Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 03:26 PM

5 posts, read 3,956 times

Advertisements

Thank you in advance for your help! I’m a 33 year old single mother (Her father passed away while I was pregnant) to a 1 year old daughter. We plan on moving to Montréal from California in July - with my 2 large dogs. I grew up in Minnesota, and spent this past winter there, so the weather doesn’t concern me.

I do not speak French, but am currently enrolled in college online and am working towards a French degree (just to help with becoming fluent). We also take a weekly mommy & me French class.

Although we do not speak French, yet I would love a francophone neighborhood. I feel like the immersion would drastically increase my proficiency with the language.

I will have a car, but I really would like to use the metro primarily. So a neighborhood with easy access to the train would be ideal.

We are very social, and love to be out and about. So a neighborhood with high walkability that has parks, stores, restaurants, coffee shops, and events/coffee shops would be great.

Before California, I lived in a high rise building in downtown Chicago for 3 years. That was my favorite city to live in. So, I love the hustle & bustle of a city.

I work for myself in the US, and will be traveling back to my office (which is being moved to Vermont) on occasion. So close proximity to a job isn’t important.

Any neighborhood recommendations based off of what I posted above. Thanks again. I really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 04:20 PM

35,308 posts, read 52,504,060 times
French is spoken all over Montreal, neighborhoods i would suggest
NDG
Verdun
Lasalle
You never said why you prefer Montreal .

Old 03-15-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
French is spoken all over Montreal, neighborhoods i would suggest
NDG
Verdun
Lasalle
You never said why you prefer Montreal .
My daughter’s paternal grandmother lives in the suburbs, and she’s been coming to the US to help me a lot. We are very close. So the move would really be to live closer to her, and honestly - I’m looking for a change. Before baby, I visited Montréal often and always wanted to live there. I feel like now is the time to give it a try before my daughter starts school, and I’ll need to purchase and settle down some place.

Thank you for the recommendations. I saw a couple places in Verdun that I liked, as well as LaSalle. Although I’ve never been to either yet, I’m glad to see them on your list. We’re visiting in June to meet with a realtor to help us find a place. So I wanted to have some favorites and favorite neighborhoods going into the search.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:39 AM

196 posts, read 218,132 times
What's the monthly budget for housing (USD or CAD)?

Also, around where does the grandma live?

Old 03-16-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudReader View Post
What's the monthly budget for housing (USD or CAD)?

Also, around where does the grandma live?
My budget is up to $4500 CAD, but I would prefer something in the $3500 CAD range.

She lives in Boucherville.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:20 AM

196 posts, read 218,132 times
With that kind of budget, you can rent basically anywhere. Given your criteria, I would look for a location at the base of Mont Royal (Montreal's Central Park). Places like Golden Square Mile (Anglo), Westmount (Anglo), Outremount (Franco), around the Université de Montréal region (Franco). They all have easy metro and greenspace access. Another very nice, vibrant location is the Monkland Village.

I would favor getting a dedicated parking spot for your car. Street parking in the winter months in the city is hell. If you do have to street park, get a AWD vehicle. It will greatly reduce the amount of shoveling you have to do.

Another location that could be interesting is Nun's Island (Franco). They have a dedicated bus into town that does not suffer from congestion (as long as you live near that bus route). Housing types of all sorts are available there, and easier car grocery shopping experience with normal parking lots -unlike downtown. It also happens to be situated on the highway leading you to the South Shore and Boucherville.

Btw, with that kind of monthly housing budget, I'd consider buying a house. Montreal's detached single family home prices have been undervalued and are heating up with Toronto and Vancouver enacting regulations in recent years. It would be filling a housing and investment need at the same time.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
With that kind of budget, you can rent basically anywhere. Given your criteria, I would look for a location at the base of Mont Royal (Montreal's Central Park). Places like Golden Square Mile (Anglo), Westmount (Anglo), Outremount (Franco), around the Université de Montréal region (Franco). They all have easy metro and greenspace access. Another very nice, vibrant location is the Monkland Village.

I would favor getting a dedicated parking spot for your car. Street parking in the winter months in the city is hell. If you do have to street park, get a AWD vehicle. It will greatly reduce the amount of shoveling you have to do.

Another location that could be interesting is Nun's Island (Franco). They have a dedicated bus into town that does not suffer from congestion (as long as you live near that bus route). Housing types of all sorts are available there, and easier car grocery shopping experience with normal parking lots -unlike downtown. It also happens to be situated on the highway leading you to the South Shore and Boucherville.

Btw, with that kind of monthly housing budget, I'd consider buying a house. Montreal's detached single family home prices have been undervalued and are heating up with Toronto and Vancouver enacting regulations in recent years. It would be filling a housing and investment need at the same time.
This is amazing. Thank you so much for taking the time to give me such great recommendations. I’ll take a look into all of those areas that you suggested. Never even heard of Monkland Village.

Thanks again!

Old 03-16-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Problem solved if you move into a highrise with underground parking.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:41 AM

For $35 -$4500 you can get pretty much any highrise you want, I'm currently paying $1000 a month for a 4 and a half room apt high rise in Dorval, In the basement there are 70 indoor parking spots.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
For $35 -$4500 you can get pretty much any highrise you want, I'm currently paying $1000 a month for a 4 and a half room apt high rise in Dorval, In the basement there are 70 indoor parking spots.
Wow! That’s an incredible deal! What’s Dorval like? Is it walkable? I prefer to walk or train more often than drive. I really only hope to have to use my vehicle when driving to grandma’s or Vermont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal