Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 07:04 AM

333 posts, read 977,157 times

Advertisements

I am considering McGill University, so I have a few questions. Since I'd be going to the Sainte Anne campus how safe and friendly is this town? Also, same question about Montreal? In-case if I wanna drive there on days when I'm not as busy. I saw online that said 3 murders happened in Montreal so far this year. How bad is the violence/crime and is it just in little pockets here and there? I'd be moving by myself so gotta make sure it's safe. Also, going by other threads on here (if you're in Montreal anyways) you get treated like a 2nd class citizen if you don't speak French? =/ One more question, how is the mall in Pointe-Claire? I found it online. Just wanting to know about safety, friendliness, and if English speakers are not treated as well. I might try renting an apartment instead of staying in the dorms. Not 100% sure yet. Gee though, the dorms seem awfully expensive to live in. Their website says they're now $11,000-$12,000) for a year. Thanks though to all that help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 07:59 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
For $11-$12k you could rent a nice apartment downtown or rent a whole house in Ste Anne De Belleview, Crime is virtually non existant in St Anns and its a great little town to walk around in,many restaurants,clubs and bars on the waterfront, Transport to downtown can be a direct 30 minute drive down hwy 20 or an hour on the 211 bus or 45 minutes on the commuter train.
Dont worry about your lack of French you'll do fine as in your particular circumstance most people you'll meet will either be English or be able to speak English.
The west island mall you are referring to is called Fairview Mall.
The history

Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, Quebec - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The pics

ste anne de bellevue - Google Search

Last edited by jambo101; 08-07-2010 at 08:07 AM..

Old 08-07-2010, 10:31 AM

Wow, yea that's what I thought that rental prices should still be cheaper than $11-$12k. Any idea what websites I could use to find rental places there? I've tried in the past but it's hard as heck to find Canadian apartments online. Oh good, I'm glad to find out St. Anne's is safe. Nice, I enjoy walking anyway. Hmm wow, it's nice to have so many kinds of transportation. Good good Ah kk, I'd like to get a part-time there if I go there, so info on jobs would be great. Thanks for the links.

By the way, I noticed McGill is having Open House Oct. 24 & 25th this year so that's why I'm asking all this, because I'd really like to attend that and wanting some info on all this stuff beforehand. Thanks! G2g attend a wedding. Be back on Sunday.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygirl05 View Post
Any idea what websites I could use to find rental places there? I've tried in the past but it's hard as heck to find Canadian apartments online.
Heres a few on Craigslist in the Montreal west island area

http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/sea...pe=A&bedrooms=

And heres a few more specific to Ste Anne De Bellevue
http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/sea...pe=A&bedrooms=

Old 08-08-2010, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygirl05 View Post
Hmm wow, it's nice to have so many kinds of transportation. Good good .
I forgot to say you can also bicycle downtown on one of Montreals amazing network of bike paths

http://www.veloquebec.info/documents..._mtl_mai08.pdf

Old 08-08-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Heres a few on Craigslist in the Montreal west island area

montreal apts/housing for rent classifieds "west island " - craigslist

And heres a few more specific to Ste Anne De Bellevue
montreal apts/housing for rent classifieds "st anne de bellevue" - craigslist

O thanks for the links I wasn't wanting to actually spend that $11-12k, so do you know if I could rent anything there for about $400-$600 ish a month? Not sure if yall do yours weekly like England and Australia do.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
I forgot to say you can also bicycle downtown on one of Montreals amazing network of bike paths

http://www.veloquebec.info/documents..._mtl_mai08.pdf
Yea I thought I read something about them having bike paths. Sweet, I love riding bikes. I haven't had one in awhile and would like to get a really nice one, but they always cost about $300-$400 >.< which is ouch. Thanks for that

Old 08-09-2010, 02:25 AM

My Craigslist link should give you an idea of rent prices, doubt you'll get much more than a room for $400 a month.
Decent bikes usually start at the $350 range, $500 to $750 would be a good price range for a decent bike.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:05 AM

Quote:
My Craigslist link should give you an idea of rent prices, doubt you'll get much more than a room for $400 a month.
Decent bikes usually start at the $350 range, $500 to $750 would be a good price range for a decent bike.
Yea that's fine, I was only wanting a one bedroom apartment. I saw some on the links u gave me, and I've also come across a few myself. Mostly are in Montreal though, so not sure if I wanna travel 30 mins every day to campus. There's probably more selection closer by that just wouldn't be posted online. Maybe if I go to the McGill Open House I could check out rentals nearby. Hmm well I saw a few bikes get up to $500 ish, but none of the good brands I saw got up to $600 or $700. There's one I've seen this year online that I really like. It's teal with a graphic design on it. It's made by Trek. You can get 1 speed or 3 speed. It was $399. All the reviews for it were positive as well.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:16 AM

Let us know how your trip to Montreal turns out.
Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal