U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2017, 09:20 AM

10,214 posts, read 8,520,934 times

Advertisements

How much is modern Quebec Cuisine influenced by modern French Cuisine if at all? Or is it is own thing? Or is it influenced more by development in North America or USA ?

When I in Baie St Paul, seem like a lot of french inspired restaurants like L'Orange or something like that. The Old Quebec colonial village tourist trap also seemed to have a lot french style bistros. Same for the Montreal Old Port.

Of course there is also the Tim Hortons, St Huberts, Eggspectations, Baton Rouge. But what about the home cooking?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 10:11 AM

24,336 posts, read 30,580,891 times
In my experience the finer and higher end tourist restaurants generally have a fusion cuisine that mix in French stuff with Québécois stuff.

A good example would be the multiple varieties of de luxe poutines that these places often serve, with the fries laden with filet mignon or high-end wild game, with a nicer cheese like brie and a demi-glace sauce instead of the regular poutine sauce in a can.

In everyday life of course people don't eat that very often.

Meals in most households are similar those in western countries, the usual dishes like pasta, beef, chicken, pork, etc. are very common. Mexican food is popular, as is Asian food like Thai. In SW Quebec (Montreal-Gatineau) Lebanese cuisine is also very popular. The croque-monsieur and croque-madame French varieties on the "grilled cheese" are common, as is the standard "grilled-cheese" sandwich too.

Wild game like moose and deer and sometimes on the menu in the months after hunting season. It's easy to find them in grocery stores too, as is horse, wild boar, bison, etc. Walleye (known in French as Doré) is also a very common dish during the fishing season. It's very common to see community all you can eat walleye dinners advertised as fundraisers all over Quebec.

The Québécois meat pie tourtière is very common, as is pâté au poulet (chicken pot pie), and pâté chinois which is somewhat similar to shepherd's pie.

Baked beans and pea soup are also traditional cuisine. French onion soup is also common.

You also have cretons which are very similar to French rillettes (de porc).

Snack food in casse-croûtes is dominated by poutine of course and steamed hot dogs as opposed to grilled. An all-dressed hot dog has mustard and chopped onions and cabbage. Not sure how common that is elsewhere but it is the standard here.

Desserts are similar to elsewhere in North America and the western world with more emphasis on French-style pastries, and notable local additions like pouding chômeur, tarte au sucre, pets de soeur, etc.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:26 AM

519 posts, read 502,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
(...) Snack food in casse-croûtes is dominated by poutine of course and steamed hot dogs as opposed to grilled. An all-dressed hot dog has mustard and chopped onions and cabbage. Not sure how common that is elsewhere but it is the standard here. (...)
And relish! But no ketchup

Old 10-26-2017, 02:22 PM

2,765 posts, read 4,371,929 times
Quote:
Snack food in casse-croûtes is dominated by poutine of course and steamed hot dogs as opposed to grilled. An all-dressed hot dog has mustard and chopped onions and cabbage. Not sure how common that is elsewhere but it is the standard here.
It's been a long time since I had a proper Chicago-style hot dog but it's somewhat similar. No cabbage and more stuff but it's steamed, with mustard and chopped onions at its core, and no ketchup.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:27 PM

24,336 posts, read 30,580,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
It's been a long time since I had a proper Chicago-style hot dog but it's somewhat similar. No cabbage and more stuff but it's steamed, with mustard and chopped onions at its core, and no ketchup.
Another hot dog that is popular in Quebec is the "Michigan". Apparently it's also popular in northern New York state, but not really, I gather, in the state of Michigan itself.

In Quebec a Michigan is a steamed hot dog with some type of red sauce, usually tomato sometimes bolognese spaghetti sauce. I think they also put chopped onions on there.

I am going from observations as I don't eat these hot dogs.

But I do like a good poutine de luxe.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:36 PM

12,259 posts, read 8,937,644 times
Quote:
Another hot dog that is popular in Quebec is the "Michigan". Apparently it's also popular in northern New York state, but not really, I gather, in the state of Michigan itself.

In Quebec a Michigan is a steamed hot dog with some type of red sauce, usually tomato sometimes bolognese spaghetti sauce. I think they also put chopped onions on there.

Ugh! I remember those abominations. I don't eat hot dogs either, but I did on occasion as a kid, and I recall some of my hockey teammates ordering this "Hot Dog Michigan." I tried it once -- never again. I believe it was some sort of spaghetti sauce.

Poutine, however, I will destroy in a heartbeat.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:13 AM

873 posts, read 326,885 times
Quote:

Actually, look the genesis of a Michigan hot dog is the famous Coney Island dog from Detroit region. A traveling salesman brought the idea over to Northern NY state and Southern Québec in the late thirties.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:52 AM

35,318 posts, read 45,285,497 times
Local Lafleurs restaurant has Michigans, basically a hot dog with meat sauce, i like em once in a while but they can be a mess to eat -http://restolafleur.com/assets/images/trio_michigan.png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal