Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 08:21 PM

337 posts, read 269,158 times

Advertisements

Hello I'm a student looking into graduate programs in art therapy, and am very interested in the art therapy program at Concordia. The foremost reason I am interested is because I am a dual citizen of Canada and the US, although I currently live in the US. Also my family has a place in Montreal, so the option to live there is available. I unfortunately could not find out many details about the program in context with other programs, but I know it is a very good school.

I was hoping to learn however, if the program is more geared towards the clinical aspect and interpretation of the art or the process of making the art? And I was also wondering, if i chose to go back to the United States to obtain a doctorate in psychology, would schools there be familiar with the school/program? Or would my internships/work experience count more?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 08:49 PM

oh! and I forgot to mention that I do not speak french well at all. I have a friend who has lived there many years and socially got by each day speaking english because people would switch when they realized she was a native french speaker (infact because of this she hardly practiced and her french got worse), however now that she is out of school she cannot find a job because she can't speak french fluently :\

would this language obstacle make it significantly harder to get internships/a job? Or are there particular intensive programs in Montreal to learn french?

Old 08-28-2010, 06:42 AM

43 posts, read 173,802 times
Just give them a call, they'll be glad to answer all these questions for you.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:11 PM

thanks for your reply! i will

Old 08-29-2010, 07:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,348,810 times
Homepage - Creative Arts Therapies - Concordia University

Old 08-30-2010, 02:27 PM

thank you!!

Old 08-31-2010, 01:27 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,071,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayei View Post
oh! and I forgot to mention that I do not speak french well at all. I have a friend who has lived there many years and socially got by each day speaking english because people would switch when they realized she was a native french speaker (infact because of this she hardly practiced and her french got worse), however now that she is out of school she cannot find a job because she can't speak french fluently :\

would this language obstacle make it significantly harder to get internships/a job? Or are there particular intensive programs in Montreal to learn french?
It is actually quite common for people like this to get lulled into thinking they don't need French in Montreal. They go to McGill or Concordia, hang out downtown almost exclusively (which is where all the tourists are). Then they bump into a different reality when entering the job market.

Some also end up getting entry-level positions in their field speaking only English, and then find themselves with little opportunity for advancement because other positions in the organization require a knowledge of French.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:29 PM

Yes, I agree! I can practice speaking French with my family, however knowing me I know I would most likely improve the most if I entered an intensive program. I spent 5 days (not enough) with a family in France for a program in high school and found I already improved. So should I go to Montreal to study I will definitely enroll in one of these programs and take classes, as I know it is difficult to make a living without being biligual.

However is it necessary to be perfectly fluent before you are hired by someplace, or is it alright to be a bit stilted, but still comfortable enough to get by?

Old 09-04-2010, 07:33 PM

Oh.. I forgot to ask haha, is there an option to take the classes in Concordia in French? My friend who went to school in McGill I think said there was an option to take the same classes in French... thanks so much!

Old 09-05-2010, 06:43 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,071,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayei View Post
Oh.. I forgot to ask haha, is there an option to take the classes in Concordia in French? My friend who went to school in McGill I think said there was an option to take the same classes in French... thanks so much!
It is not an across-the-board option, but you can do it in some programs at McGill and Concordia. You will likely have the possibility to use French at some point, probably with respect to field work, papers you write or exams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal