out here seemed to live life in a more relaxing type of mind set. Coming from Socal this was a breath of fresh air!

We made sure to take advantage of our time out here by visiting potential communities to call home. Monterey is the definitely the priciest of local cities. However, if you want to enjoy the best living experience, Monterey is where it's at! We found a perfect little, well taken care of community within the city's popular Casanova Oak Knoll Neighborhood in the beautiful city of Monterey, near Fremont Blvd and Casanova Ave. We fell so much in love with the area that we decided to put a hold and an apartment that same weekend..lol

We returned back home with the biggest smile and good news to share with our family and friends that Monterey was in our near future. I gladly accepted the position and moved 2 weeks later.

We have been here since February 2011 and I must say we love it!! We found a perfect place to call our "little piece of heaven" here in Monterey! We have some of the best neighbors and always joke around about how perfect our life has become since moving out here..lol.. We all know life is not perfect but this seems to be the closest we can get!

I am really grateful for this opportunity to call Monterey our city! I never really had a chance to thank my Community Manager who played a big role in helping us find the perfect place to call our home with the best staff and neighbors anyone could ask for. We made many friends thanks to the monthly resident community events we have here..lol.. Settling in was easier than we thought! Monterey has some of the friendliest people!

Thank you MOD CUT and everyone else who have brought so much joy to our Family since moving here.

We love you Monterey!!

Sincerely,

Happy MontereyFamily

Have a Wonderful Life with many happy Adventures, in Monterey.

Several lustrum ago i lived in an apt at 666 Casanova Avenue. I have many great memories.

There was a Shell gas station at the corner then. Behind Shell was Cypress Bowl. A few blocks walk is Monterey Fairgrounds. FUn Times. A lot of festival's & concerts, dirt track races.

Last edited by NewToCA; 11-10-2011 at 04:16 PM..

Old 11-08-2011, 09:51 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Welcome to the Monterey Penninsula! I know what you mean about enjoying living here. Its been over three years now since we moved to the area and my wife still says she feels like we are living in a resort. Of couse no place is perfect. But for us its a great place to call home.

BTW, we are from the South Bay (Hermosa, Redondo, Manhattan, Torrance) as well originally. Its hard to believe we are living in the same state when comparing the two regions, they are so much different.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County