Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 04:31 PM

266 posts, read 1,002,460 times

Advertisements

My best friend is relocating to the Carmel area. Recent home prices in the area have taken a decided dip. So now it is affordable by Claifornia standards! Yes, I know it is all relative.

The cost of living is still a little higher than the Bay Area.
But, I suspect the cost of food and utilities are fairly low adue to the location to cheaper Salinas.

My friend does have a job as a barista.
Oh yeah, what is the surfing like in the area??

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 06:32 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den Mathias View Post
My best friend is relocating to the Carmel area. Recent home prices in the area have taken a decided dip. So now it is affordable by Claifornia standards! Yes, I know it is all relative.

But, I suspect the cost of food and utilities are fairly low adue to the location to cheaper Salinas.

Any thoughts?
He already secured the job?
What is his housing budget?

Maybe he'll do OK, and find a way to make it work, one way....or another....

Old 07-31-2009, 07:08 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,229 times
Quote:

Any thoughts?
The cost of living is higher than the Bay Area, and you consider this affordable by California standards? Also, are you suggesting that a barista is going to buy real estate, let alone real estate in Carmel? What do you think this is, 2006?

Old 07-31-2009, 07:11 PM

133 posts, read 191,241 times
A barista AKA coffee maker. Gee I'm that every morning.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:14 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesoranges View Post
A barista AKA coffee maker. Gee I'm that every morning.
Yeah. Me too. And my wife really appreciates it.

Carmel is a gorgeous, HIGH PRICED area and as far as I know, ain't any barista gonna be able to make it there on only those earnings.

Does he plan to "deal" under the counter?

Old 07-31-2009, 07:14 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:

Any thoughts?
On the Peninsula itself(Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove) costs are a bit high. Although I don't think they are any higher than SF generally speaking. And you can easily shop in Seaside or Marina. We normally shop at Trader Joes, Costco and Safeway. And there is a Savemart in Marina or Seaside I think. But buying in bulk helps. It really depends on what one likes and is used to. Locals find ways to save money unless of course they belong to the club and don't need to (eg - Clint Eastwood).LOL...

Surf is best at Asilomar Beach, Carmel Beach and Moss Landing to the north. Although Santa Cruz isn't really that far away and has many spots as well. Check this out for more info Monterey Surf.

Obviously since homes are not cheap even now it does make one wonder how a barista affords a house in Carmel? Unless of course working is just a hobby.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-31-2009 at 07:23 PM..

Old 07-31-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
He already secured the job?
What is his housing budget?

Maybe he'll do OK, and find a way to make it work, one way....or another....
He has a job in Monterey and he wants to get a roomie to defray the costs. He figures he can pay up to $1,000/month rent. He says the the tips are pretty good. He also moonlights as a chef/cook.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:47 PM

[quote=MtnSurfer;10046910]On the Peninsula itself(Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove) costs are a bit high. Although I don't think they are any higher than SF generally speaking. And you can easily shop in Seaside or Marina. We normally shop at Trader Joes, Costco and Safeway. And there is a Savemart in Marina or Seaside I think. But buying in bulk helps. It really depends on what one likes and is used to. Locals find ways to save money unless of course they belong to the club and don't need to (eg - Clint Eastwood).LOL...

Surf is best at Asilomar Beach, Carmel Beach and Moss Landing to the north. Although Santa Cruz isn't really that far away and has many spots as well. Check this out for more info Monterey Surf.

Obviously since homes are not cheap even now it does make one wonder how a barista affords a house in Carmel? Unless of course working is just a hobby.

It is Great they have a Costco and a Trader Joe's in the area. He will be pleased.
Thanks for the surf site. I surfed Moss ages ago and found it ok. My fav has always been Santa Cruz. !!!!

He is a very outgoing guy and he says he can make it. More power to him!

Old 08-01-2009, 09:45 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
He is a very outgoing guy and he says he can make it. More power to him!
More power to him indeed! With a good attitude like that he probably can.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:18 PM

115 posts, read 327,002 times
This is a rental company I have used in the past:
sancarlosagency.com

You will find that most realtors will bargin now too. My husband and I rent a house in Carmel that has 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom and is $2100. They originally wanted $2400.

Other local agencies:
PineCone"]www.pineconerentals.com/indexLongTerm.html]PineCone (http://www.pineconerentals.com/indexLongTerm.html - broken link)
www.mangoldproperties.com/index.php/properties?type=1]Mangold
[url=http://www.gormanre.com/]

It is SO expensive here. In fact, we are thinking about moving to the east coast to be closer to family and to find cheaper lodging.

Good Luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County