Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 07:33 PM

433 posts, read 1,371,421 times

Advertisements

Hey Montrealers, I've been looking for a job lately and I've been avoiding the jobs that require alot of customer service, due to my limited French ability. I would rate my French about a 7/10. I've been thinking that maybe I can get a job maybe as a restaurant cashier, like in a Subway restaurant.

I would assume it could be easy for me because when taking customer's orders, you would just have to say the names of food and the prices, and I think I could do that easily. I've been to Subway many times, and I know how they take orders, I could just repeat what I've heard. A case of bad grammar might spill out on occasion, but would that really matter? What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 03:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,375,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
Hey Montrealers, I've been looking for a job lately and I've been avoiding the jobs that require alot of customer service, due to my limited French ability. I would rate my French about a 7/10. I've been thinking that maybe I can get a job maybe as a restaurant cashier, like in a Subway restaurant.

I would assume it could be easy for me because when taking customer's orders, you would just have to say the names of food and the prices, and I think I could do that easily. I've been to Subway many times, and I know how they take orders, I could just repeat what I've heard. A case of bad grammar might spill out on occasion, but would that really matter? What do you guys think?
How did you manage to come through the Quebec school system without becoming very comfortable in French?
Even though both my daughters attended school in the English school board most of the education was at least 50% en Francais..
Yeah fast food joints might give you a chance but dont volunteer the fact that your proficiency in French is lacking, if they ask if you can speak French say yes,let the interviewer make the decision as to whether your French is good enough and if you are grading yourself as 7 out of 10 your French should be very good.
For part time jobs one of my daughters works at La Ronde every summer,the other is working part time at a Second Cup.Not really much future in these types of jobs but they do give the kids some extra spending money while they are attending college and it gets the ball rolling on their careers in the job market.
Good luck.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:08 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,097,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
How did you manage to come through the Quebec school system without becoming very comfortable in French?
I have been asking myself the same question.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:20 AM

If you have a drivers license you could try to get employment at a rent-a-car company jockeying cars around or a car dealer doing basically the same thing,getting a truck drivers class 1 license would open up a whole range of bus and truck driving opportunities.In the spring all the golf courses around the Montreal area will need groundskeepers.If you see one of those fairs in the parking lot of a mall they are usually in need of people to travel with them.I'd also look into general laborer in mines or construction sites up north.
I'd also fully exploit any networking potential with friends or family..

Old 01-02-2011, 01:03 PM

mtlquebec102, dont take this the wrong way i'm just trying to help.
Going over your posts you seem to be very tentative, shy,negative, afraid to take chances, you may benefit from a stint in Canadas Armed Forces it may toughen you up a bit and also train you in a viable job for the future.
FORCES.CA - Home

Last edited by jambo101; 01-02-2011 at 01:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal