Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2010, 09:19 PM

3 posts, read 7,694 times

Advertisements

Hello all and thanks in advance for your help!
I was recently offered a job in Monterey, however the pay isn't super high. I'm looking to rent for awhile, but finding affordable housing has proved difficult! I am in need of a three bedroom preferably with a garage. House, apt, townhouse is all fine, as long as its clean and safe as I have a seven year old daughter. Any suggestions? What are some areas to look in? I have already been told not to go to Salinas, but I hear South Salinas isn't too bad. I'd prefer to live near work, so Monterey, Seaside, Marina? Any links to nice complexes would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 10:11 PM

8,175 posts, read 16,567,706 times
Most local rental companies now use craigslist in the Monterey area. With summer approaching and many students moving out it is actually a good time to start looking. Apartments.com also has some additional rentals on occasion.

I don't know where you are coming from. But Monterey is an expensive place to live primarily due to housing.

While South Salinas may not be too bad compared to the rest of Salinas you still have to consider the schools your daughter will be attending. Having a young child in Salinas is a different story than living there simply as an adult for work, cheaper rent, etc... Take a look at the school ratings here California School Performance Maps. Zoom into Monterey and then scroll around. You will notice that the best school districts are, you guessed it, in the nicer, more expensive communities - Monterey, Pacific Grove, Carmel.

A couple other options are Las Palmas and Toro Park which have some good schools. although prices there aren't much different from the Monterey coast.

I suggest starting in a good school district first in a more modest sized place rather than looking for a larger home in a seedier neighborhood or more questional school district. Botton line is there is no free lunch with regards to housing in this part of the state. You will get what you pay for and a whole lot less or more (crime, gangs, run down looking storefronts, streets, etc...) depending on the neighborhood.

Derek

Old 06-06-2010, 12:37 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,673,548 times
MtnSurfer offered good advice about where to live and which areas to avoid.

If you will be working in Monterey and choose to live in a city outside of Monterey but within the Monterey Peninsula School District, you can request an interdistrict transfer to have your daughter attend one of the better schools, like La Mesa Elementary.

If you choose to live outside the Monterey area and plan to live in Salinas but prefer to have your daughter attend one of the better schools, check out the Allen Bill Transfer.

I know this because two of my cousins lived in Marina, but attended La Mesa Elementary school. BTW, if you elect to live in Salinas, Toro Park Elementary is an excellent school.

MPUSD | Our District

Old 06-06-2010, 11:20 AM

3 posts, read 7,694 times
Thanks for your advice! I actually will be working for the Monterey Peninsula School District, so would want my daughter to attend one of their elementary schools. Thanks for the link on the school ratings, that helps alot. I have looked into Preston Park apts in Marina, any thoughts on that? And what about The Parks at Monterey Bay? Is that strictly Military housing? (I am not military)

Old 06-06-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessa928 View Post
Thanks for your advice! I actually will be working for the Monterey Peninsula School District, so would want my daughter to attend one of their elementary schools. Thanks for the link on the school ratings, that helps alot. I have looked into Preston Park apts in Marina, any thoughts on that? And what about The Parks at Monterey Bay? Is that strictly Military housing? (I am not military)
Well, I have co-workers who live in Marina and like. I know both Marina and seaside have more desirable and less desirable parts. For Seaside the part to avoid is the center of town with the smaller one way streets. As far as Marina goes I am not as sure.

The Parks at Monterey Bay are not just for military, although some are. I work with people who live on base at Fort Ord who are not in the military, but they do work for the Gov't in some fashion, as contractors, etc... However I have heard that certain developments are open to the larger community, I am not sure of the names. Check with Pinnacle Housing -https://montereybay.prospectportal.com/Apartments/module/guest_card/property[id]/17022/. They may know which ones are. Do mention that you will be teaching.

There are also some other developments for teachers and other moderate income families. Its a Monterey County thing which has some really nice places. You can even buy a house or condo through the program. A few friends of mine did that and got awesome deals. I'll see if I can find the info.

Here is one: http://www.monterey.org/housing/pdfs/affordablehsinginventory.pdf (broken link)

And another: http://www.ci.monterey.ca.us/housing/incomelimits.html (broken link)

Derek

Old 06-07-2010, 01:24 AM

Ok, here is another one: Moore's Landing | Map and Directions.

I just talked with some friends who are moving into Moore's Landing and they are not military at all. And they got a great deal on a place. Inventory can change weekly this time of the year. They actually went out looking when there were 7 places to choose from and they grabbed a nice one. But the week before there was only one vacancy.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County