Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 01:09 PM

86 posts, read 206,729 times

Advertisements

I visited Montreal over the summer(I'm going to apply to McGill for my masters and was visiting) and was a little surprised how much English I heard being spoken for such a French city. Granted, I was mostly around McGill and Vieux-Montreal so I certainly wasn't in the most francophone of spots,(and it was tourist season) but I was still surprised. Even when I held the door for another man he said "Thank You" instead of "Merci". I'm aware it is a very bilingual city, but the conversations must have been at a 3:2 ratio of French to English which doesn't match the language demographics of the city.

That being said I've taken a little bit of an interest in the language wars of Quebec, as an American. Do you guys think that Montreal is becoming more English as time goes on? Is French losing ground? Or is everything being blown out of proportion? I'm curious to see what actual inhabitants of the province think, those who have much more experience with the city than I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 01:17 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4tribe View Post
I visited Montreal over the summer(I'm going to apply to McGill for my masters and was visiting) and was a little surprised how much English I heard being spoken for such a French city. Granted, I was mostly around McGill and Vieux-Montreal so I certainly wasn't in the most francophone of spots,(and it was tourist season) but I was still surprised. Even when I held the door for another man he said "Thank You" instead of "Merci". I'm aware it is a very bilingual city, but the conversations must have been at a 3:2 ratio of French to English which doesn't match the language demographics of the city.

That being said I've taken a little bit of an interest in the language wars of Quebec, as an American. Do you guys think that Montreal is becoming more English as time goes on? Is French losing ground? Or is everything being blown out of proportion? I'm curious to see what actual inhabitants of the province think, those who have much more experience with the city than I do.
No and no. I find that Frecnch is gaining ground.
I work in a small English hospital, where the majority of the clients speak English. However, èverything is now in French, from posters to directions to menus to emails to inservices. Even much of the new staff being hired is unilingual francophone, which is beyond insane. They can't communicate with the patients.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:21 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
No, it used to be even more English than this, it's definitely French gaining ground with English staying basically stable.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:45 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
I would say that English has undergone a slight resurgence over the past few years, but still, as others have said it's nothing compared to how "English" Montreal was even as recently as the late 1970s.

In those days a visitor from somewhere else in Canada and the U.S. would not have noticed as much of a difference as today between Montreal and their hometowns.

Night Life Montréal 1950 - YouTube

As for the people walking around downtown speaking in English, yeah probably about half of them are locals (Montreal has a good 20-25% anglo population) and roughly another half are people from other parts of Canada or from the States spending time in the city.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:57 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
It's also worth noting that even though some of us are speaking English, we speak French too. If I am with my bilingual friends, we tend to speak English. That, and it's easy to spot a tourist! Living out in a small French town, I can spot "ONTARIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" a million miles away

Old 10-30-2013, 10:05 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,095,203 times
I can't believe how warped people's view of Montreal has become after only a few decades. Now all of the sudden Montreal is a Francophone city where English is a foreign language, forcing it's way in?

Old 10-30-2013, 10:25 PM

77 posts, read 103,520 times
Well you were there during summer when all the tourists from English Canada and Americans visit by millions....

Montreal is French speaking and you hear on a typical day more English on the streets of Paris, Stockholm and Copenhagen than in Montreal.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:27 PM

77 posts, read 103,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I can't believe how warped people's view of Montreal has become after only a few decades. Now all of the sudden Montreal is a Francophone city where English is a foreign language, forcing it's way in?
Montreal is officially French speaking city. English is a minority language, and yes foreign.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:57 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Its a political ploy, The separatist government has mandated its followers to label the bilingual city of Montreal a French city even though in reality anyone can see its a bilingual city.,its all part of the ongoing effort from the separatists to marginalize Anglos with the hope they'll all realize theres no place for them in Quebec and they'll all leave leaving Quebec a pure francophone demographic/country.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:02 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejsito View Post
Montreal is officially French speaking city. English is a minority language, and yes foreign.
I become so sad when I hear people say things like this, like my people never even existed, despite such a storied history. In my own country, in BC, I hear things like this. The English speaking community with which I identify culturally has been in Montreal for 250 years. We are not foreigners, and I spit on the separatists for not constructing an idea of nationalism that could include and accept that reality. Hell, if they could, I wouldn't care so much to fight that ideology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal